Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books written from the perspective of the evil guy

Options
  • 11-08-2015 1:48pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not talking about the "Bad guy who turns good or moody thinking about the relativism of justice" or "Bad guy who everyone thinks is good who turns out to be evil" but really the evil mastermind who actually wins. I'm talking like the Bison scene from the 94 movie as per below:

Simply put a bad guy, who knows he's evil and don't give a damn and goes on kicking heroes ass all the while doing so. Obviously require a certain talent not to turn it all flat and a flair for dialogues.

So, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

I found Kennet in the Liveships trilogy by Robin Hobb to be a great character, and large amounts of the books were from his perspective.

Angus Thermopylae in The Gap series by Stephen Donaldson was also a good character, and some of the books were from his perspective.

A Song of Ice and Fire has books written from various characters' perspectives as well, some of whom are evil. If you want books where the bad guys win a lot, then these are a pretty good example too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I was going to say Kennett too, some of his inner monologues were hilarious and a good contrast to his outer fascade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I found Kennet in the Liveships trilogy by Robin Hobb to be a great character, and large amounts of the books were from his perspective.

Angus Thermopylae in The Gap series by Stephen Donaldson was also a good character, and some of the books were from his perspective.

A Song of Ice and Fire has books written from various characters' perspectives as well, some of whom are evil. If you want books where the bad guys win a lot, then these are a pretty good example too.
    Read all but the Gap series; not really evil overlord enough (well the undead might be in GoT but they don't brag enough :( ) in any of the cases though but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence? Not exactly fitting but Jorg is not a nice person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps those who are wrong/evil by the prevailing mindset of the current era, but are a sort of Home town hero to their own people. So offhand the Barrayer series by Bujold. They could easily be the stock in trade villains: neo-feudalist imperialists in space (personally I approve :) ) but the author fleshes them out nicely and casts them in a sympathic light.

As well, there is Relative Dysfunctional series and the character of
    Al Capone
    . While it is soap opera at its best, that there was an attempt made to provide some form of governance was one the many interesting sections of the series.

As well, currently reading "SuperEgo", from the PoV of an ammoral intergalactic bio-engineered hitman : excellent deadpan humour, at least I hope it is humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Give Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence a go.

Advertisement