Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poached eggs - a disaster

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Does the egg actually come in direct contact with the water? Cause if it's just sitting in the bag cooking by indirect heat then it's not poached, imo.

Yes, the paper bags are permeable and allow the water through. In fact, I've been having poached eggs most days! Where can you buy really fresh eggs around the sutton / howth area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I guess I'm one of the lucky few who can 'naturally' poach an egg.
    • I boil water in a saucepan,
    • reduce the heat so water's not bubbling,
    • crack eggs in,
    • leave for 3 minutes
    • take them out with a slotted spoon.
    I use eggs I've bought in the shop, no searching for ones laid that morning or anything.

I don't get how this doesn't work for people. My brother won't poach them even though we could both use the same pan, water and eggs.

I dont get how it can be so seamless. My volition to succeed without using stabilisers (poached egg bags) knows no bounds.

During the week I tried without the bags and it was again, a disaster. Egg white diffused in the water and they were horrible. I am convinced it's the eggs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Hi all

I have tried countless times to make poached eggs, but each and every single solitary time, the water becomes an nebulous milky white (from the egg whites) and it results in a mess. I can't see the eggs anymore and when I manage to remove what is left of them, the pot is covered in egg white.

I habe tried using / not using a vortex when feeding the eggs into the pot.

I have tried adding vinegar.

I always use large free range eggs.

I have tried praying to the madonna.

Nothing works. Did anyone else have this problem before? Any other suggestions?
    Hi.
    I had given up on making poached eggs for exactly the same reason...I couldnt bloody do it!
    Until i got myself a few chickens and the trick really is as simple as having very very fresh eggs. A day or so old . The fresher the better.
    Its as simple as dumping em in the water. No vinegar or lemon juice needed.
    But what does work if you cant get uber fresh eggs is to get a few of those single egg frying pans and do the poachies in those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

RasTa wrote: »
    Microwaving eggs should be illegal.

You'd be one of those people I often meet in the office kitchen telling me I can't put eggs in the microwave. The same people who have a stroke when I'm making boiled eggs and I go, "Its ok, Im wrapping them in tin foil".

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭flunkyfearsome

I usually do the cling film trick, no bloody sticking to the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

syklops wrote: »
    You'd be one of those people I often meet in the office kitchen telling me I can't put eggs in the microwave. The same people who have a stroke when I'm making boiled eggs and I go, "Its ok, Im wrapping them in tin foil".

Oh I would tell you every single time, then report you to HR for crimes against something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

RasTa wrote: »
    Oh I would tell you every single time, then report you to HR for crimes against something.

Any particular crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Any particular crime?

Something egg-tremely dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You'd be one of those people I often meet in the office kitchen telling me I can't put eggs in the microwave. The same people who have a stroke when I'm making boiled eggs and I go, "Its ok, Im wrapping them in tin foil".[/QUOTE]

Sorry, what now :confused::confused:

Advertisement