Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poached eggs - a disaster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Just thought Id let people know that I tried the poached egg paper bags from aldi and they are the great. Im in business at last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had poached eggs for brunch this morning.
    Little bit of vinegar in the water. No swirling because I wanted to do 4 eggs in the same pot. Dropped them into barely simmering water from 4 ramekins. Timed 3.5 minutes. Dried on kitchen paper. I bought the eggs from a market yesterday so was hoping for super fresh but these weren't that great. They really spread out and became wispy in the pan but I resisted going at them and they came out alright in the end although I did lose a good bit of the white.

W0RIlxf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Apparently my dad is an egg poaching prodigy. Mum reports that despite having never poached an egg before he poached one perfectly last week. Further proof that the key to doing something easily is not to know how difficult it is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Re - where to find fresh eggs, try your local independent health shop (not one from a chain!), they often stock local produce, often organic too, including very fresh eggs. You could also try one of the farmers' markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I find fresh eggs in the hen house every morning,

Poach in a frying pan, knob of real butter & boiling water,

NO hollandaise...

Simples.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

The problem here is when cracking the egg over the water, this doesn't always go according to plan. Try cracking the egg, slowly and gently, into a small bowl. Then when the water is hot enough(not too hot!) Slip the egg gently into the water. Give it 3mins Max and then for a nice runny egg, cut into it as soon as its done on the plate, otherwise it will keep cooking and become hard and yucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have one further tip to add to the use FRESH eggs only (this is a must, buy them that day or the previous day and check the dates stamped on them)

I find medium eggs easier to poach than large or extra large. There is way more white in large and extra large, so it's more likely to go mad on you.

Medium fresh egg, crack it into a small bowl while you wait for the water to heat. You should be able to see that it all stays tightly together in the small bowl before you even drop it in.

Any old unelastic eggs? Scramble or put them in pancakes instead. I think egg shelf life is about a month. You can also do the test for freshness with an egg in a bowl of water. If it lies down, it's fresh. Egg standing up = old.

Delia has very clear pics here.
    http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/eggs/how-to-tell-how-old-an-egg-is.html

Austin1 wrote: »
    The problem here is when cracking the egg over the water, this doesn't always go according to plan. Try cracking the egg, slowly and gently, into a small bowl. Then when the water is hot enough(not too hot!) Slip the egg gently into the water. Give it 3mins Max and then for a nice runny egg, cut into it as soon as its done on the plate, otherwise it will keep cooking and become hard and yucky!

I'd follow this with always crack your egg into a glass or cup, never directly into whatever you're cooking/baking. That way on the off-chance that you get a bad egg you won't ruin whatever it is you're making.

Incidentally I have about a dozen eggs to use up (bought 10, then got given a present of a dozen from my hen-keeping brother). Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

I was never able to get poached eggs right until my mother in law told me coat the bottom of the pot with a small knob of butter before you add the boiling water. I turn the heat way down before adding the egg and it turns out perfect every time! You've inspired me to have some this morning for breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

kylith wrote: »
    That way on the off-chance that you get a bad egg you won't ruin whatever it is you're making.

I've never (and I don't even think I know anyone who has ever) found a so called "bad egg". I think its one of these things that people worry about way more than they should.

• Advertisement

I've never (and I don't even think I know anyone who has ever) found a so called "bad egg". I think its one of these things that people worry about way more than they should.

I never have either, but it's only one more glass to wash so I do it anyway, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

kylith wrote: »
    I never have either, but it's only one more glass to wash so I do it anyway, just in case.

It's not the case of bad egg, more like avoiding a huge mess in the simmering pot should the yolk break. Always, always, break your egg in a cup beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I often take the lazy way and use the microwave.
    • Take a small side bowl and fill 3/4 way with water
    • carefully crack the egg into it
    • Cover and cook on high power for between 50 seconds to 1 minute.
    • Drain water and remove egg with a slotted spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just thought Id let people know that I tried the poached egg paper bags from aldi and they are the great. Im in business at last!!

Does the egg actually come in direct contact with the water? Cause if it's just sitting in the bag cooking by indirect heat then it's not poached, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Does the egg actually come in direct contact with the water? Cause if it's just sitting in the bag cooking by indirect heat then it's not poached, imo.
    The bags are thin and very porous and so do let water in. I use them myself as despite being able to cook practically everything else quite well, if I say so myself, poached eggs always eluded me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

matrim wrote: »
    I often take the lazy way and use the microwave.
    • Take a small side bowl and fill 3/4 way with water
    • carefully crack the egg into it
    • Cover and cook on high power for between 50 seconds to 1 minute.
    • Drain water and remove egg with a slotted spoon.

Hot or cold water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

My mammy makes savage poached eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hot or cold water?

Start with cold water.

It's pretty much what happens in this video

You might not need to cover the bowl too. The video doesn't bother and TBH I don't either but the original way I saw to do it recommended to cover the bowl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

matrim wrote: »
    Start with cold water.

It's pretty much what happens in this video

You might not need to cover the bowl too. The video doesn't bother and TBH I don't either but the original way I saw to do it recommended to cover the bowl

I tried this last night and it went badly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tree wrote: »
    Also, sieving off the old whites as suggested above would work. The eggwhite is laid down in layers of thick and thin white, and the thick white degrades and thins over time, so just ditch it.

That's the real issue when it comes to making a good poached egg. It's the separation of the whites, over time, from a thick gloopy consistency into a super light watery consistency that ends up going everywhere when added to the water.

If you crack an egg onto a plate (with a high rim) or into a wide bowl you can see the different types of white. Fresh eggs tend to have minimal amounts of the watery whites which obviously means less spreading when cooking.

I've tried the clingfilm method a good few times but I've always found it to be too much faffing about. Plus I can always taste the clingfilm off the eggs.

I always have eggs for breakfast at the weekend, normally fried, as I find them really easy to do perfectly and once drained on kitchen paper there is minimal amount of fat left on them. Scrambled eggs the odd time too. Must give some poached eggs a bash this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I guess I'm one of the lucky few who can 'naturally' poach an egg.
    • I boil water in a saucepan,
    • reduce the heat so water's not bubbling,
    • crack eggs in,
    • leave for 3 minutes
    • take them out with a slotted spoon.
    I use eggs I've bought in the shop, no searching for ones laid that morning or anything.

I don't get how this doesn't work for people. My brother won't poach them even though we could both use the same pan, water and eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

We've one of these so never have to worry about poaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Have a clean pan and instead of oil use water gently heat and add eggs as if frying them. Poached eggs come out perfect every time.

sup_dude wrote: »
    We've one of these so never have to worry about poaching.

Good for coddled eggs.
    Won't do poached eggs

They come out poached every time, not coddled. Water can get into the cups

sup_dude wrote: »
    They come out poached every time, not coddled.

If you insist.

If you insist.

Which is why they're called poachers, not coddlers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Miaow, the poachers come gamekeepers can be a bit catty! AH for you now...

Just keep trying to get it right for you, is my advice, read the posts here and you will get it eventually.

I can poach eggs ok. But sometimes the whites run away on me too! slightly older eggs I suppose, but I still eat them!

Lovely on hot buttered toast, sprinkle of sea salt. OMG.

Is there anything nicer?

(I'm sure there is, but for now.... no)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@Spanish Eyes - "is there anything nicer?"

Well, they are pretty damn good: but a splodge of Hollandaise sauce on top, or a slice of ham underneath, or both, is a very fine variation, too.

Or serve on slightly-melted-Gruyere, on toast - mmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Whoever here suggested the shallow pan method, I thank you :)
    I've been poaching the simmer-vinegar-swirl method for years. From today onwards, no more. Shallow pan is the way to go in this kitchen.

Advertisement