Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not what you know its who you know.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

i can only say this due to our current financial climate and the position the state is in, further education is the right thing to do even if a career path change is necessary its the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hunter456 wrote: »
    i can only say this due to our current financial climate and the position the state is in, further education is the right thing to do even if a career path change is necessary its the right thing to do.

Absolutely it is. But it shouldn't stop you from job-hunting at the same time.

I studied part time to get my degree, and this spring i'm going back to get my masters, again part time.

If i can do my 50 hour week, commute 12 hours a week to college, and spend 12 hours there with another 15-20 over the weekend, then yeah, job-hunting while studying is entirely possible.
    It should be a given, so i don't buy the "changing study, therefore can't look for work" excuse.

aunt aggie wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. We all know that if someone is out of work for a long period of time, they need a good explanation. For some people, that's raising a family, bad economic conditions or looking after a loved one. I've been in a position where I had to explain gaps in my employment history and the people interviewing me were very understanding of my circumstances.

Putting down a load of irrelevant courses on your CV does make someone look like they have no idea what they want to do with their life. That's why every CV should be tailored to the type of job or company you're applying to. This is so basic, it should go without saying. Hunter, you can't get annoyed with people saying you lack direction, when you post on here every few months with an entirely different direction!! Just don't include it in your CV.

i was annoyed at the response he gave simple as that, people have a right to change a career path i thought i was heading for a career in computers but to be honest i'm a out doors person and love working out doors and welding is something i enjoy and you sometimes work in doors and out best of both worlds and i have place where i could start up my own business that's what i'm working towards. its well and good saying this but its something i will fur-fill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Hunter456 wrote:
    I specailize in I.T and have 8 years experience. My Cv looks fine to me the right grammer used.....

Hunter456 wrote:
    started to apply for job bridge internships for getting my self back into the work force might be the best option. at the end of the day its something to add to the c.v

Hunter456 wrote:
    i hope to have the comptia a plus completed soon i watched first video introductions dis morning and will watch section 2 and 3 tomorrow. i have a dual boot system already because some classic pc games wont run right on windows 7.

Hunter456 wrote:
    thanks for the post ya i have taken all of this advise in account and starting to watch the professor messer video courses on compTIA A+ and will do the exam and get that down on my C.V.

Hunter456 wrote:
    Very eventful few months instore for me fingers crossed I'll have something landed.

Hunter456 wrote:
    The ''better'' Cv is being noticed came out of an interview a few weeks ago it was for a Vodafone internet/network technicain position. Unfortunately i was unsuccessful with landing the position it went very well, To me that was a stepping stone to the right path.

Hunter456 wrote:
    i am in the process of doing that now.

Hunter456 wrote:
    I have made a choice that today im going back to education and I have set my self up for a machine milling and turning course and further training. And its certified I can then progress on to higher level training after this course is finished.

I'm baffled..

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I'm baffled..

i'm gonna be brutally honest here i'm going on a different career path y because i can how many people have i know tones of people even my own wife has done it from childcare to a fully qualified hairdresser. i know i posted this topic and its sounds i'm an idiot i assure you i'm not. i feel i'm doing the right thing.

• Advertisement

Hunter456 wrote:
    i'm gonna be brutally honest here i'm going on a different career path y because i can how many people have i know tones of people even my own wife has done it from childcare to a fully qualified hairdresser. i know i posted this topic and its sounds i'm an idiot i assure you i'm not. i feel i'm doing the right thing.

Maybe you are, but 3 different career paths in 3 months without actually doing a days work or training in any of them. You complained that you couldn't get a job because you didn't have pull, but you seem to be doing everything to avoid getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Best of luck to you, plenty of people are aiming sly digs at you now though so it's probably best you stop posting in the thread and request a mod close it at this stage.

who said anything about avoiding a job, never did every interview i got i attended but i wasn't successful. so please you dont know me dont make silly remarks you know nothing about. i was looking at my best options to land me a career i would enjoy. maybe i'll do the two course's milling and turning and also the 2 course's for welding. good jobs out there for people looking for engineering and lathe work also the buildings are picking back up soon enough there will be work for the welders. was talking to the college administrator today welding course is due to start next month. sky's the limit

Hunter456 wrote:
    who said anything about avoiding a job, never did every interview i got i attended but i wasn't successful. so please you dont know me dont make silly remarks you know nothing about. i was looking at my best options to land me a career i would enjoy. maybe i'll do the two course's milling and turning and also the 2 course's for welding. good jobs out there for people looking for engineering and lathe work also the buildings are picking back up soon enough there will be work for the welders. was talking to the college administrator today welding course is due to start next month. sky's the limit

It takes 4 years to become a qualified welder, just don't get your hopes up on getting a job as a welder by doing a course. Best of luck to you whatever it is you do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I fully expect OP to post back in 6 months time looking to be a fireman or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

ScottStorm wrote: »
    And did you appraise him on his suitability for the role or on the fact that he had opted to further his education rather than take crap jobs which hinder his ability to better himself?

Appraised him on his suitability for the role of course, but naturally questioned the lack of any kind of work in three years because sorry but you can job hunt while studying, just like most other people do.

We offered him the role in the end - turned down because he decided to do a part time course!

It's great if someone's doing courses to upskill, but doing nothing but courses for years on end, without even a part time or Christmas job screams "workshy."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

Look OP, I don't mean to be harsh, but you can do all the courses in the world, and still not get a job. The main issue I see here is your indecisiveness, and lack of work ethic. Like it or not, employers want to see that you have put time and effort into a real job.

Stacking shelves and counting cash in the €2 shop might sound rubbish experience, but it shows dedication, attention to detail, customer service, cleanliness, trustworthiness - all of which are very hard to prove when you skip from course to course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

listen you bell end just because you had a bad day dosnt mean you come on here and give that kind of a reponse. it costing me alot of money to get these courses. I'm looking for a different career path am I not allowed to change because people do every day. The amount of snobbery in that comment sickens my **** at least I'm out there looking for change to gain employment. Some people have a nerve.....

Buddy, you bring it on yourself. Over the course of this thread you have gone from moaning about people getting jobs through nepotism, through being all fired up about starting a career in I.T., then turning 180° and starting a milling course and apparently also welding, to who knows what next.

You've been ignoring most of the advice given from day one, while swearing and blinding at posters who lose their patience with you, complaining about the 'snobbery' of a poster who has the neck to be honest with you and not sugar-coat their exasperated opinion. Time and time again people have pulled you up on your spelling and grammar, explaining that this will not be looked upon favourably by a prospective employer, but you appear to make absolutely no effort in this area. You're talking about a "different" career path when you don't even have a career to begin with, even citing your wife's "career" as a hairdresser as a laudable example. And still, to this day, despite all the advice given and the promises made on your side, you have not found a job.

Bottom line: nobody on this thread can get you a job but you yourself. As far as I can see, you are your own worst enemy here. Forget about getting angry at other posters and take a long look at your own potential, what you're willing to do with that potential, and put together a serious, realistic plan for long-term employment. Because if you don't, you're the only one here who is going to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Absolutely it is. But it shouldn't stop you from job-hunting at the same time.

I studied part time to get my degree, and this spring i'm going back to get my masters, again part time.

If i can do my 50 hour week, commute 12 hours a week to college, and spend 12 hours there with another 15-20 over the weekend, then yeah, job-hunting while studying is entirely possible.
    It should be a given, so i don't buy the "changing study, therefore can't look for work" excuse.

id have a break down if i done that

Wanderer78 wrote:

Assume he/she sleeps for 7 hours a night, that leaves about 1 hour per day free time, count in dinner and shower ect and its about 10minutes a day free time.. Fcuk that, living life is more important.

Assume he/she sleeps for 7 hours a night, that leaves about 1 hour per day free time, count in dinner and shower ect and its about 10minutes a day free time.. Fcuk that, living life is more important.

you forgot regular exercise and time for family and friends, i suspect even sleep is off the cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Wanderer78 wrote: »

And a few years in the future, when he's got good qualifications and is pulling down big money as a result of the hard work, someone who's spent the intervening time scratching their bollix and "living life" will be moaning about how only "some people" get the good jobs...

And a few years in the future, when he's got good qualifications and is pulling down big money as a result of the hard work, someone who's spent the intervening time scratching their bollix and "living life" will be moaning about how only "some people" get the good jobs...

there truly is more to life folks. most of us get only one chance at life so make the best of it. spend as much time as possible doing the things that make you happy with those that respect you and vice versa. oh and do the best you can at looking after your physical and mental well being. your body and mind require these things to survive. materialistic things wont provide true happiness. believe it or not, we dont require that much money to survive, not as much as we think anyway. a good job is one that provides enough money to survive, does not consume too much of your time and is satisfying.

there truly is more to life folks. most of us get only one chance at life so make the best of it. spend as much time as possible doing the things that make you happy with those that respect you and vice versa. oh and do the best you can at looking after your physical and mental well being. your body and mind require these things to survive. materialistic things wont provide true happiness. believe it or not, we dont require that much money to survive, not as much as we think anyway. a good job is one that provides enough money to survive, does not consume too much of your time and is satisfying.

Very true, but not the point I was making.

Very true, but not the point I was making.

i understand cruelcoin is doing their best to secure their future and best of luck to them but you should never lose site of the priorities in life. your health should always be the priority, without which, you have nothing. the demands of modern life can take its toll and sometimes permanently if you're not careful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thing about that is, there is no official "end" of a hard working period and a "start" period to enjoy the fruits of your years of 12 hour days and working weekends, that's not how the working world operates. You climb the ladder and get a promotion, more responsibility, more hours, more pay but less time to reap rewards of said pay. You go up even higher and become manager/director, yes more money but even more pressure, less support, more hours. Its funny that you almost mock people who don't want that kind of corporate life and yet those very people are trying to get the work/life balance as stable as they can.
    You are blinkered and naïve if you think that hard work and long hours has a shelf life for people aiming to "pull down big money".

Home for 11, bed for 2, alarm set for 7:50 the next morning.

Bit of hard work killed nobody lads.

spend as much time as possible doing the things that make you happy with those that respect you and vice versa. oh and do the best you can at looking after your physical and mental well being..

Precisely why i did the course.

I have no intention of working in that field (computer science) and am currently well paid and happy where i am.

I did it purely out of personal development and nerdy interest.

Anway, point i was making is that effort, hard work and the results that come from it are beyond nobody. There is nothing wrong with setting a goal...and you know....completing it?

i understand cruelcoin is doing their best to secure their future

True, nothing wrong with a plan b

Thing about that is, there is no official "end" of a hard working period and a "start" period to enjoy the fruits of your years of 12 hour days and working weekends, that's not how the working world operates. You climb the ladder and get a promotion, more responsibility, more hours, more pay but less time to reap rewards of said pay. You go up even higher and become manager/director, yes more money but even more pressure, less support, more hours. Its funny that you almost mock people who don't want that kind of corporate life and yet those very people are trying to get the work/life balance as stable as they can.
    You are blinkered and naïve if you think that hard work and long hours has a shelf life for people aiming to "pull down big money".

Again, not the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Again, not the point I was making.

Your quotation of people living life and reference to people whinging about others getting the best jobs made me presume you were looking down on those who do not follow corporate life. I only understand English I'm afraid. If you are trying to be funny or clever maybe point this out in your posts, nobody here is a mind-reader. Cheers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod: Thread closed, going around in circles at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement