Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highly rated games you have been dissapointed with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Shadow of Mordor.

I just found it very repetitive and grim.
    Opens up with your wife and son being murdered in front of you which is a nice cheery way to start a game.
    Then you wander around a desolate landscape hacking and slashing various bands of orcs.

It just wasn't for me and I gave up on it fairly quickly - perhaps it improved as it went on, but I don't get much time to play games and if I'm not enjoying a game I just don't want to be wasting my time on it.

^ I've played it, but FFS still could do with spoilers :pac:

Honestly, I don't get the hate for SoM. It was paced fantastically at about 12 or 15 hours. None of the fake 40-60 bull$hit you get in most modern AAA games. And as a result I enjoyed it more than Batman Arkham Knight or Far Cry 4 tbh

But yes, it definitely improved in the 2nd half of the game...... or the 2nd time you would have put it on for such a short game :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I didn't mind the grind so much as it was a grind to nothing vs other more sophisticated MMO games. Nothing to keep me on the 'hamster wheel' after a few months, main game and end game far to shallow for me so I bailed. I was back briefly for the 1st dlc and it was far too little , and I never evne downloaded the 2nd even though I'd paid for it.

I won't be back either, the core game itself was technically and playably brilliant imo , but I do not think it's a defence of a game to say they have been listening to player feedback and fixing it 1 year on Ok gameplay refinement is a great thing in that regard and happens in all online games and is expected but when I hear about them fixing the storytelling etc at this point with a €40 expansion, which should have been right on day one, I certainly wasn't happy. No you won't be getting another penny of my money or minute of my time Bungie/Activision.

I still play it a lot and have already pre-purchased the next expansion, but I agree every expansion has felt like they are building up to a full game rather than adding to one. The fact that a year on they're rejigging the whole base game with new voice actors and everything feels like I've been playing an early access game that's only starting to feel like a complete game. As much as I enjoy some parts of the game I feel like it's keeping me coming back through addiction rather than actual merit for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ant695 wrote: »
    Also the halo series just couldn't find any enjoyment in them even though tons of people raved about them to me. Same with the borderlands games just didn't enjoy them.

I actually didnt enjoy the first 3 halo games on my first playthough, but I got the Master Chief Collection through game sharing and was pleasantly surprised, so much so that I did a full playthough of the original trilogy, ODST, and Reach in the space of about 6 weeks. I'm saving Halo 4 until a fortnight before 5 drops . They're great games alright, I might just have been too young to appreciate them on the first go round.

I have to agree in part about Last of Us.. Sure, it was a great story, but when you boil down to the game itself, it was really just a run-gun-'n'-hide game.

GTA IV - it took itself far too seriously, was way too dark (as in lighting wise, I spent far too much time running into walls) and just wasn't comparable to San Andreas for me.

GTA V - sure, it was fun, but the ending was such a let down and the story just didn't compare to the previous incarnations. It is damn better than IV though, there's no denying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Shadow of Mordor suprised me it was that good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I actually didnt enjoy the first 3 halo games on my first playthough, but I got the Master Chief Collection through game sharing and was pleasantly surprised, so much so that I did a full playthough of the original trilogy, ODST, and Reach in the space of about 6 weeks. I'm saving Halo 4 until a fortnight before 5 drops . They're great games alright, I might just have been too young to appreciate them on the first go round.

I've actually played them at different times. Played halo 2 way back years ago. Played halo 3 pretty much on release and again about a year ago and played reach about 6 months ago and at no point did I enjoy them at all. Felt like I should because so many people think they are the best thing ever but just couldn't find anything I liked in them.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ant695 wrote: »
    I've actually played them at different times. Played halo 2 way back years ago. Played halo 3 pretty much on release and again about a year ago and played reach about 6 months ago and at no point did I enjoy them at all. Felt like I should because so many people think they are the best thing ever but just couldn't find anything I liked in them.

The multi-player is always what most people loved about them I thought. I enjoy the campaigns but they're nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Far Cry 3 did nothing for me. Very repetitive, go here, kill everybody. Then go there and kill everybody.

I enjoyed the Last of Us, but the end product was a far cry from the demos they showed in terms of gameplay and AI abilities. I look forward to the day when developers don't have to handicap their games to port them to the consoles. I have little hope for the Division because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Right...

Skyrim, limp combat, boring scenery, shoddy story.
    Dishonoured, be a stealth assassin who leaps from shadow to shadow like a ghost, also here is a nail grenade and a load of ways to kill everyone you meet.
    Bioshock: Infinite, Isn't this scenery nice? Will you still think that after your 400th gunfight? Grab a parachute and jump FFS.
    Tomb Raider, Oh Laura just took a life for the first time, what an emotional experience that would leave most people numb for weeks on end, that nice now kill more guys to get the upgrade to kill the guys to get the upgrade to kill the guys to get the upgrade.
    Elite: Dangerous, we've 1-1 mapped the entire galaxy, now if you want something to do in there pay €40 for the new expansion.
    Fez, a novel game mechanic with a novel aesthetic and not much else.
    Batman: Arkham City, If you liked the tight world navigation of AA, then prepare for an open world experience that gets tedious after 15 mins! Also, can you say padding?! The Riddler has been seriously busy, collect all those too.
    BattleField 3, huge open worlds, except people only want to play Metro, tons of vehicles, except you have to unlock 3/4 things before you can avoid getting blown up instantly. Tight gunplay, except we goin' fix that with a few patches. Also check out our money-grab level and weapon packs, because who needs simplicity and balance when you have 4 versions of the M16. Also be sure to pre-order BF4 so we can divide the community in half next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

All Zelda games.

All pokemon games.

All Metal Gear games.

Half Life 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

All Zelda games.

All pokemon games.

All Metal Gear games.

Half Life 3

4882178+_184a3ba9240cf04141d665b5f5b3f6cc.jpg

3 years waiting to make that post.... I admire your forward planning and patience :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cormac... wrote: »
    3 years waiting to make that post.... I admire your forward planning and patience :pac:

He saw his chance and he took it.

This would be banworthy if Retr0 had his way but I really never seen the fascination with Metroid, I really did not enjoy it. That being said, I was younger when I played it, like 14/15 and I recall it being ugly and boring

To be fair, having grown up as a Nintendo Owner/Player my 1st experience was the Gamecube one Metroid Prime, which, while visually stunning was confusing to navigate / memorise and frustrating to platform in and underwhelming to shoot in. Strip away the scenery and I remember finding that game mechanically lacking. Though I imagine the SNES ones etc broke ground at the time. But like picking up GTA 4 and not seeing the fuss with the series

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He saw his chance and he took it.

This would be banworthy if Retr0 had his way but I really never seen the fascination with Metroid, I really did not enjoy it. That being said, I was younger when I played it, like 14/15 and I recall it being ugly and boring

Which metroid are you talking about though? Prime is a terrific game but I can see the issue some people would have if they dont like first person games. Thats an understandable critique.

But Super Metroid , the third one that was on the SNES, was one of the finest games of its era and certainly wasnt ugly. It still holds up well today and is a benchmark for modern "metroidvania" style games to live up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Kirby wrote: »
    Which metroid are you talking about though? Prime is a terrific game but I can see the issue some people would have if they dont like first person games. Thats an understandable critique.

But Super Metroid , the third one that was on the SNES, was one of the finest games of its era and certainly wasnt ugly. It still holds up well today and is a benchmark for modern "metroidvania" style games to live up to.

I can't fully remember but I'd say it was Super Metroid. I'm still only a pup now mind, I wasn't used to playing such old style games, the vanity of a teenager to dismiss something because it was ugly. I grew up on a PS2, so it was ugly for what I was used to, googling it there and I don't see any issue with the visuals now

Might fire up Snesoid and see how I find it now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The multi-player is always what most people loved about them I thought. I enjoy the campaigns but they're nothing special.

3 is the pinnacle of online multiplayer FPS for me.

Played the campaigns in the order 3, ODST, Reach, CE, 4 and enjoyed most of them but if I had started with CE I would have given up on the series, too many parts were just a chore. Was glad to see the back of it when I finished it but, am now playing through it on the MCC in the build up to 5 :( ...that section on truth and reconciliation where you are lifted up into the ship's loading bay :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Corvo

Skyrim
    Terrible combat, terrible NPC's. Beautiful landscape, ruined by the fact that nearly every single mission ends up in cave

Left 4 Dead
    Dont even know where to start, just horrendous

Tomb Raider
    Combat was lazy and hastily put together, puzzles were not difficult and the AI was shocking. Dumped it after a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Dishonored...sorry Corvo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Corvo wrote: »
    Tomb Raider
    Combat was lazy and hastily put together, puzzles were difficult and the AI was shocking. Dumped it after a few hours

Same. Quick time events out of the blue? Feck off.

Had some gorgeous scenery though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

+1 on Fallout 3, NV and also the Elder Scrolls series. I just find them so so repetitive. The games don't adapt to the character's development or recent events (e.g. kill a dragon in front of Skyrim guards and then they'll say they're watching you or some other such drivel).

I'd agree on FO3 (haven't played Skyrim), but New Vegas is nothing like that at all. There's actual choices you have to make, and a lot of them will close entire factions off to you. How many games allow to you to do a proper "evil" playthrough?

The tasks to do are all the same - go here, kill a bunch of super mutants, get this artifact, bring it back, here's some completely useless reward. The NPCs are annoying as hell, the combat systems are terrible... I'll never understand the hype around these games at all and I expect that Fallout 4 will be more of the same
    Surely that's just a criticism of open world games as a whole. GTA - drive here, shoot these, drive back. Far Cry - the same. Red Dead Redemption - same, but with horses. They're still great games, repetition is pretty inevitable in the genre. I did find Fallout better for mission variety myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Corvo wrote: »
    Skyrim
    Terrible combat, terrible NPC's. Beautiful landscape, ruined by the fact that nearly every single mission ends up in cave

Left 4 Dead
    Dont even know where to start, just horrendous

Tomb Raider
    Combat was lazy and hastily put together, puzzles were difficult and the AI was shocking. Dumped it after a few hours

Never played Skyrim but I'm currently enjoying TR a lot more than I expected to, it's scratching the Uncharted itch given I went Xbox first this gen.

L4D was unbeliveable craic with mates but playing yourself or with randoms could be tiresome I'll admit.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    3 is the pinnacle of online multiplayer FPS for me.

Played the campaigns in the order 3, ODST, Reach, CE, 4 and enjoyed most of them but if I had started with CE I would have given up on the series, too many parts were just a chore. Was glad to see the back of it when I finished it but, am now playing through it on the MCC in the build up to 5 :( ...that section on truth and reconciliation where you are lifted up into the ship's loading bay :mad:.

I wanted to play through all of them again on Legendary, but when I got to that part I said feck this. I think I ended up doing it split screen so I would respawn in the one spot rather than have to go back to the checkpoint. People say the likes of Dark Souls are hard games, they're a complete cake walk compared to Halo CE on Legendary.

• Kirby wrote: »

Agree; Super Metroid is one of the best games ever made IMO

Metroid Prime Series I did not like one bit, not because of the FPS aspect but just was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

Minecraft
    I. Do. Not. Get. It. At. All. It bores me and it makes my eyes want to implode.

Black & White
    Just too easy, too repitative and the 'fund my sheep' shoite just fecking boring. This was heavily praised in the mags I bought at the time and was a gigantic let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Aimead wrote: »
    Minecraft
    I. Do. Not. Get. It. At. All. It bores me and it makes my eyes want to implode.

Get out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Another for me would be x-rebirth.

That game is the sole reason why i do not read previews anymore. You can't trust them.

That game was widely lauded as being the literal best thing evar by everyone in the gaming industry. Then it launched and it was horrendous.

They knew, they ****ing knew how bad it was from their hand-on sessions, but they kept quiet.

A refund was offered and i jumped at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

L.A. Noire
    What was it exactly?
    Maybe it's because I'm grown up but I can't stomach the gta games anymore sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Cormac... wrote: »
    Far Cry 4 makes Far Cry 3 look like a compact and tight story/adventure

10000% :D

FC4 was overloaded with pointless collectables and even the setting wasn't as interesting to me. i still finished the game but it was a struggle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I bought Perfect Dark Zero at launch with the 360 release after reading all the rave reviews. It has to be one of the worst fps games I have ever played. I never trusted review scores since, it was getting 90% all round just because it was Perfect Dark but the old Rare team had long since gone.

Thankfully I had the excellent PGR3 to keep me going until more games were released.

Advertisement