Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not what you know its who you know.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hunter456 wrote: »
    but i do my own work on my own machines and help build custom PCs
    The above means jack.

A CompTIA A+ cert and the above means that your knowledge about PC's has been certified, and you are constantly keeping your certified knowledge up to date.

The CompTIA cert was developed for that one purpose in 1982; to show employers that the hobbyist actually knows what they're on about, as opposed to someone talking the talk, but unable to walk the walk. And as it's being around for so long, it's a well known cert.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This area of work is fairly crowded as its the way forward but none are employing atm, they are just working from them selves which isn't a bad thing either.

I meant that you may struggle to make a living in this area as there are already lots and lots of operators in that business.

You'd want to do a detailed business plan to see if it's something that you could earn a living at if you set up on your own.
    the_syco wrote: »
    The above means jack.

A CompTIA A+ cert and the above means that your knowledge about PC's has been certified, and you are constantly keeping your certified knowledge up to date.

The CompTIA cert was developed for that one purpose in 1982; to show employers that the hobbyist actually knows what they're on about, as opposed to someone talking the talk, but unable to walk the walk. And as it's being around for so long, it's a well known cert.

syco is now about the 10th person to reference getting qualifications, why do you keep ignoring this?

edit I just checked your posting history and you got this exact same advice about qualificaitons five months ago here, have you done anything since to progress that?

What sorts of jobs are you applying for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

You said you have been keeping up with the latest technologies? Where are your certifications? There's Linux , Windows, Cisco, java, Cisco , C++ exams, .Net framework, Oracle, SQL Server exams along with plenty more.

What area do you specialize in? You need to pick an area you want to work in , set up a lab on your computer, download the training videos and pay 150 to sit an exam in testing centres. Certifications can range from 3 exams to beginner level and 12 exams to master level. (And some of these "beginner exams" can take a year to get.

A five year gap on a C.V doesn't look good even with experience and companies will take graduates ahead of you with more recent qualifications.

My advice if you don't want to go down the exam root is to try and get a helpdesk posisition after just sitting one or two exams and try to work your way up in a company. If your a programmer then start making applications, fancy JSP, PHP websites to show off your talents when applying for jobs.

Edited just because I missed out on something but repairing PCs and Xbox's is not I.T at all. Its far far from it. There's plenty of graduates who know how to put a PC together. If you don't mind me asking what jobs have you been applying for? Maybe the Windows Servers exams might help along with an ITIL exam. If its just PC repair your into a very limited field.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

catsbanter wrote: »

Edited just because I missed out on something but repairing PCs and Xbox's is not I.T at all. Its far far from it. There's plenty of graduates who know how to put a PC together. If you don't mind me asking what jobs have you been applying for? Maybe the Windows Servers exams might help along with an ITIL exam. If its just PC repair your into a very limited field.

Sorry for being pedantic but I don't think you can do an ITIL exam here without a course, I've two friends who were trying but were told they had to do a course before they could sit the exam

Personally I think pc repair for individuals is on the way out, too much work covered by warranty these days, and devices are becoming more and more dispensable, people will go out and buy a replacement rather than deal with paying for a repair which may or may not work

Stheno wrote: »
    Sorry for being pedantic but I don't think you can do an ITIL exam here without a course, I've two friends who were trying but were told they had to do a course before they could sit the exam

Personally I think pc repair for individuals is on the way out, too much work covered by warranty these days, and devices are becoming more and more dispensable, people will go out and buy a replacement rather than deal with paying for a repair which may or may not work

I wasn't totally sure on the ITIL one actually as got taught by an ITIL instructor in work for three days in a group and did the exam at the end.
    But yeah PC repair is nearly dead as everyone knows someone who is handy enough at computers down the road from them. Antivirus etc is always in the news about buying things online and Windows XP was a hooor for viruses, Windows 7 not half as bad.

• Advertisement

But yeah PC repair is nearly dead as everyone knows someone who works in IT whom they assume will have no problem fixing their pc after a long days work in an entirely unrelated area .

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

reading is knowledge my friend but yes it dose not help with an interview but i do my own work on my own machines and help build custom PCs and repair consoles for friends have stated all of the above on my c.v i think its time for setting myself up.

See, I see an attitude and a level of denial in this post.

Reading is fine but you need the credentials to prove you've absorbed some of your five year reading. I know SFA about PCs and have built two, but putting that on a CV doesn't entitle me I a job in IT like you seem to think it does.

Honestly, between a five year gap of "reading" in your CV, combined with your point blank refusal to acknowledge the need to be certified and active in IT. I can see your CVs at the bottom of the pile and wonder about interview skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

_Brian wrote: »
    See, I see an attitude and a level of denial in this post.

Reading is fine but you need the credentials to prove you've absorbed some of your five year reading. I know SFA about PCs and have built two, but putting that on a CV doesn't entitle me I a job in IT like you seem to think it does.

Honestly, between a five year gap of "reading" in your CV, combined with your point blank refusal to acknowledge the need to be certified and active in IT. I can see your CVs at the bottom of the pile and wonder about interview skills.

the funny thing is its not a level of denial its me asking a question that's all. i have slacked off a small bit and desperate to enter back into the work force. have being applying for jobs day in n day out most of the time i get no reply but how many people have applied for that job already or is it gone. all a person can do is keep trying till you succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

all a person can do is keep trying till you succeed.

True, but the point everyone here is trying to make is that you need to upskill and get certs and experience to improve your chances.

You've been applying for jobs for years. Do you really think one will drop into your lap now if it hasn't already?

Take the bull by the horns and get yourself onto some relevant, accredited courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I actively keep my skills up to date by doing reading and keeping up to date with the latest technology for pc and consoles its the gap is most likely due to looking and to being family cometted I stayed at home looking after my kids for the first years of their life... i never stopped looking something will come my way or I might open my own IT business but you need money to make money for a business

Serious question. Did you get someone to proof read your CV?

If not, I'd do that as a first step towards getting a job.

Secondly, I'd get someone in the industry to then read your CV and to see what could be improved.

Thirdly, as mentioned before, I'd start doing some serious networking with past contacts and get involved with Linkedin Groups, etc.

Finally, your OP seems to have a negative attitude - I'd lose this pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

all a person can do is keep trying till you succeed.

True, but the point everyone here is trying to make is that you need to upskill and get certs and experience to improve your chances.

You've been applying for jobs for years. Do you really think one will drop into your lap now if it hasn't already?

Take the bull by the horns and get yourself onto some relevant, accredited courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I specailize in I.T and have 8 years experience. My Cv looks fine to me the right grammer used.....

What sort of company did you work for last?
    Have you any sort of qualifications at all?
    What sort of jobs are you applying for?
    Reading the relevant sites for updates on software and hardware.
    ComfortKid wrote: »
    Keeping up to date with the latest technology and consoles could easily be "Browsing the internet and playing my xbox"

That's essentially what it sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

the funny thing is its not a level of denial its me asking a question that's all. i have slacked off a small bit and desperate to enter back into the work force. have being applying for jobs day in n day out most of the time i get no reply but how many people have applied for that job already or is it gone. all a person can do is keep trying till you succeed.

I don't think you're getting the point, or at least you're choosing to ignore it. In today's job market, "trying" does not mean firing out cv's, it means retraining, upskilling, networking, volunteering and putting time into well written cv's and cover letters.

Employers have pretty much indicated at this stage that either your cv, your attitude, your experience or your qualifications are falling short somewhere. You need to find out where and work on correcting it.

Alternatively you can look at working for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

OP, you have got loads of really good advice here. Get your CV checked by someone impartial- some university open days have "CV clinics" for example. Try to stay positive. Take at least one course to keep your mind active and help to build up those all important contacts. In the area I work in (hse) we very rarely take on anyone that has not been with us for work experience. Try to arrange a few sessions of work experience to get your foot in the door.

People are getting dumber, so more of the repair crew are going for the longer maintenance jobs than the quick fix computer jobs. Most lads that I know that did it on the side have quit as it's too much hassle.

Oh, and as they get dumber, they expect you to backup their stuff on C:\users\default user\app data\random-directory\pictures and go mad if you don't as "that's what they paid you for".
    i have slacked off a small bit and desperate to enter back into the work force.
    But not desperate enough that you'll upskill?

=-=

First off, goto http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/free-a-plus/ and watch all the videos. Then do the exam. Advise you do the exam in two parts, as it gives you the option of a quick cram before the 2nd part; it costs the same.

Next off, do an IT job with scambridge for 6 months, and use the experience on your CV. Cert followed by experience will give you more of a chance than what you have now.

thanks very much for that link i'll watch those in the morning over my coffee.

OP if you post up your c.v. with all of your personal details and employer names blacked out, you might get some advice on how you could improve it

Not sure if been sarcastic :pac:

Uve been given a lot of great advice. Maybe Jobridge might be the way to go to get some experience because so far you have 0 years expierence 0 certs so you need to improve those stats and you will land a job!

And this attitude is why no-one will hire you.

Not sure if been sarcastic :pac:

Uve been given a lot of great advice. Maybe Jobridge might be the way to go to get some experience because so far you have 0 years expierence 0 certs so you need to improve those stats and you will land a job!
    the_syco wrote: »
    And this attitude is why no-one will hire you.

I kinda thought the same. No response from my post suggesting the Op post their c.v for free feedback, then a response that they'll look through free training when they are having coffee in the morning.

I know OP has posted they have kids to look after, but this is bordering on trolling.

I'm currently looking to become a ScrumMaster, can't find any free resources outside of scrum.org to help me, but am constantly researching on it to pass the exam.

OP, if you want to work in IT, here is the reality. In 2010 I lost my job in IT and got a new one a month later. I then did 13 exams to advance myself in a month, and currently I'm studying for another three professional certifications as required by one of the companies I work for.

I don't get to do that over my morning coffee, as I'm working, I get to do that evenings and weekends, with a time limit, while I'm also studying for a MAsters. That's an extreme example, but no one in IT ever stops studying/keeping up to date/participating in tech groups relating to their speciality.

You seem to be content to meander along on the basis that because you think you know the stuff, you should get the job.

In the current market, you've no experience, and no qualifications.

You need to get both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I kinda thought the same. No response from my post suggesting the Op post their c.v for free feedback, then a response that they'll look through free training when they are having coffee in the morning.

I know OP has posted they have kids to look after, but this is bordering on trolling.

I'm currently looking to become a ScrumMaster, can't find any free resources outside of scrum.org to help me, but am constantly researching on it to pass the exam.

OP, if you want to work in IT, here is the reality. In 2010 I lost my job in IT and got a new one a month later. I then did 13 exams to advance myself in a month, and currently I'm studying for another three professional certifications as required by one of the companies I work for.

I don't get to do that over my morning coffee, as I'm working, I get to do that evenings and weekends, with a time limit, while I'm also studying for a MAsters. That's an extreme example, but no one in IT ever stops studying/keeping up to date/participating in tech groups relating to their speciality.

You seem to be content to meander along on the basis that because you think you know the stuff, you should get the job.

You need to get both

For scrum you need to do the 3 day course. The ICT skillnet run them regularly .

You need to get both

Sorry for not writing back was busy yesterday will edit my Cv now and get it up right away now for someone to review it thanks for the help forks I appricated the help and guidance.

here is a copy of my edited c.v

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Looking at your CV your qualifications are at the lower end of the scale, especially when trying to get into the IT sector. Also you said above you have 8 years experience, you don't. Your CV has work experience of less than one year in an IT role, and that was 2009. Anything you have done since is not on your CV so as far as an employer is concerned it didn't happen.

To be honest getting a Jobsbridge position might be the best option. I'm not a fan of the scheme because it gives employers an opportunity get free labour, but really the scheme was made for people like you. It'll at least give you some recent work experience so that if you don't get kept on at the end of the scheme, you will at least have more up to date employment history.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, you are not going to get into an IT job without a good deal of evidence of up-skilling, partly because you need the skills but also because you need to show you are continuing to learn and improve your skills.

You also need to have someone help you with your cv. I know that working in IT does not specifically require document layout skills, but a total lack of care in layout of something as important as a cv shows just that - a careless attitude.

Using a phrase like 'I am big into computers' is a good way of ensuring you will never get work in IT, you need help in the way your cv is written.

Just to be blunt as the OP isn't listening to any advice. It looks like a 15 year old kid who thinks they know a lot about computers but they know very little.
    here is a copy of my edited c.v

Few tips to start out with.

Take out yout junior cert results.Not relevant and would turn an employer away from hiring you.

That course you did from 2008-2010 you need to put who awarded the course to you and what grades you.(is this real as employers will check)

Fixing a few computers should probably not be in a C.V. especially talking about antivirus install and formatting. It's very very amateurish. Like something someone who never attended college or did any certs ever.

Quite honestly it looks like a 16 year old thinking they know a lot of computers when they know very little. There's is a lot more to just formatting pcs and reinstalling windows in an office environment. It's usually deployed by windows server and antivirus is centrally managed from one console and you will have a hundred other responsibilities on top of this.

Get certs, go on job bridge and you will land a job! Think about it your up against people with degrees and who start certs after or during their college courses who get the jobs. It's not about who you know, it's applying yourself and up skilling.

Just to be blunt as the OP isn't listening to any advice. It looks like a 15 year old kid who thinks they know a lot about computers but they know very little.

Few tips to start out with.

Take out yout junior cert results.Not relevant and would turn an employer away from hiring you.

That course you did from 2008-2010 you need to put who awarded the course to you and what grades you.(is this real as employers will check)

Fixing a few computers should probably not be in a C.V. especially talking about antivirus install and formatting. It's very very amateurish. Like something someone who never attended college or did any certs ever.

Quite honestly it looks like a 16 year old thinking they know a lot of computers when they know very little. There's is a lot more to just formatting pcs and reinstalling windows in an office environment. It's usually deployed by windows server and antivirus is centrally managed from one console and you will have a hundred other responsibilities on top of this.

Get certs, go on job bridge and you will land a job! Think about it your up against people with degrees and who start certs after or during their college courses who get the jobs. It's not about who you know, it's applying yourself and up skilling.

im not a 16 year old and i never said i knew it all im very skilled with technology and computers but its always a learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hunter456, you started this thread with the idea that "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

I think that it's great that you know this - but now you should start to apply this knowledge. Don't waste time applying for IT jobs directly. Instead, talk to people you know to see who who might be able to help you get a job.

Also, something else to consider is to look for a more general job (eg retail of office-admin) and then try to become the local IT-specialist in the office: the person who helps everyone else fix problems with their computers or work out how to do things in Word / Excel etc.

Because you don't have much work experience, this might be a more successful way of getting some more work experience on your CV.

Hunter456, you started this thread with the idea that "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

I think that it's great that you know this - but now you should start to apply this knowledge. Don't waste time applying for IT jobs directly. Instead, talk to people you know to see who who might be able to help you get a job.

Also, something else to consider is to look for a more general job (eg retail of office-admin) and then try to become the local IT-specialist in the office: the person who helps everyone else fix problems with their computers or work out how to do things in Word / Excel etc.

Because you don't have much work experience, this might be a more successful way of getting some more work experience on your CV.

started to apply for job bridge internships for getting my self back into the work force might be the best option. at the end of the day its something to add to the c.v

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭protelos

OP I am just going to make a few changes to your CV and send it back to you. Of course it will only be my opinions but every little help!

Even if you don't use it, I have explained why I made the changes!
    Best of luck in your search! If nothing else it looks like Limerick is on the up! All be it from a very low point!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement