Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight oats

Options
  • 11-08-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

I have heard mixed things about making this.

some people say mix the oats and yogurt/milk and others say do not.

what are peoples opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I just mix dry oats with crushed weetabix, milk and cold water on the morning. Leave to sit for a bit then top up with water or milk. Throw in a few berries if I have them. 2 minutes max. No yogurt necessary for me anyway.

The overnight faff is just that. Faff that is unnecessary IMV. But each to their own and all that!

Absolutely so easy, filling, and nice and quick too.

(the bit of weetabix adds a different texture to it, and makes up for the fact that I don't use yogurt, or sugar either!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

My wife makes it with yoghurt the night before work. Can't say it makes much of a difference. What ever you prefer I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I just mix dry oats with crushed weetabix, milk and cold water on the morning. Leave to sit for a bit then top up with water or milk. Throw in a few berries if I have them. 2 minutes max. No yogurt necessary for me anyway.

The overnight faff is just that. Faff that is unnecessary IMV.
    The'res a saving of 2 mins plus the milk/yougurt will be warmer than from the fridge if left overnight - so 3 mins per day minimum time saving.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Some types of oatmeal (like pinhead) take less time to cook, when soaked overnight. Not sure if too many people bother with pinhead oats any more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

The overnight faff is just that. Faff that is unnecessary IMV. But each to their own and all that!

Absolutely so easy, filling, and nice and quick too.

(the bit of weetabix adds a different texture to it, and makes up for the fact that I don't use yogurt, or sugar either!)

It's not faff. Soaked oats are easier to digest. Also, if you add lots of different ingredients, it's a good idea to make them the night before (or you can make 4 portions at the same time as they are fine sitting in the fridge for that long).

I make mine with oats, cinnamon, berries, milk, stevia and either nut butter or coconut. I add ground linseed in the morning to avoid that horrible gelatinous consistency from soaked linseed (yuk!), so there's a fair few ingredients to get out. I really wouldn't be bothered making it first thing in the morning cuz I'm always starving & just want food ASAP!

• Advertisement

Ruby31 wrote: »
    It's not faff. Soaked oats are easier to digest.

Yes I know that. I do soak the oats... But two minutes is enough!

I've been eating raw oats for years now, just two minutes of a soak. With crushed Weetabix and maybe a few berries if I have them, then top up with milk. Sorted.

You are all being led by Facebook and the like.

No need for the overnight faff at all!

The'res a saving of 2 mins plus the milk/yougurt will be warmer than from the fridge if left overnight - so 3 mins per day minimum time saving.:D

Yay! But my method means that it doesn't matter if I forget, or can't be arased to do the overnight thing. Same result!

No stressies,lots of choices! Lol.

Advertisement