Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not what you know its who you know.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you aware that they are active schemes out there to mentor people wanting to get into/progress in IT?

THere was a big one launched recently, I'm a mentor on there, it's called MINT (mentoring in technology) and the website is https://mint.idirus.com/

I've used mentors throughout my career, and as I progressed, was sometimes fortunate to move from considering them my mentor, to being a peer.

Mentors can be invaluable.

A bit late with my response, but isn't MINT just for women in technology?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ScottStorm wrote: »
    A bit late with my response, but isn't MINT just for women in technology?

It is! I didn't realise that as there are so many male members on there.

Sorry OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Darkslide

Hunter456 wrote: »
    The ''better'' Cv is being noticed came out of an interview a few weeks ago it was for a Vodafone internet/network technicain position. Unfortunately i was unsuccessful with landing the position it went very well, To me that was a stepping stone to the right path.

Good man. I hope you get something you want soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The ''better'' Cv is being noticed came out of an interview a few weeks ago it was for a Vodafone internet/network technicain position. Unfortunately i was unsuccessful with landing the position it went very well, To me that was a stepping stone to the right path.

Get that qualification we were all encouraging you to go for!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

i am in the process of doing that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Now MrHunter456, where were we?

2 months ago, you were going to study the Professor Messor free video training for the A+ exam, how did you get on? Do you have the cert?

Great to read that you got called for at least one interview, have there been more since?

Can I ask, based on advice you've acted on over the last 2 months, do you still think that IT is a closed shop, based on 'who you know' and not 'what you know', or has your view of that changed?

Something about this thread kinda stuck with me, and after all the boardsies helping Hunter456, I'm curious to know if this will turn out to be a success story or not. I'm guessing from the lack of reply that there's been no updates about the training/exam, so chances are low that there is any change in the job hunt.

Hunter456 has been off boards for 3 weeks, so maybe he/she has just gone on a break. <edited>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Ah here, let's not be stalking the lad.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

Exactly. It's not an episode of Easties.

And getting an A+ certification (honestly) in a couple of months is some feat. There is alot of material to go through from what I remember (10 years ago now).

• Advertisement

Mod: alright guys, leave it be, no more speculating on how Op has done etc.

edanto wrote: »
    Something about this thread kinda stuck with me, and after all the boardsies helping Hunter456, I'm curious to know if this will turn out to be a success story or not. I'm guessing from the lack of reply that there's been no updates about the training/exam, so chances are low that there is any change in the job hunt.

Hunter456 has been off boards for 3 weeks, so maybe he/she has just gone on a break. <edited>

I have being watching the videos and hounding jobs bridge for internships also sending out C.Vs for work in my case any thing will do at this stage. Things are picking up so hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

I have being watching the videos and hounding jobs bridge for internships also sending out C.Vs for work in my case any thing will do at this stage. Things are picking up so hopefully

Keep at it Hunter! Remember not to get disillusioned coming up to and immediately after Christmas. Some companies wont want to hire at the end of their financial year, other may interview in Nov for jobs that dont start until Jan. So things might seem quiet but just keep at it, send/resend CVs, and you will eventually find yourself getting interviews, and then hopefully a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I posted on this thread a few times in agreement with the OP that it's not what you know but who you know. Since then, I have been proven wrong as I managed to get two jobs in the space of a month, neither of which I had "pull" in.

Just improve your spelling, and most importantly your attitude and keep applying for jobs.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I posted on this thread a few times in agreement with the OP that it's not what you know but who you know. Since then, I have been proven wrong as I managed to get two jobs in the space of a month, neither of which I had "pull" in.

Just improve your spelling, and most importantly your attitude and keep applying for jobs.

I have made a choice that today im going back to education and I have set my self up for a machine milling and turning course and further training. And its certified I can then progress on to higher level training after this course is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I agree..

People like to come up with all the reasons they can if they miss out on a job they were in for... to them its perfectly reasonable that the person who did get it had "pull" and the "job was always theirs" rather than just acknowledge that the person who got the job did a better interview and may have just been a better candidate than them.. I've interviewed on and off for years in small firms and multinationals - I'm always shocked that so few people who are unsuccessful come back for feedback, its only a tiny percentage, how the hell are they going to improve or know how close they actually are !!

If your striving for jobs beyond your current role, a step up, its reasonable that you're not always going to get these, but its still worth putting yourself out there and trying for them.. Accepting defeat and disappointment is part of life.. If people stopped doing stuff for fear of disappointment then the human race would still be in caves huddled round fires eating berries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Agreed, I've probably worked in about 7-8 jobs since I graduated from college and can categorically tell you I knew no one in any of those organisations and yet was successful. I interviewed for other roles certainly and was unsuccessful but if those decisions were due to the fact a knowingly lesser qualified or impressionable candidate was chosen over me, then I'm happy not to have been selected to work in those companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

It's all about staying positive I think. I used to go in to interviews knowing (or thinking) I wasn't going to get the job, I think interviewers can sense that.

Since I started being positive, kept telling myself that I will get the job, and if I didn't that it's more experience for me for my next interview. After a few, you get used to it and can relax more.

Best of luck anyway OP whatever you do.

It's all about staying positive I think. I used to go in to interviews knowing (or thinking) I wasn't going to get the job, I think interviewers can sense that.

Since I started being positive, kept telling myself that I will get the job, and if I didn't that it's more experience for me for my next interview. After a few, you get used to it and can relax more.

Best of luck anyway OP whatever you do.

i think this course will be the best thing as i love this kind of work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Good for you- best of luck.

• Advertisement

Went in and put my name down for the course 14 weeks long and full days not starting till Feb though, After this course im going to continue in engineering milling and turning training.

little change in plan for January i have looked at my options i think a change of a new career path is worth ago, iv have choosing welding i have paid for a course that is starting early next year for a welding course and when this course is complete i then will be attending another course which will be for an advanced course for welding. hoping to have landed a job by late summer next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GoodKill

You don't seem to have a clue what you want to do.

Seems getting certified in IT was too much effort. So you signed up for a milling and turning course and now a welding course?

Looks like you're looking for an easy way out to be brutally honest. And this way, you don't have to work until next summer. Really!?!

GoodKill wrote: »
    You don't seem to have a clue what you want to do.

Seems getting certified in IT was too much effort. So you signed up for a milling and turning course and now a welding course?

Looks like you're looking for an easy way out to be brutally honest. And this way, you don't have to work until next summer. Really!?!
    listen you bell end just because you had a bad day dosnt mean you come on here and give that kind of a reponse. it costing me alot of money to get these courses. I'm looking for a different career path am I not allowed to change because people do every day. The amount of snobbery in that comment sickens my **** at least I'm out there looking for change to gain employment. Some people have a nerve.....

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

I can assure you you are wrong here. In most of these roles there is no need to be fluent, plus, if someone sets themselves to it, a language can be learned in a week, at fluent business level. I took a French course with the nuns. One week, 7 days of 13 hours a day only speaking French, and boy, do you learn that language quickly.

But you have to have the determination to want that. If the OP is making excuses for everything rather than the will to win, he/she will not easily find a job.

This is absolutely not true. It takes a long time to learn a language properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

listen you bell end just because you had a bad day dosnt mean you come on here and give that kind of a reponse. it costing me alot of money to get these courses. I'm looking for a different career path am I not allowed to change because people do every day. The amount of snobbery in that comment sickens my **** at least I'm out there looking for change to gain employment. Some people have a nerve.....

The only thing I'll really say is that I had a guy in for interview recently. he had about eight courses he did listed on his cv - but no work since 2011. Now it's great and all that he DoD those courses, but all I thought was "why has he not done ANY job, just courses?"

Too many courses without any subsequent employment or even volunteer work can hinder you.

The only thing I'll really say is that I had a guy in for interview recently. he had about eight courses he did listed on his cv - but no work since 2011. Now it's great and all that he DoD those courses, but all I thought was "why has he not done ANY job, just courses?"

Too many courses without any subsequent employment or even volunteer work can hinder you.

were they courses he paid for or threw social welfare the course's i'm doing arent to keep my dole i'm paying for them to get employment. i'm starting with a basic course in welding and when i have that one done i'm going to the L.I.T college to do an advantage course in welding which i will be certified MIG,GAS and Arc welder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

were they courses he paid for or threw social welfare the course's i'm doing arent to keep my dole i'm paying for them to get employment. i'm starting with a basic course in welding and when i have that one done i'm going to the L.I.T college to do an advantage course in welding which i will be certified MIG,GAS and Arc welder

One through social welfare (ECDL), the rest were all paid for. Ultimately though, no matter how many pieces of paper he had, it still left us wondering why he wouldn't have gotten a retail, minimum wage job or done some volunteering or charity work for experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

One through social welfare (ECDL), the rest were all paid for. Ultimately though, no matter how many pieces of paper he had, it still left us wondering why he wouldn't have gotten a retail, minimum wage job or done some volunteering or charity work for experience.

And did you appraise him on his suitability for the role or on the fact that he had opted to further his education rather than take crap jobs which hinder his ability to better himself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

This is ridiculous. We all know that if someone is out of work for a long period of time, they need a good explanation. For some people, that's raising a family, bad economic conditions or looking after a loved one. I've been in a position where I had to explain gaps in my employment history and the people interviewing me were very understanding of my circumstances.

Putting down a load of irrelevant courses on your CV does make someone look like they have no idea what they want to do with their life. That's why every CV should be tailored to the type of job or company you're applying to. This is so basic, it should go without saying. Hunter, you can't get annoyed with people saying you lack direction, when you post on here every few months with an entirely different direction!! Just don't include it in your CV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement