Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highly rated games you have been dissapointed with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I loved SR 2 and then SR 3 was a massive dissapointment.1/QUOTE]

If anything I thought SR4 was the disappointment. The same map, with aliens and extra powers. Minimal effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I thought SR2 wasn't great, you had to grind every time you wanted to do a mission, hated the system. Good game aside from that, but it ruined it for me.

Three was decent, I quite enjoyed 4, its was such a pan of stupid crap, and very entertaining to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

I loved SR 2 and then SR 3 was a massive dissapointment.1/QUOTE]

If anything I thought SR4 was the disappointment. The same map, with aliens and extra powers. Minimal effort.

Wasn't SR 4 originally supposed to be an expansion of 3? Certainly plays like that, why call it an expansion when you can just slap on an official title and charge full retail price. Volition have really gone down in my opinion recently, they made a great game in Red Faction: Guerrilla with an open world with destructible environments then released Armageddon, which just such an average linear 3rd person shooter. Now they just seem to be milking the Saints Row title a la Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

QUOTE]
    If anything I thought SR4 was the disappointment. The same map, with aliens and extra powers. Minimal effort.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't SR 4 originally supposed to be an expansion of 3? Certainly plays like that, why call it an expansion when you can just slap on an official title and charge full retail price. Volition have really gone down in my opinion recently, they made a great game in Red Faction: Guerrilla with an open world with destructible environments then released Armageddon, which just such an average linear 3rd person shooter. Now they just seem to be milking the Saints Row title a la Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah Saints Row 4 was pretty bad, not sure it's highly rated though.
    I used to enjoy doing up my cars and having a big garage full of cool cars...not to mention driving along to some cool songs.
    4 completely got rid of that by having your character be much better and faster than a car to get around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah Saints Row 4 was pretty bad, not sure it's highly rated though.
    I used to enjoy doing up my cars and having a big garage full of cool cars...not to mention driving along to some cool songs.
    4 completely got rid of that by having your character be much better and faster than a car to get around the place.

Yeah I hated missions where you had to drive a vehicle. Just wanted to run/jump/glide everywhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Enslaved is one I was very disappointed with. Not exactly highly rated by the press, it got fair to middling reviews around 7-8 but lots of people think it's amazing. I just found the combat atrocious, the platforming was the same auto jumping from the uncharted games but somehow even less interesting and the much talked about story wasn't great and had one of the stupidest endings ever. I think the press reviews were pretty much spot on, it's ok and nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

For me it's the Dark Souls games. And it absolutely infuriates me because everyone goes on about how awesome they are, and I know exactly why they feel that way and what's good about them. But I could just never get into them, despite desperately wanting to. And I know that I'm most likely going to buy the new one when it comes out, again hoping that maybe this time I'll enjoy it, and again I'll just not be able to get into it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Or maybe I'm still bitter about that desert in Uncharted 3. :)

What was wrong with the desert?

It was 1 chapter in a 22 chapter game that was designed to convey a feeling and help the story along.

It was 4% of the game and lasted about 10 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually wish they'd been a bit braver with the desert section and expanded on it. Kind of like when Illusion of Time had you adrift on a makeshift life raft and you just had to wait it out.

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention, my favourite part of SR 2 (I know it was in 3 as well) was the online co op. You could do every mission with a friend and mess around on the map if you didnt want to do missions.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Homefront. I know it's not critically acclaimed but it's fairly well known.

I'm playing through it now just to put it into my completed collection.

The single player is extremely linear and quite boring, having to continuously wait for npc's is a drag and seems to happen for the whole 5 hour campaign.

The multilayer is supposed to be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cormac... wrote: »
    What was wrong with the desert?

It was 1 chapter in a 22 chapter game that was designed to convey a feeling and help the story along.

It was 4% of the game and lasted about 10 minutes.

Not the wandering the desert part. The part where you meet the bad guys again and you can barely see them. Yet they all see you with snipers and grenade launchers. If I had kept trying to get through it the proper way I'd probably have just turned it off and not gone back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

humanji wrote: »
    For me it's the Dark Souls games. And it absolutely infuriates me because everyone goes on about how awesome they are, and I know exactly why they feel that way and what's good about them. But I could just never get into them, despite desperately wanting to. And I know that I'm most likely going to buy the new one when it comes out, again hoping that maybe this time I'll enjoy it, and again I'll just not be able to get into it. :(

Try Bloodborne if you have a ps4. Its faster than Dark Souls and its a good intro into those types of games. You'll enjoy the Souls games more after Bloodborne

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh man I forgot to mention Dead Space. Have we talked about Dead Space yet? I played it on PC and lasted twenty minutes because the interface was so horrible.

Dead Space on PC is a disaster of a port. The mouse control gets worse as your PC performance increases and it has never been patched. Wouldn't say Dead Space disappointed me, I was expecting a servicable horror game and it's what I got but the people that think it's a Resident Evil beater (well maybe Resi 5 and 6 beater is more than acceptable) are clearly insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dead Space on PC is a disaster of a port. The mouse control gets worse as your PC performance increases and it has never been patched. Wouldn't say Dead Space disappointed me, I was expecting a servicable horror game and it's what I got but the people that think it's a Resident Evil beater (well maybe Resi 5 and 6 beater is more than acceptable) are clearly insane.

I enjoyed the first one, ti was the second one that made me write off the rest of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I enjoyed the first one, ti was the second one that made me write off the rest of the series.

I played Dead Space 2 first and it's the one I enjoyed the most. I actually like the whole series - I think I'd read so much negative reaction to 3 that my expectations were pretty low but it's a decent shooter - I think the Severed DLC for DS2 gave a good sense of where they were planning to got with 3. The gun customization system is a bit of a pain in the hoop for 3 but the game cracks a long at a decent pace. I think it's kind of like Aliens to Alien amping up the action instead of the horror.. The DLC Awakened for DS 3 was very good though with a much better sense of dread throughout it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dishonoured looks nice but playing it reminded me of a HL2 mod or something.
    Never went back to it.
    Batman AC just felt like the superb original smeared out over a larger location with more fetch missions to pad it further.
    The combat in the entire Batman Arkham franchise feels a little disconnected, like you are just thumbing a handful of buttons and watching Bats doing something cool, not dissimilar to QTE type inputs, now I warmed up to it but that feeling of not being in control never left.

Anything with random battles just grinds my gears, so I tried everything including FFVII and it just drove me mad.
    That said, I have enjoyed the bit of Chronotrigger I have played, but that's not random battling.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

dragon age inquisition - could not get into it at all. Put like 20 ours into it, really didn't like it

• Advertisement

Actually there's one: Resident Evil 4. Didn't live up to the hype for me. I can't even really describe why not, but it just didn't hold my interest at all. Just found it to be fairly boring and dull.

Penn wrote: »
    Actually there's one: Resident Evil 4. Didn't live up to the hype for me. I can't even really describe why not, but it just didn't hold my interest at all. Just found it to be fairly boring and dull.

Have you checked your pulse lately? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Penn wrote: »
    What version did you play and when? Can't believe it's over 10 years since it came out.

Have you checked your pulse lately? :pac:

Ah there were definitely some jump-scares and tense moments, but I just couldn't get immersed in the game. And I could tell the core gameplay and controls were good, but it got to a point where I just really couldn't be bothered going any further.

What version did you play and when? Can't believe it's over 10 years since it came out.

PS2. Couldn't say when, maybe a few months after it first came out.

The PS2 version is pretty manky looking compared to the Gamecube one but sure the gameplay is the same. Horses for courses. It's not really a horror game though, it's way more about the action.

The PS2 version is pretty manky looking compared to the Gamecube one but sure the gameplay is the same. Horses for courses. It's not really a horror game though, it's way more about the action.

Yeah like I said, I can't even really put my finger on why. Maybe it was too hyped up or I just wasn't in the right headspace for it at the time or something, because it definitely seemed like it'd be right up my alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

One thing I will say for Resident Evil 4 is that I felt, like 5 and 6, that it went on too long. It felt like there were parts of it that were just thrown in there to artificially lengthen the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

One thing I will say for Resident Evil 4 is that I felt, like 5 and 6, that it went on too long. It felt like there were parts of it that were just thrown in there to artificially lengthen the game.

I was more like 40 hours where as the previous games (1-3) were more like 20 I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I still get chills when I hear a two stroke engine being fired up...

Advertisement