Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late?

• 11-08-2015 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi folks,

First time post here. I was thinking of a career change into games development and was thinking am i too old (43)? My background is sys admin/support but im tired of it now. I have a HDip in web technologies and can learn stuff very quick.

Thanks
    Ger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

never to late to change career paths in my opinion.

Do what makes you happy and if you think that is in game development, then go for it !!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Hi Gerada. It's likely more down to determination and willingness to put in the hours than age. Do you mind me asking what languages you are familiar with, and in what type of environment you'd like to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

As mentioned above, determination and drive will be what determines this, but we should point out some important facts that are worth knowing before you try to launch yourself down a different career path
    1. The games industry in Ireland is not big yet, but it is growing, this means you're looking at moving away from large companies and comfortable positions, you're instead looking at contract roles and start ups
    2. It's an unfortunate fact that unless you have a very transferable skill set, you're going into the bottom rung of the ladder in the games industry, an industry, I know from experience, pays peanuts at the bottom.
    3. If you're looking for work on AAA titles, Ireland is not a good spot to do it, in reality your options in Ireland, are web flash games and mobile titles.
    4. If you're sick of the sys admin stuff, does that mean you want to go into development? Development of games is tricky enough, optimisation is important and no demographic is more argumentative as a consumer base than gamers so you have to be good. There is definitely scope for sys admin work in games too.
    5. Games industry is still small enough that networking is hugely important, getting in will be hugely helped by getting to know the people. Go to the gamedevelopers.ie shindigs and you'll get to know them.
    6. Start a game or something to show your skills, it will greatly help your chances when you are looking for work.

I hope I'm not putting a downer on this, but I think you should go in with your eyes open. I'm not saying you shouldn't or couldn't get a job in games, but it is difficult to do, for anyone.

Advertisement