Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highly rated games you have been dissapointed with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Another for me would be x-rebirth.

That game is the sole reason why i do not read previews anymore. You can't trust them.

That game was widely lauded as being the literal best thing evar by everyone in the gaming industry. Then it launched and it was horrendous.

They knew, they ****ing knew how bad it was from their hand-on sessions, but they kept quiet.

A refund was offered and i jumped at it.

That was the same thing that happened me with Blacksite Area 51. Looked a cracking game from when I first saw previews of it but such a letdown when I actually got to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I bought Perfect Dark Zero at launch with the 360 release after reading all the rave reviews. It has to be one of the worst fps games I have ever played. I never trusted review scores since, it was getting 90% all round just because it was Perfect Dark but the old Rare team had long since gone.

Thankfully I had the excellent PGR3 to keep me going until more games were released.

Ah launch day hysteria reviews. You were just reading the crappy sites with fanboys instead of journalists because it got panned in every review I read. Same happened with Resistance at the PS3 launch. It was the only sort of decent game to play on the PS3 at launch which lead to 90%+ reviews from the crappy sites and magazines while it got panned as being the mediocre game it was in the more trustworthy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Luke92 wrote: »
    Have a mate that thinks I'm delusional because of this.

The last of us. Just couldn't get into it whatsoever. Didn't enjoy playing it one bit.

And I love most apocalyptic type games and zombie games. Just didn't get into it!

Your mate is correct :eek: haha. TLOU is one of my favourite games i finished it 3 times including the remastered ps4 version. I'm VERY excited to see what naughty dog can do with Uncharted 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I bought Perfect Dark Zero at launch with the 360 release after reading all the rave reviews. It has to be one of the worst fps games I have ever played. I never trusted review scores since, it was getting 90% all round just because it was Perfect Dark but the old Rare team had long since gone.

Thankfully I had the excellent PGR3 to keep me going until more games were released.

I bought PDZ and COD2 when I got my 360. COD2 was absolutely stellar and a fantastic showcase of what the console could do. Perfect Dark however, was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Find it hard to understand how the reviews were almost universally very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

The last of us being ported over to pc ever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Metal gear series - have played MGS2 (XBox version), MGS Twin Snakes (gamecube) and MGS4 (PS3). Never warmed to any of them. The series may have come before Splinter Cell but I find splinter cell to be superior in every way.

Dragon Quest VIII - never had a PS2 so got to play this on my PS3. Despite looking great I found the gameplay mechanics archaic and slightly unforgiving.

Metroid Prime - I think I was expecting something else when I bought it and it just didn't tick the box for me.

Far Cry 3 - so hyped yet felt it was Far Cry 2 in a different setting.

Vyse wrote: »
    Metal gear series - have played MGS2 (XBox version), MGS Twin Snakes (gamecube) and MGS4 (PS3). Never warmed to any of them. The series may have come before Splinter Cell but I find splinter cell to be superior in every way.

Dragon Quest VIII - never had a PS2 so got to play this on my PS3. Despite looking great I found the gameplay mechanics archaic and slightly unforgiving.

Metroid Prime - I think I was expecting something else when I bought it and it just didn't tick the box for me.

Far Cry 3 - so hyped yet felt it was Far Cry 2 in a different setting.

Metal gear solid 2 on xbox was horrible the controls didn't work well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ant695 wrote: »
    Metal gear solid 2 on xbox was horrible the controls didn't work well at all.

And the Twin Snakes version of MGS 1 had bad voice acting and some lines were changed slightly.

Just hapend to play the poor version of good games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The last of us being ported over to pc ever?

Sony+Naughty Dog= Never on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Vyse wrote: »
    The series may have come before Splinter Cell but I find splinter cell to be superior in every way.

Ah here, after the first Splinter Cell they were all the same, generic storyline with too much sneaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

And the Twin Snakes version of MGS 1 had bad voice acting and some lines were changed slightly.

Not just that, but entire conversation flow was changed for some and makes no sense. (Speaking to Otacon for the first time, for example). Cutscenes were actioned up (When Guard interrupts talking to DARPA chief, Meryl outside the DARPA Chief Cell, Ninja appearance after Ocelot battle, post-Grey Fox fist-fight)
    Making them completely over the top and unrealistic and stupid.
    Grey Fox's voice was changed completely and is, IMO worse now.
    Boss battles are different now too, I'm stuck on Psycho-Mantis because I can't hit him and he doesn't go invisible anymore which gave you an opening to strike.

Overall it's a very poor rendition of the original gameplay wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Ah here, after the first Splinter Cell they were all the same, generic storyline with too much sneaking.

There are many elements they introduced after the 1st game including the highly impressive onlineplay. Spies vs Mercs was/ is great as is the Co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Sony+Naughty Dog= Never on PC.

H1z1?

Sorry, Sony and daybreak

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

H1z1?

Sorry, Sony and daybreak
    SoE games are the exception what with Everquest, Planetside etc..

The likes of TLOU, Uncharted, God of War et al won't come to other platforms because they're marquee titles for the Playstation brand. Built specifically for the consoles to sell the consoles.

Aye, it'd be like Halo or Gears coming to Playstation. Not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The first Uncharted game was crap, put me off the rest of the series, though I may go back to them.

Hated Fallout New Vegas too, it was dull, orange and brown with a slow, clunky combat system, couldn't get into it at all. Still have to try FO3.

I played the living crap out of FarCry 3 :o

If you thought Fallout New Vegas was dull do not try Fallout 3, totally dark you spend most of your time in the underground.

But saying that I loved both games and cannot wait for F4.

Ant695 wrote: »
    Also the halo series just couldn't find any enjoyment in them even though tons of people raved about them to me. Same with the borderlands games just didn't enjoy them.

What you are disrespecting two of my favourite series of games.

Wizard! wrote: »
    Battlefield 4
    I loved this game, despite all the bugs, and I am still playing it.
    However, there is a small community who likes to play on with a specific style, mostly assault, that are in close contact with DICE, thus adopting the game to their needs.
    It is good to have a community that works to make a game better, but it is totally different to make the game as few people like it.
    Proof of my writings are the dropping % of people playing after the latest 2-3 patches, people who stopped playing, not getting BF-HL instead.

One thing I do not like about that game online is getting shot behind cover. What the hell is that about.

I actually liked that game mind you it was years ago when I played it about 10 years ago if I remember correctly. It came out when the 360 was released which I think was 2005.

I bought PDZ and COD2 when I got my 360. COD2 was absolutely stellar and a fantastic showcase of what the console could do. Perfect Dark however, was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever experienced. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Find it hard to understand how the reviews were almost universally very positive.

COD2 was brilliant. I remember the tutorial, "Grab a grenade off the table, but sir this is a potato, a grenade is worth more than you." I still remember it and being blown away at the graphics, looks dated now mind you fired it up recently.

edit: Anyone looking at this thread is like what the hell is this guy doing posting one after the other, just was reading through the thread and kept replying is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

edit: Anyone looking at this thread is like what the hell is this guy doing posting one after the other, just was reading through the thread and kept replying is all.

There's a multi-quote button if you want to reply to a few posts at once :)

There's a multi-quote button if you want to reply to a few posts at once :)

Next time, got my post count up a bit as well, so all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The Last of Us/ Unchartered all of them
    Its control scheme is crap, there is a way to make 3rd person shooters good. Naughty Dog do not know that way. RDR nails the 3rd person shooting game perfectly.

Halo all of them
    Its a by the numbers FPS for a console that really needed an FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Far Cry 4, just felt meh from start to finish, which surprised me because I loved 3.

I felt the same about FC4 too. The biggest thing for me was the characters were completely forgettable unlike it's predecessor which has memorable characters.

What you are disrespecting two of my favourite series of games.

No disrespect just didn't do anything for me. I get that loads of people enjoy them or they wouldn't be so big but just not for me.

TBH, if you get riled up enough to complain about some random person on the internet 'disrespecting' games you like, you should probably re-evaluate some stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I liked Far Cry 4 up to a point but I think it outstayed it's welcome a bit. I had already played Far Cry 3 to death and 4 was much of the same.

For the inevitable Far Cry 5 they will need to go back to the drawing board and give people a vastly different experience or the series will go very stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

TBH, if you get riled up enough to complain about some random person on the internet 'disrespecting' games you like, you should probably re-evaluate some stuff.

I got the feeling he was joking :)

Halo for me. So many love it. I just can not get into it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Halo for me. So many love it. I just can not get into it at all

****ing Halo, loved it way back when. Every game since the first was **** or at most ****ish, but they never added anything to it, just gimmics. Gears of war was like that, first game was enjoyable, then 2 and 3 just couldnt do anything new, just adding gimmics which didnt really change anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any Metal Gear game - the second one was OK but that's as far as it got for me. The awkward controls and gameplay never clicked with me and the less said about the daft stories and hour long cutscenes the better.

Advertisement