Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not what you know its who you know.

Options
  • 11-08-2015 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

these days applying for a job is like looking for a needle in a hay stack dis-morning i applied for a few jobs and got one reply back the usual crap sorry need more experience then y in the hell would i apply for the job in the first place, i though this rubbish was long gone ''its not what you know its who you know''. being seeking employment for nearly 5 years now how many of ye are coming to up against a brick wall every time they apply for work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

What kind of jobs are you looking for? Have you much working experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

What have you been doing with yourself the past 5 years.

No employer wants someone whose been out of the workforce for a prolonged period and has nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,576 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hunter456 wrote: »
    these days applying for a job is like looking for a needle in a hay stack dis-morning i applied for a few jobs and got one reply back the usual crap sorry need more experience then y in the hell would i apply for the job in the first place, i though this rubbish was long gone ''its not what you know its who you know''. being seeking employment for nearly 5 years now how many of ye are coming to up against a brick wall every time they apply for work.

Does your CV look like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

As Lux said what kind of jobs are you going for and how much work experience do you have? Are you tailoring your CV and Cover Letter for each individual job that you are going for or are you sending a generic cv and cover letter. Have you correct grammer etc on both.

It is quite hard to understand what you are saying above about the job you applied for today? Most jobs do look for some experience these days. It is a fact of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

I specailize in I.T and have 8 years experience. My Cv looks fine to me the right grammer used.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You mention that you have been searching for work for the last five years? Have you been out of the industry for the five years. That could be what is putting people off. Maybe look into doing so internships or voluteering if there are gaps in your cv.

In my experience employers do understand that people have gaps on their cvs due to dificiulty finding jobs but they want to see that you have been taking proactive steps in that time like voluteering, fas course etc, even free online course look show that you are trying to improve your skills and actively using the ones that you have.

I actively keep my skills up to date by doing reading and keeping up to date with the latest technology for pc and consoles its the gap is most likely due to looking and to being family cometted I stayed at home looking after my kids for the first years of their life... i never stopped looking something will come my way or I might open my own IT business but you need money to make money for a business

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

I know this is a message board so the grammar and spelling kind of go out the window especially on a mobile device, but it's hard to look past it in your posts. Have you had someone else proof read your cover letters and CV?

My other half is an employer and she routinely throws CV's straight in the bin if she spots a spelling or grammer mistake.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Might I suggest that you forget about the attitude that its not you that is unappealing to employers and that they are giving their jobs to contacts or people in the know?

That may well be true, but even if it is it just means you are going to have to be twice as good as the well connected person. The only way to go about achieveing that is to up your game.

Keep trying, dont get dismayed by rejection, do a course on interview/cv techniques and if necessary work in an internship/voluntary placement for 6 months.

I take the point that youve been keeping yourself up to date. But while you know that how is an employer supposed to? The only way they can assess how up to date you are is if you have bren recently been working or have the qualifications to show for yourself.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

grammar:)

• Advertisement

First thing an employer would look for is qualifications or a portfolio of work to show you've been active in the last 5 years.

Most IT skills are of a "use it or lose it" type. Things can change very quickly and knowledge can become obsolete.

I know you say you keep up to date, but if you can't quantify that and prove it on your CV, then it's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,576 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I specailize in I.T and have 8 years experience. My Cv looks fine to me the right grammer used.....

I'm sorry, I'm really not nit picking on your spelling but it's not great and I asked if your CV looked like that because you would be surprised how many I have seen where people have actually used text speak the way you did in the op. Maybe get someone to proof read/spell check it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What are you basing your opinion of "it's who you know" on?

It sounds a lot like a refusal to accept that "what you know" isn't up to par with other candidates.

Are you taking professional career advice and support? Has a career consultant ever reviewed your cv for you? What are your key skills and do they match the jobs you are applying for?

The spelling dose go out the window in regards to using a mobile but I a sure ye my grammer is good on my Cv. lets not get carried away I know the Irish public complain about everything but this a forum, I posted this thread to see was there anybody else in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course it's who you know. Always has been.

So - who do you know?

How many of your former colleagues have you had coffee with in the last month? How many of your contacts from mother's groups (or whatever you've done while not working) know what sort of work you're looking for? How many of them have asked their husbands if they have any work for you? How many LinkedIn groups are you an active member of?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The spelling dose go out the window in regards to using a mobile but I a sure ye my grammer is good on my Cv. lets not get carried away I know the Irish public complain about everything but this a forum, I posted this thread to see was there anybody else in the same boat.

Mod-note: Lads, please give the grammar / spelling bit a rest. Yes it was worth a short mention, but it's far from the only issue and has had quite enough coverage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Five years out of any profession is an eternity, it would be even worse for IT given the pace at which technology moves.

What have you done to keep your skills up to date and relevant in the past five years?

Reading the relevant sites for updates on software and hardware.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What area of IT/technologies did you work in? I.e.. we're you a service desk analyst, a developer, network admin?

Also what certifications do you currently hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

cronin_j wrote: »
    I know this is a message board so the grammar and spelling kind of go out the window especially on a mobile device, but it's hard to look past it in your posts. Have you had someone else proof read your cover letters and CV?

My other half is an employer and she routinely throws CV's straight in the bin if she spots a spelling or grammer mistake.

Do not let your other half see this post.....or else you are in trouble! :)

• Advertisement

Reading the relevant sites for updates on software and hardware.

If it's not quantifiable, then you're wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm not in IT but in management and hired for a MN for many years.

Reading to keep up with what is essentially a hands on creative process probably doesn't inspire during an interview.

I'd be thinking you need to get some actual current IT work into your CV, maybe this means voluntary or maybe it means looking for lower grade IT jobs just to get your foot back in the door.

In the five years I'm presuming you had some interviews - did you ask for feedback from them for points to improve on.

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm not in IT but in management and hired for a MN for many years.

Reading to keep up with what is essentially a hands on creative process probably doesn't inspire during an interview.

I'd be thinking you need to get some actual current IT work into your CV, maybe this means voluntary or maybe it means looking for lower grade IT jobs just to get your foot back in the door.

In the five years I'm presuming you had some interviews - did you ask for feedback from them for points to improve on.

reading is knowledge my friend but yes it dose not help with an interview but i do my own work on my own machines and help build custom PCs and repair consoles for friends have stated all of the above on my c.v i think its time for setting myself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Mrs O'Bumble is correct, its absolutely who you know, especially in SMEs, so work your networks, in addition to what she suggested contact all those people who you helped out with PC and console repair and let them know you are looking to reenter the workforce, and if they hear of any opportunities to let you know. Do
    you have qualifications, or are you self taught? If the latter you really need to get a qualification. A 5 year CV gap doesn't look too bad if its explained by caring for children in the early years, but is ameliorated substantially by an accredited refresher course.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

reading is knowledge my friend but yes it dose not help with an interview but i do my own work on my own machines and help build custom PCs and repair consoles for friends have stated all of the above on my c.v i think its time for setting myself up.

So are your eight years experience in building individual custom pcs and doing pc repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

If you build and repair pc's, have you done any certifications? If not, it would be a good place to start. Things like A+ and Network+. If you've been out of the workforce for 5 years, you probably qualify for access to some courses for free.

You may know a lot of what the course teaches you, but a lot of these courses line up work experience which can turn into a job.

Setting up for yourself is also something you could look at. Again, there are grants and courses you can do to help you start a small business.

If you build and repair pc's, have you done any certifications? If not, it would be a good place to start. Things like A+ and Network+. If you've been out of the workforce for 5 years, you probably qualify for access to some courses for free.

You may know a lot of what the course teaches you, but a lot of these courses line up work experience which can turn into a job.

Setting up for yourself is also something you could look at. Again, there are grants and courses you can do to help you start a small business.

Agreed with this, especially if OP wants to be employed by an IT organisation, certs are essential especially after 5 years

OP you could also contact your local entreprise board if you are thinking of setting up yourself. It's an area I'd consider fairly crowded in terms of competition though

Stheno wrote: »
    Agreed with this, especially if OP wants to be employed by an IT organisation, certs are essential especially after 5 years

OP you could also contact your local entreprise board if you are thinking of setting up yourself. It's an area I'd consider fairly crowded in terms of competition though
    This area of work is fairly crowded as its the way forward but none are employing atm, they are just working from them selves which isn't a bad thing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What courses have you done in the last 5 years. There are free ones out there through springboard , fas and skillnets.
    You don't seem to have any recent qualifications.
    An employer sees your CV and sees you've done nothing . reading doesn't get you certified.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Hunter456 wrote:
    I actively keep my skills up to date by doing reading and keeping up to date with the latest technology for pc and consoles its the gap is most likely due to looking and to being family cometted I stayed at home looking after my kids for the first years of their life... i never stopped looking something will come my way or I might open my own IT business but you need money to make money for a business

Keeping up to date with the latest technology and consoles could easily be "Browsing the internet and playing my xbox"

You need to account for those 5 years with something on your CV. I am long term unemployed myself (13 months now) but I haven't had any negative responses to my applications as you mentioned.

You are right though, it is who you know. While I was employed I noticed that plenty positions were coming up, but they were going to current employees family and friends.
    These positions were advertised even though they had been filled before hand. Joke really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement