Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New line from pole?

Options
  • 11-08-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering switching my broadband and phone from sky to get efibre. My only concern is the cable from the pole outside. I'm in Clondalkin village and according to the site,my line is fibre enabled. The pole is right outside the garden so it's a short run but the cable from it is very old and only two of the very thin wires in it are connected on the inside of the house to the box. Is it possible to have this cable replaced? The broadband with sky has never been great and I've little doubt this is a major part of it so I'm very reluctant to go with another provider using the same line. I had issues in the first place with the line when i was getting sky but any changes made were at the nearest exchange, no one did anything about the line to the house.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I'm considering switching my broadband and phone from sky to get efibre. My only concern is the cable from the pole outside. I'm in Clondalkin village and according to the site,my line is fibre enabled. The pole is right outside the garden so it's a short run but the cable from it is very old and only two of the very thin wires in it are connected on the inside of the house to the box. Is it possible to have this cable replaced? The broadband with sky has never been great and I've little doubt this is a major part of it so I'm very reluctant to go with another provider using the same line. I had issues in the first place with the line when i was getting sky but any changes made were at the nearest exchange, no one did anything about the line to the house.

Thanks.
    Hi Guy:Incognito

Thanks for posting us,

A line is only ever replaced where it has been deemed to be causing technical issues. Unfortunately eircom cannot provide service on any terms beyond their existing terms and conditions of service however if you do become an eircom customer and it is found by a series of tests by our technical support team that the line is creating technical issues there would of course be appropriate repairs arranged to provide a resolution.

It's also important to note that this can still be done if you remain with your current provider - the usual route take is to log the issue to your provider who in turn will log the issue to eircom engineers to resolve - the same level of works and care is taken withstanding what provider you are with.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hi Alan, 

TBH I wet through the whole thing with Sky at the time of going with them in the first place. Initially it wasnt working at all. I asked about the line to the house but nothing was ever done. They arranged with yoursleves for the line to be checked (remotely) and apparently there was a fault at the exchange. Once that was sorted and there was service on the line, nothing more was done. No one ever came to physically check the connection at the house. I gave up trying in the end.

I'll most likely hang on for UPC to get service here that they say is on the way. there was a survey team on the road a short while ago so hopefully its on the plan.

Cheers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Alan, 

TBH I wet through the whole thing with Sky at the time of going with them in the first place. Initially it wasnt working at all. I asked about the line to the house but nothing was ever done. They arranged with yoursleves for the line to be checked (remotely) and apparently there was a fault at the exchange. Once that was sorted and there was service on the line, nothing more was done. No one ever came to physically check the connection at the house. I gave up trying in the end.

I'll most likely hang on for UPC to get service here that they say is on the way. there was a survey team on the road a short while ago so hopefully its on the plan.

Cheers anyway.
    No problem Guy:Incognito

I hope your experience improves soon. If there's anything else I can clarify please let me know.

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement