Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any toilet training tips

Options
  • 11-08-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I am trying to toilet train my daughter. She is 2 & 8 months. She has wet 6 times today and it just doesn't seem to bother nor does she seem to notice she is going. Any tips or suggestions
    If she wasn't due to start Montessori I would just leave her be for another month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I was in the same position as yourself in that I had to train my daughter at 2.5 years. She would never tell me when she had wet or dirtied her nappy so I was expecting it to be tough.

I started on a Saturday morning and planned to stay in with her all weekend. I never forcibly sat her on the toilet just reminded her every 30 mins or so to tell me if she needed to go to the toilet. We had 10 accidents on day 1, 9 on day 2. By day 3 it clicked and she only had 1 accident. And by the end of the week she was trained day and night (I didn't force the night training....it just happened she was dry every morning that week, so removed the nappy).
    I don't know if we were just lucky or if my approach helped, but that's my experience.

Good luck!

Edited to add give lots of praise when she does pee in the toilet. Praise seems to work well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Same approach here. Buy lots of cheap spare clothes, be prepared for a lot of accidents the first two days, but stick with it and you'll be grand. Took us a week in total.

We had some 'special' loo paper, special soap, and a special hand towel. Just to make him feel super special so that he wanted to use the potty. (2.5 as well at the time).

Also try and have a few pottys around initially, as they might not be able to hold on very long.

And if you find it doesnt work at all, leave it for a week and try again.

Good luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Also 2.5 yo boy here and toilet training. Started about 6 weeks ago and he got the wee only took a few days. But omg the poo is a different story altogether! We have tried everything. Star charts, reading, music, bribery with toys and chocolate as a last resort! But no joy! He will just not do his poo in the potty or the toilet! I even sent him in with Daddy (tmi) to see how it is done!!! But he gets extremely stressed and refuses. He prefers to do it in his pants!!!! But then keeps saying " o no no no!" When he's doing it! :(. I don't know what to do. His montessori won't except him in September if he's not fully toilet trained :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Sligo we had the exact same thing with our fella, started training him last October, only got the poos consistantly just after Christmas (probably not what you want to hear!).
    For us he hated pooing in the potty & was a bit afraid of the toilet until we got one of those seats with the ladders in Symths. When I knew he had to go I'd let him climb up on the toilet, I'd sit on the side of the bath & distract him as I think it was the sensation that he didn't like, usually we'd say the alphabet together as he was obssessed with letters at the time & he'd poo before he'd realise what he was doing. Then it was all about the praise "Did you hear that splash, I think that was the biggest poo I've ever seen" weird but it worked. Then we'd wave the poo goodbye as we flushed the toilet, wash hands & go get a chocolate sweet from the sweet jar. It took a few goes but it did eventually click.
    As for Montessori I used to send him in pull ups just in case. I'd make him go to the toilet before we left the house & gave him no big drinks until I was sure he was consistantly trained.
    I look back on those days when I thought he'd never get it but one day he just did & he's never looked back since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

I was starting to loose hope altogether by after reading your posts I'm gonna give it another go tmrw. She is happy to not wear the nappy etc. she wants to be wearing her lovely Elsa knickers. We must be all singing off the same hymn sheet here, I to sing the Abc's when she is on the loo to entertain her :) I think she doesn't know when it's come img as she just stands there and let's it come. I've put her on the toilet what feels like 20 times and she won't go. Then one min later it's in a puddle :(

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Sligo we had the exact same thing with our fella, started training him last October, only got the poos consistantly just after Christmas (probably not what you want to hear!).
    For us he hated pooing in the potty & was a bit afraid of the toilet until we got one of those seats with the ladders in Symths. When I knew he had to go I'd let him climb up on the toilet, I'd sit on the side of the bath & distract him as I think it was the sensation that he didn't like, usually we'd say the alphabet together as he was obssessed with letters at the time & he'd poo before he'd realise what he was doing. Then it was all about the praise "Did you hear that splash, I think that was the biggest poo I've ever seen" weird but it worked. Then we'd wave the poo goodbye as we flushed the toilet, wash hands & go get a chocolate sweet from the sweet jar. It took a few goes but it did eventually click.
    As for Montessori I used to send him in pull ups just in case. I'd make him go to the toilet before we left the house & gave him no big drinks until I was sure he was consistantly trained.
    I look back on those days when I thought he'd never get it but one day he just did & he's never looked back since :)

Thanks Mrs2011. From what I've heard boys sometimes can be a little bit slow to get the hang of the poos. I'm going to try one of those little ladders u mention fr Smyths. Hopefully that will work and he will like the novelty of it. What upsets me is the fact he is now getting upset when doing his poo on his pants. And gets stressed when doing it. I hate to see him like that. If the ladder doesn't work I think I will just leave him for a couple weeks then try again. Thanks for your post and ideas :).

OP, best of luck. I can really empathise about the montessori deadline. It puts a lot of stress on things. They are still so young aswell. I would've left my little guy and his poo phobia for another few months if we didn't have a September deadline. Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Starting here soon too. Have done a few wees and pops but only when asks. This morning I knew she was about to poo, offered potty but was told no.

In the nappy so. To date potty only when asked and its hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

1 wee on the ground so far this morning, She has sat on the toilet about 5 times but just doesn't seem to realise when she needs to go. I'm in 2 minds thinking of getting pull ups for when we are out and about, I don't want to be putting her in nappies when going out so I think this is my best option.
    Here's to another frustrating day, Thank god there is good drying out

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Have you tried the 3 day method? It worked for us, but my lad was a little older when he did it. I can pm you.

You go cold turkey on the nappies/pull-ups. Day and night. Be prepared for a couple of days of puddles as they learn about their body. No multiple potties here - just one in a downstairs loo, and one in the upstairs loo if you have that kind of house.

He's had a few accidents since, but those were adult error - such as someone giving him a large drink immediately before bed, not reminding him to wee right before bedtime or not responding right away to him calling for one of us to another room, but other us dropping the ball on those occasions, he's fully trained, and got the hang of it within three days. He's a bit afraid of doing bowel movements now he's more aware of his toileting habits but I hear that's common and I'm feeding him lots of juices and fibre to keep things moving along.

I was pleasantly surprised at how it ended up being a positive and enjoyable few days for both of us because I was really dreading it and assuming he'd be getting upset and be stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We trained our eldest at 2yrs 5months, like yours the first day was bad, second a little better and we were out and about by day 4. I would advise avoiding pull-ups, think how confusing it is for them that there are certain pants they can wee in?

We did just pants for 3 days at home, set alarm for every 20 mins to sit on potty. Used a reward chart for every achievement: doing a wee in the potty, stating dry etc

We used nappies for naps/night time. She's just turned 3 and night trained herself.

It's a very frustrating process as its one of the only things you cannot help them with at all, they won't do it until they are ready, no matter how much we want otherwise!

Hope today went better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Oh Christ, do all montessoris have rules about toilet training? My 2yr5month old just got a place in junior Montessori and I never thought to ask about nappies. He's not even close to being at the races for training though. He's getting grommets now but as a result of the delay, he had virtually no speech and I can't reason or negotiate with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Stickers worked for a while. Then m&ms, she got more for poos :) Then after a while and tons of accidents she got it. She was about 2 and a half. At some point she didn't want to do poos so we told her they were flushed to the seaside and it was important to let them go on their holidays, that they loved going - worked great!! Keep going and do whatever works for you. Only thing I would say is don't give up and go back to nappies, I was told be practically everyone that that is a disaster and will backfire the next time you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

yellow hen wrote: »
    Oh Christ, do all montessoris have rules about toilet training? My 2yr5month old just got a place in junior Montessori and I never thought to ask about nappies. He's not even close to being at the races for training though. He's getting grommets now but as a result of the delay, he had virtually no speech and I can't reason or negotiate with him.

Our Montessori asked if he was trained on the form we filled out when registering him but never said it was manditory that he was. He started Montessori at 2 yrs 5months but we didn't begin training him for another month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Any Montessori I looked at bar one won't take toddlers in nappies, the one that did was a playschool that took younger kids too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Defo no to pull ups or any sort of nappies - that'll just confuse them more.:o

May be obvious, but we also pointed out to our son where he should feel that his bladder is full - just pointing to his bladder, to make him aware where to expect that sensation that he needs to go. Might help (migt not, who knows, cant hurt tho :pac:

We've only ever had 'deliberate' accidents - where he knew full well he would get attention if he peed in his pants. He night trained himself at 3.5; just decided he no longer needed nappies at night and that was that.i still cant believe how lightly we got away :o

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

We tried loads with our 3yr boy including charts from the supernanny website, he just didn't care... and what sealed it was a big Whiskey bottle beside the toilet (4 litre bottle, got it from local pub) and everytime he did a wee or poo he got money to put on the bottle, with the promise that when there was enough money on the bottle he could get a lefo fire station! (his choice)
    Obviously tons of encouragement along the way and reminding him he's a big strong boy now helped as well but the physical aspect of the bottle - something tangible to him - made all the difference.

Ok so little one announced no more nappies so we followed her lead. The problem is two days and no success - do we put nappies back on or leave her to it

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

bp wrote: »
    Ok so little one announced no more nappies so we followed her lead. The problem is two days and no success - do we put nappies back on or leave her to it

It would be a shame to waste that enthusiasm :) I say go for it! if you want to pm me an email address I'll send you the pdf 3 day method I used. It was fairly painless and an overall positive experience.

Neyite wrote: »
    It would be a shame to waste that enthusiasm :) I say go for it! if you want to pm me an email address I'll send you the pdf 3 day method I used. It was fairly painless and an overall positive experience.

Thanks, pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭blondie1985

I am trying to toilet train my daughter. She is 2 & 8 months. She has wet 6 times today and it just doesn't seem to bother nor does she seem to notice she is going. Any tips or suggestions
    If she wasn't due to start Montessori I would just leave her be for another month

You will have to stay at home 3/4 days. No nappies at all this confuses them. Reward chart worked for us. And even if she has accident don't give out say you are meant to go on a potty, she should help you clean it. First day put her on every 15/20 mins and second day after that she will figure it out herself.

• Advertisement

You will have to stay at home 3/4 days. No nappies at all this confuses them. Reward chart worked for us. And even if she has accident don't give out say you are meant to go on a potty, she should help you clean it. First day put her on every 15/20 mins and second day after that she will figure it out herself.

Bloody husbands confusing the situation!!! Pull up on before I could stop him....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Yellowhen it depends on the Montessori ;) the one beside my house that is part of a creche don't mind in fact the manager said a good few of the boys are still in nappies...one beside work which is not a creche, they start at 2years and also do afterschool club for local primary schools told me they should be toilet trained but would accept a pull up if they were almost there. The one where I have my boy down which is in a Montesorri junior school (2.5 years-12 years) point blank told me they must be toilet trained. The teacher said they do get parents sending the kids in who are not 100% and the then send them home and basically say see you next year!!!! So I am not even going to chance it next year if he is not 100%!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Millem wrote: »
    Yellowhen it depends on the Montessori ;) the one beside my house that is part of a creche don't mind in fact the manager said a good few of the boys are still in nappies...one beside work which is not a creche, they start at 2years and also do afterschool club for local primary schools told me they should be toilet trained but would accept a pull up if they were almost there. The one where I have my boy down which is in a Montesorri junior school (2.5 years-12 years) point blank told me they must be toilet trained. The teacher said they do get parents sending the kids in who are not 100% and the then send them home and basically say see you next year!!!! So I am not even going to chance it next year if he is not 100%!!!!

Turns out it was fine. Creche were great and had no problem with it. The relief....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Turns out it was fine. Creche were great and had no problem with it. The relief....

That's brill ;) I don't think any montessorri that is in a creche would have a problem.

So he did a poo in the potty!!! Wohoooooooooooo!!! Well actually 2! First one on Friday. I didn't want to jinx it by posting here as I thought it might be a once off. I thought maybe I just grabbed him and put him on just in time. But I took a treat in with me sat him on and sang the abc while he held my hands (he was quite stressed and asked me to song the abc 3 times!!,) and then bingo! He loved throwing the poo in the big toilet and waving bye bye poo! (Thanks for that tip ms2011 :)). Then he got some chocolate. He didn't go yesterday but just now he started running around the room again so I knew it was coming. Did the same routine (but this time he shouted for me not to sing the abc... Lol). He sat there and cried a little bit and held my hands and BINGO again! Then he got up and saw his poo and said " o wow wee!". And he LOVES waving bye bye to the poo and flushing it down the big toilet. So he got some choc buttons and now watching a cartoon as a treat. Am soooooooooo relieved. I hope he keeps it up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Thats brilliant sligo, keep encouraging him to tell you when he needs to go. Our little guy is 3 weeks out of nappies now and its going great thank god. No pull ups and going full nights with no accidents. The poo took a little longer to grasp than the wee and we didn't use a potty just the toddler toilet seat.
    I started with singing and holding hands to try encourage him to stay on the toilet to poo because he'd get up too soon, we had 3 poo accidents in the first week where he told us he needed to go, we brought him in, he didn't go, went back to playing about and two mins later went in his pants and told us after he'd gone. he soon grasped it and sometimes if he's struggling to go but needs to we let him watch the ipad when going because it usually takes him 10/15mins to poo and it keeps him occupied.
    This weekend he stood at the toilet and wee'd like daddy :) he was chuffed with himself so now he decides if he'll sit or stand for a wee. He is obsessed with the minions at the minute and he pronounces minions the same way he says wee wees its so bloody confusing :):):)

On a side note regarding the creche,
    I took a few days off work to train him, we started on a sunday and because he was doing great i sent him to creche on the wednesday at this stage he had gone 3days & 2 nights with no accidents, went to creche no accidents during the day, but at nap time they put a nappy on him, i was disgusted. When we got home from creche that afternoon he had a wee accident as he taught he still had a nappy on him. I told the creche i didn't want a nappy put on him again, their response was that it was policy to put a nappy on them at nap time to stop them wetting the sheets, as too many sheets would have to be washed! needless to say he didn't have a nappy put on him again and has not wet the sheets! I told them we would collected him before his nap or give them extra sheets to avoid a nappy. Talk about confusing the little pet and they were the ones that said to me once you take the nappy off don't put it back on just stick it out! Totally contradicting themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Question for you all if you don't mind! Were your little ones out of their cots when toilet training started? My son was two in May and we are thinking of starting toilet training in the next month. He's still in his cot though. I would think he'd need to be in a bed, not sure why. I've recently returned to work after two years off with him so there has been a lot of change recently. Not sure if taking the cot away from him too is a good idea!! Any thoughts?

cant26 wrote: »
    Question for you all if you don't mind! Were your little ones out of their cots when toilet training started? My son was two in May and we are thinking of starting toilet training in the next month. He's still in his cot though. I would think he'd need to be in a bed, not sure why. I've recently returned to work after two years off with him so there has been a lot of change recently. Not sure if taking the cot away from him too is a good idea!! Any thoughts?

My guy is 2.5 and trained and still in his cotbed which we haven't converted to the bed yet. I'm in no risk to convert it and will say we will wait till at least 3 or when he is ready :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    My guy is 2.5 and trained and still in his cotbed which we haven't converted to the bed yet. I'm in no risk to convert it and will say we will wait till at least 3 or when he is ready :)

Thanks Sligo! Don't know why I'm hung up on him still sleeping in a cot. Probably because I have visions of him heading off to the toilet by himself at night...not realistic I'm sure to start with! Anyways I routed out the checklist on toilet training I got off the PHN at his 2 year check and I don't think he will be ready for another couple of months. Thanks again for your reply.

• Advertisement

Bringing up this thread as started toilet training this morning. Hasn't gone to plan at all! He blank refused to put on his cool jake the pirate underpants, he wanted his nappy. Finally after seeing daddy's underpants he put them on. Was afraid of the toilet but then gave it a go. We got colourful cushioned toilet seats for him. Had two accidents in the space of 15 minutes and then got upset and wanted his nappy back. I put a nappy back on because I really don't want to push him and I felt the whole experience overwhelmed him a bit even though it was all very light obviously. He is two and 8 months and I'm due a baby in August and want him comfortably trained by then. Im just not sure if he is ready. I'm thinking of leaving it a week but to keep talking about it and trying again next Friday. Any tips advice would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement