Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highly rated games you have been dissapointed with

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Any Metal Gear game - the second one was OK but that's as far as it got for me. The awkward controls and gameplay never clicked with me and the less said about the daft stories and hour long cutscenes the better.

metal gear solid snake or metal gear solid 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Solid 2. It was actually the Twin Snakes Gamecube version that I liked, which doesn't really seem to be held in high regard ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Completed The last of Us recently. I thought it was good, but nowhere near the "game of the forever" that its been built up to. Thought it was a fairly linear affair with excellent production values and some really old school design elements. Eg Couple of small grips: having to hold a button for the camera to focus on an event. I remember listening to Valve's walkthrough on HL2 and the techniques they used to manipulate the players focus. Those sections involving ladders etc. and getting across rooms; were these supposed to be puzzle sections or not? Again, I found myself how much better HL2 did these. And I'm not HL2 biggest fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I thought the Tomb Raider reboot was appalling and a massive disservice to the games gone before it.
    The best part of the franchise was how immersive it was - start the level, play until you clear it, enjoy a brief cutscene every few levels.
    The reboot seemed to put in everything I hate about modern computer games - basically removing any immersiveness from the game with constant cut scenes and QTE's. I stopped playing fairly early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Rome total war 2
    Day z
    Any of the killzone games
    Destiny
    Dead Island
    Empire total war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Any of the killzone games

Oh man, there is a repressed memory.
    Killzone2, awful cover system, the bad guys couldn't be anymore of a caricature of bad guys, look how bad they are.
    I paid a tenner and felt ripped off.

GTA IV, brown brown brown bowling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The killzone games are really mediocre dull affairs. The first game was rightly panned but the second one got good reviews on graphics alone (althouhg I hear MP was good, I've not much experience of it). At least by the time the third came around reviews weren't so easily fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The main one that comes to mind is Shadow of Mordor for me. Found the game to be extremely repetitve, a lot of button mashing and the highly rated nemesis system wasn't really all that interesting.

The other I can think of right now is Muramasa Rebirth, I've tried it for an hour or so and didn't really care much for it. I still have it on the vita though and plan to get back to it.

Oh Smash Bros.. I just don't get it. Maybe I need to play it more with other people but the few times I've played, it just seems like nonsense.

Edit: After thinking a bit more I can think of games I enjoyed but were massively overrated.

Red Dead Redemption The settings, environments, music, story were all really good. Only problem was the really boring gameplay. That game really drags a lot.

Skyrim In fairness I went back and relatively enjoyed this but it took me some time to. I would keep putting off for a few months at a time just because everything felt very similar. It didn't feel like I was exploring somewhere new, just felt like I was exploring the same tomb etc.

Assassins Creed: Black Flag: I'd already said I'd given up on this series. I've played Brotherhood, 2 & 3 and follows ranking in terms of enjoyment. There was a sale on 4 so I said I'd check it out since it was back with rave reviews but my god, it was just the same old ****e.

Just Cause 2 It's good for about 10 mins or so, messing around, blowing stuff up. But that's about it. Couldn't really get into it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The 2nd Killzone was a good game in my opinon. Not earth shatteringly good but still a pretty decent corridor shooter that was graphically impressive at the time.

Glad to see no one has rated the Street Fighter series as overated. Retr0 have the ban hammer on stand by just in case. Slagging the Street Fighter 3 series is fine though...it lacked Pyscho Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Skyrim- so bloody boring after a few hours.
    GTA 5- Played about 20 mins...snoozefest
    Far Cry 2/3/4- Christ above..do this do that do this again do that again. Far Cry1 is 10 times the game of the rest of them combined.
    The last few Call of Duties are just mind numbingly boring.

I think I'm really beginning to hate these open games...life is crap enough with go to work, come home, feed the kids, go to bed, go to work and so on without having to do similar **** in games.
    Fallout 3 I actually loved..great story behind it that kept me interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Was seriously hyped for Mafia 2 back in 2010, and for what I could actually play, it was quite good. Decent combat, great music and atmosphere, fairly good graphics for it's time and a fantastic story with some memorable characters. Only problem was that it felt criminally short. About 15 missions or so which could each take about an hour or less to do. On top of that was this incredibly detailed open world that the developers clearly put a lot of effort into, yet there was sweet fúck all to do in it. Most of the time you're left with tedious driving all over the city between cut-scenes, leaving the game world feel quite empty. Remember the game being delayed a few times and I got the impression that it was simply unfinished with some development problems. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Angron wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 7. I didn't play it when it first came out, only got it about a year ago, and at no point did I understand what the hype was all about. Felt like my friends oversold it in the hardest way, it was a good game but nowhere near the earth shattering masterpiece I was lead to believe it was.

Back in its day before the advent of technology we have now for allot of people it was their first big game like that and is probably why it's loved so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dragon Age Inquisition - While the main quest was ok but nothing special, the side quests were mind-numbingly boring. If the dev team were going to rip off MMO style quests they could of at least picked decent ones.

Bioshock - not bad games but very over-rated.

Halo - talk about a generic in every way FPS.

Star Citizen - Kick starting a game you like is one thing, but the amount of people who continue to pay crazy amounts of money for ships in a games that's not out yet is just mental.

Venom wrote: »
    Dragon Age Inquisition - While the main quest was ok but nothing special, the side quests were mind-numbingly boring. If the dev team were going to rip off MMO style quests they could of at least picked decent ones.

Yeah I'd agree. When you compare it to the Witcher 3, which not only had a fantastic main story but managed to make it's side quests interesting, varied and with character behind them, it's quite astounding how much of the side quests/character quests in DA:I just feel like needless busy work, something which many fantasy RPG's suffer from. Also didn't like a lot of the characters that form your company either, so many bloody annoying characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Potsy84

Far Cry 4 is a retread of Far Cry 3. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

Recently my dad bought a new pc, it has an i7-4770s processor, 16gb ram and an nvidia 740m gpu. The only game i have tried is minecraft but it barely runs above 20fps on the lowest settings possible can anybody give me any idea as to what may be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Recently my dad bought a new pc, it has an i7-4770s processor, 16gb ram and an nvidia 740m gpu. The only game i have tried is minecraft but it barely runs above 20fps on the lowest settings possible can anybody give me any idea as to what may be wrong?

Has he installed Nvidia drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Any Metal Gear game - the second one was OK but that's as far as it got for me. The awkward controls and gameplay never clicked with me and the less said about the daft stories and hour long cutscenes the better.

:eek::eek::eek:

The MGS series is one of my favourite games to date. I actually thought the second one was the worst by a country mile, wasn't the same without Snake. Nothing will ever beat the 1st of the series on the PS1, and I actually thought its story was ahead of its time. Honestly took a good 2 weeks for me to get over how Psycho Mantis was making the controllers vibrate, bare in mind I was 7 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That GPU is not a very good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

DayZ
    Uncharted 3
    Far Cry 4
    Halo series
    GTA 4
    All COD's after COD 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Red dead redemption: really tried to force myself to enjoy it buy couldn't. Outdated shooting and far too long travelling than actually doing anything. The 'challenges' like hunting and collecting flowers and stuff were mind numbing.
    The story is more than critically acclaimed but I just couldn't care. It was GTA in a western setting I guess.

I always feel bored and dissapointed by games like Red Dead, Saints Row, GTA, Assassins creed etc. The whole follow the yellow dot, kill the red dots/collect green dot, return back to other side of gigantic map, play poor simulations of poker/golf/motorsport.... Repeat until bored Urrghh.

The last GTA I finished was Vice City. Every other title has me bored by 3/4 through.

Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah it's a low entry graphics card for laptops, scroll down further on this page to see what you should be getting in game

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-740M.89900.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Impossible Mission 2 on the C64.

96% in Zzap64.

Gold medal me arse !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It's a MacBook Pro, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Considering my MBP from 2009 (with 2.8GHz C2D, 8GB Ram and a 512MB 9600m GPU) can run many older games at high settings, including Minecraft, there's definitely something up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,646 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Killzone games are all about MP really, even then you need to be willing to put time in as the learning curve is greater than Cod/BF etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

ebbsy wrote: »
    Impossible Mission 2 on the C64.

96% in Zzap64.

Gold medal me arse !!!!!!!

Man let it go , just let it go......

Another one I'd mention is Saints Row 3. SR1 was something of a rough diamond that had some quirky moments and crude humour but had great customization and a cool open world with enjoyable stuff to do in it. It took it's story a bit too serious at times but I liked a lot of the characters. It certainly helped the long wait for GTA IV when it came out.

SR2 was just a fantastic game. Almost exact same setting with some improvements but there was just so much to do in it, and it still had that mad-cap and arcadey gameplay that had such a great simplicity to it. The story was actually quite good and I like the way you could choose a variety of missions to do at the same time, each focusing on a different gang. Each of the gang leaders had some real weight behind them as well. The customization expanded greatly from your own character, vehicles and your gang. The amount of times I dressed myself and the Saints as ninjas with samurai swords with the ped war and super explosions cheats on was too damn high!

Then SR3 comes out and it just feels like a different game. I really didn't like the new city, every street felt the same, the gangs were just goofy, no character to them, the main characters literally turned into caricatures of themselves and they needlessly killed off Johnny Gat at the start, the game's best character. The combat was very Gears of Warish (something far too many games now suffer from), while the customization, the series' best feature, feels stripped and restricted. Then that abomination of SR4 comes out and I'm offcially done with the series.

I understand they wanted to differentiate the series from GTA by making it less serious with fun gameplay, but SR2 still had you grounded as a street gang fighting turf wars, albeit in a goofy way, not fighting fúcking aliens as the President.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I won't say disappointed but games that, in my opinion aren't as great as everyone makes them out to be are the Uncharted games. I liked them but personally I think Tomb Raider and Enslaved are better and aren't just a series of set pieces, cutscenes and shooting galleries. Or maybe I'm still bitter about that desert in Uncharted 3. :)

• Advertisement

Arytonblue wrote: »
    Another one I'd mention is Saints Row 3. SR1 was something of a rough diamond that had some quirky moments and crude humour but had great customization and a cool open world with enjoyable stuff to do in it. It took it's story a bit too serious at times but I liked a lot of the characters. It certainly helped the long wait for GTA IV when it came out.

SR2 was just a fantastic game. Almost exact same setting with some improvements but there was just so much to do in it, and it still had that mad-cap and arcadey gameplay that had such a great simplicity to it. The story was actually quite good and I like the way you could choose a variety of missions to do at the same time, each focusing on a different gang. Each of the gang leaders had some real weight behind them as well. The customization expanded greatly from your own character, vehicles and your gang. The amount of times I dressed myself and the Saints as ninjas with samurai swords with the ped war and super explosions cheats on was too damn high!

Then SR3 comes out and it just feels like a different game. I really didn't like the new city, every street felt the same, the gangs were just goofy, no character to them, the main characters literally turned into caricatures of themselves and they needlessly killed off Johnny Gat at the start, the game's best character. The combat was very Gears of Warish (something far too many games now suffer from), while the customization, the series' best feature, feels stripped and restricted. Then that abomination of SR4 comes out and I'm offcially done with the series.

I understand they wanted to differentiate the series from GTA by making it less serious with fun gameplay, but SR2 still had you grounded as a street gang fighting turf wars, albeit in a goofy way, not fighting fúcking aliens as the President.

Agree with this.

I loved SR 2 and then SR 3 was a massive dissapointment.

Map felt a lot smaller and the soundtrack in 2 aswell was alot better imo.

Advertisement