Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highly rated games you have been dissapointed with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Far cry 3 is a fantastic 10 hour game stretched thin over a 50 hour game.

Far Cry 4 makes Far Cry 3 look like a compact and tight story/adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Destiny .so hyped up .yet so average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I know there is going to be a few people who will disagree but for me Fallout 3 falls into this.
    I just couldn't get into the game and I gave it a real decent go.
    Just I stopped playing it and I didn't feel like putting back on again.

Far cry 3 is the same.
    I was crouching in the grass about to kill someone fired the gun killed them then a tiger attacks me.
    Nah that was too annoying for me to ever go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Have a mate that thinks I'm delusional because of this.

The last of us. Just couldn't get into it whatsoever. Didn't enjoy playing it one bit.

And I love most apocalyptic type games and zombie games. Just didn't get into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Elite dangerous. Pile of ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Skyrim , felt like a lifeless world, dragons quickly became annoying.

Felt like a such waste to have such a beautiful landscape but have every mission send you into a bloody dungeon!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

coolisin wrote: »
    I know there is going to be a few people who will disagree but for me Fallout 3 falls into this.
    I just couldn't get into the game and I gave it a real decent go.
    Just I stopped playing it and I didn't feel like putting back on again.

I was the same, except that because of how highly rated it was, I did put it back on again and try playing it again, and barely got much further before I stopped again. And then a few months later, I f*cking tried it again, and still couldn't really be bothered with it.

I just couldn't get into it at all. Nothing about it interested me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

bioshock infinite really wasnt the best game I ever played, a bit on the 'supernatural'' side, the ending was good though. it didnt make sense what I was getting into until a good bit into the story. At some points I was like ''what?''

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Final Fantasy 7. I didn't play it when it first came out, only got it about a year ago, and at no point did I understand what the hype was all about. Felt like my friends oversold it in the hardest way, it was a good game but nowhere near the earth shattering masterpiece I was lead to believe it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Far Cry 4, just felt meh from start to finish, which surprised me because I loved 3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Angron wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 7. I didn't play it when it first came out, only got it about a year ago, and at no point did I understand what the hype was all about. Felt like my friends oversold it in the hardest way, it was a good game but nowhere near the earth shattering masterpiece I was lead to believe it was.

It's dated very badly at this stage and the battle system is hair pullingly slow with little to no strategy. The story is pretty ropey as well. It's way over rated at this stage and really not that great a JRPG so nothing wrong with feeling that way about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

brady12 wrote: »

Came in to post this. Will admit it was partly down to me expecting another Halo. Played through the campaign despite it's nonsense story, repetitive missions and terrible voice acting in a few days and tossed it aside.

Picked it back up about a week ago and started playing multiplayer and while it adds a little to it I have never played a game before where it seems like my actions have so little impact on the outcome of the match. If I score 3000 points or 0, the match still follows the same pattern.

+1 for Fallout 3, I just don't get the love, found it frustrating and boring. I found it's gun/ammo/weight/carrying capacity thing a pain, realistic though it may be

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Luke92 wrote: »
    The last of us. Just couldn't get into it whatsoever. Didn't enjoy playing it one bit.

And I love most apocalyptic type games and zombie games. Just didn't get into it!

No! How?! I loved this game, it was spectacular, the storytelling, the character development, the visuals, it was fantastic!!

I think I need to unfollow this thread.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a highly rated game I didn't enjoy and I can't think of any! Uncharted, The Last of Us, Batman series, Final Fantasy series, Resident Evil Series, they were all great!

I suppose if I had to pick I'd say any of the COD games, not because I thought they were bad games, I'm just not in to FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

brady12 wrote: »

Really? Been one i've been hoping will come to PC. Why so average?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

All the highly rated RPG's!!!!
    Crafting and collecting can piss right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The first Uncharted game was crap, put me off the rest of the series, though I may go back to them.

Hated Fallout New Vegas too, it was dull, orange and brown with a slow, clunky combat system, couldn't get into it at all. Still have to try FO3.

I played the living crap out of FarCry 3 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Far Cry 4, just felt meh from start to finish, which surprised me because I loved 3.

I never made it over the bridge, so never saw the last region.

I did everything possible before that point, but the more i played the less new material was coming my way. By the end i felt like "Whats the point of going to the new region so i can do more of the exact same stuff i've been doing in the last few regions".

The big baddie (pagan) is nowhere to be seen for the majority of the game.

Awesome gameplay/graphics/etc. Terrible storyline.

CruelCoin wrote: »

Short Answer: It's not coming to PC anytime within the next 18 months at the very least, if not longer.

Long Answer: Day 1/Vanilla Destiny was pretty much what launch WoW was like. Fast forward a bit and it's a better game now and is poised to be a real cracker in a months time when TTK drops. It's a game that divides people and gets a lot of flak for it's day 1 stuff. Thing is most feedback/reviews and such are based off Launch. There's a whole thread on it that you can get more feedback on it that is always on the 1st page of this forum
    The first Uncharted game was crap, put me off the rest of the series, though I may go back to them.

I played them in reverse order and I'm glad I did, I was pretty forgiving of the 1st game as a result :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

Deus Ex Human Revolution. It was like a slightly better Invisible War - it just didn't understand what made the original so great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Also the halo series just couldn't find any enjoyment in them even though tons of people raved about them to me. Same with the borderlands games just didn't enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CruelCoin wrote: »

I actually really liked Destiny. The core gameplay is absolutely terrific, and the general style of the game is great.

The problem was the grind. The endless grind. So many different types of currency that require a huge amount of repetitive actions. Only being able to earn so much of one type of currency per week which just prolonged the grind. The game just stopped being fun for me.

For all intents and purposes, it sounds like a lot of those issues have been fixed, with new features/missions added etc. But with so much new stuff coming out with the end of the summer game drought, the new Destiny expansion (The Taken King) is simply not enough to get me back into the game. Would rather wait for a proper Destiny 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Came in to post this. Will admit it was partly down to me expecting another Halo. Played through the campaign despite it's nonsense story, repetitive missions and terrible voice acting in a few days and tossed it aside.

Picked it back up about a week ago and started playing multiplayer and while it adds a little to it I have never played a game before where it seems like my actions have so little impact on the outcome of the match. If I score 3000 points or 0, the match still follows the same pattern.

I love Destiny, agree with a lot of the criticism but I'm still playing.

Conversely, came to post that I've hated every Halo game. I've finished them all but I just didn't enjoy them, each time I thought 'Ah sure I'll give it one more try'. Nope.

Funnily enough I love many of the games people are repeating in here; MGS4, Uncharted, Dragon age, but FF7 is my favourite game of all time and I think it's aged pretty well. It's still interesting, engaging and fun (I'm working through it on my phone currently)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Most of Ubisoft's range...

Assassin's Creed series could be so, so much better..

WatchDogs has to be top of the list though - although I don't think anyone highly rated it ever once released.

Penn wrote: »
    I actually really liked Destiny. The core gameplay is absolutely terrific, and the general style of the game is great.

The problem was the grind. The endless grind. So many different types of currency that require a huge amount of repetitive actions. Only being able to earn so much of one type of currency per week which just prolonged the grind. The game just stopped being fun for me.

For all intents and purposes, it sounds like a lot of those issues have been fixed, with new features/missions added etc. But with so much new stuff coming out with the end of the summer game drought, the new Destiny expansion (The Taken King) is simply not enough to get me back into the game. Would rather wait for a proper Destiny 2.

Yeah +1... For a MMO the gameplay is solid, I was really surprised with how good it looked and played. It's a super production. But they just used it as a platform and didn't progress on that and now it's just a money spinner.

I actually just deleted it off my HDD without finishing it. Probably only got about 50% through it. Absolute bore fest. Repeated the same mission over and over.

FarCry 1 was a better game, even today.

Penn wrote: »

I didn't mind the grind so much as it was a grind to nothing vs other more sophisticated MMO games. Nothing to keep me on the 'hamster wheel' after a few months, main game and end game far to shallow for me so I bailed. I was back briefly for the 1st dlc and it was far too little , and I never evne downloaded the 2nd even though I'd paid for it.

I won't be back either, the core game itself was technically and playably brilliant imo , but I do not think it's a defence of a game to say they have been listening to player feedback and fixing it 1 year on Ok gameplay refinement is a great thing in that regard and happens in all online games and is expected but when I hear about them fixing the storytelling etc at this point with a €40 expansion, which should have been right on day one, I certainly wasn't happy. No you won't be getting another penny of my money or minute of my time Bungie/Activision.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Battlefield 4
    I loved this game, despite all the bugs, and I am still playing it.
    However, there is a small community who likes to play on with a specific style, mostly assault, that are in close contact with DICE, thus adopting the game to their needs.
    It is good to have a community that works to make a game better, but it is totally different to make the game as few people like it.
    Proof of my writings are the dropping % of people playing after the latest 2-3 patches, people who stopped playing, not getting BF-HL instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭adocholiday

+1 on Fallout 3, NV and also the Elder Scrolls series. I just find them so so repetitive. The games don't adapt to the character's development or recent events (e.g. kill a dragon in front of Skyrim guards and then they'll say they're watching you or some other such drivel). The tasks to do are all the same - go here, kill a bunch of super mutants, get this artifact, bring it back, here's some completely useless reward. The NPCs are annoying as hell, the combat systems are terrible... I'll never understand the hype around these games at all and I expect that Fallout 4 will be more of the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Shadow of Mordor.

I just found it very repetitive and grim. Opens up with your wife and son being murdered in front of you which is a nice cheery way to start a game. Then you wander around a desolate landscape hacking and slashing various bands of orcs.

It just wasn't for me and I gave up on it fairly quickly - perhaps it improved as it went on, but I don't get much time to play games and if I'm not enjoying a game I just don't want to be wasting my time on it.

Advertisement