Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any toilet training tips

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You only started this morning so maybe he needs time to get his head around it. He will have lots of accidents in the first few days, its how they learn. Lots of positivity from you, lots of activities you can do together so you keep an eye out for his cues, and make it a fun experience.

Have you read up on any methods that you plan to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Neyite wrote: »
    You only started this morning so maybe he needs time to get his head around it. He will have lots of accidents in the first few days, its how they learn. Lots of positivity from you, lots of activities you can do together so you keep an eye out for his cues, and make it a fun experience.

Have you read up on any methods that you plan to follow?

Hi neyite. Oh gosh I'm totally prepared for accidents. Have an underwear mountain! Of course that's how he learns and feels what's going on. I suppose I wasn't prepared for him being so against it and the last thing I want to do is push him into something he's not ready emotionally for. Have been reading for months probably doing too much reading and not enough chat about what's going to happen! No particular method but our plan was to put him on the toilet every 20minutes and stay in the house in just his underpants and he would be fully trained in three days!!! Not asking for much am I! I suppose I was wondering did people experience much resistance/fear at the start and if so did they continue or stall for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Hi Cant26, different ways work for different people. We trained our guy last July he was 2 and a bit. I had wanted to do it earlier but i knew he wasn't ready and i didn't want to push it. But what we did do a few weeks before we officially started was every night before bed we took his nappy off and let him use the big toilet like daddy. We would make a big fuss about how great he was when he went.

The first day i took the nappy off he did have a few accidents but that is expected. Every 10/15 mins i was asking did he need to wee or poo. When he did go again we made a big fuss and told him how great he was. We also bought him lots of cool pants and a sticker chart and he got to pick a sticker and put it on every time he went. When i took the nappy off i never put it back on. He did ask for it but i told him how he was a big boy and the nappys were for his new baby cousin. The first night i took him up at 3am he didn't go but wet the bed about 3.30am. I went in changed him and the bed and he has never wet it since. We didn't leave the house for the first 2 days on day 3 we went for lunch and on day 4 he went to creche. If you know yourself he is not ready leave it a week or two but we sure to encourage him to go wee like dad when ever he can. Once you feel he is ready when you take the nappy off don't put it back on as it will only confuse him. Sometimes its more convenient to throw a nappy on them when going out but don't. It might take a week it might take two but keep it going.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

cant26 wrote: »
    Hi neyite. Oh gosh I'm totally prepared for accidents. Have an underwear mountain! Of course that's how he learns and feels what's going on. I suppose I wasn't prepared for him being so against it and the last thing I want to do is push him into something he's not ready emotionally for. Have been reading for months probably doing too much reading and not enough chat about what's going to happen! No particular method but our plan was to put him on the toilet every 20minutes and stay in the house in just his underpants and he would be fully trained in three days!!! Not asking for much am I! I suppose I was wondering did people experience much resistance/fear at the start and if so did they continue or stall for a while.

It would be a lot easier with a bit of prep involved, for everyone in the house to be honest. Springing it on him is likely to make him resist, and hold out for what is familiar to him. I've a stubborn lad so knew I had to be prepared for both our sakes. I read up on a method I liked. There was lots of talking about learning to use the potty like [insert potty-trained friend or cousin], a couple of app games on my phone, and let him use the potty for as long as he was more comfortable with that than the toilet itself. I had a sticker chart, new activities and crafts lined up for us, and an end-of-day prize of a little dinky car. I was very nervous, can you tell?

Poo refusal is very common in potty training too, according to his creche teacher nearly all toddlers experience it and trust me, you do not want a constipated toddler. Its hell. I'd take the colic days over it again :P I messed up not looking out for that one, but otherwise I had him successfully trained in 3 days, day and night thanks to the method I used.

Would you like me to email you the potty training booklet I used? Pm me an email address and I'll send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I tried all the reading etc and tried a few times, then one day she asked to use the toilet, and went wee.

It took four days to get it properly

• Advertisement

It would be a lot easier with a bit of prep involved, for everyone in the house to be honest. Springing it on him is likely to make him resist, and hold out for what is familiar to him. I've a stubborn lad so knew I had to be prepared for both our sakes. I read up on a method I liked. There was lots of talking about learning to use the potty like [insert potty-trained friend or cousin], a couple of app games on my phone, and let him use the potty for as long as he was more comfortable with that than the toilet itself. I had a sticker chart, new activities and crafts lined up for us, and an end-of-day prize of a little dinky car. I was very nervous, can you tell?

Poo refusal is very common in potty training too, according to his creche teacher nearly all toddlers experience it and trust me, you do not want a constipated toddler. Its hell. I'd take the colic days over it again :P I messed up not looking out for that one, but otherwise I had him successfully trained in 3 days, day and night thanks to the method I used.

Would you like me to email you the potty training booklet I used? Pm me an email address and I'll send it on.

Thanks a million neyite. I can't believe how badly I've approached this! I've the toilet seats, potty book, reward chart, underpants all bought weeks ago. When do you think I introduced them? This morning...absolutely madness. My guy is stubborn too and is very much safe in his routines. He told me his underpants were scary. Anyways glad I stopped when I did.
    Gonna spend the next few weeks reading books with him and getting him familiarised with his seats and underpants. Also talking about his big cousin who loves his underpants and going to the big toilet!
    Would love a copy of the booklet will pm you my address. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We started with my 2 year 9 month old daughter at Christmas and to be honest, apart from terrible timing on my part, she just wasn't bothered trying. I stopped and tried again 3 weeks later and it was much more successful. I got her lovely pants with cute bunnies and cats etc. I made a big fuss of her being such a big girl like X her best friend/arch rival in crèche ( apparently this type of friendship starts very early with girls!)

Anyway every 10 mins I asked if she needed to do a wee. I'd put her on the potty after 20 mins if she didn't go herself. I did my ridiculous wee wee dance every time she did one. I praised her about being so big and made a point of telling everyone how big she was and how proud we are if her. That really clicked with her. By day 3 it did click and she had one accident. Day 4 was at Creche and she had no accidents. We've had a few accidents in Creche etc in the last 3 weeks but it's been pretty easy really.
    I think if they are really resisting then stop and try again in 2-3 weeks. At that age, a few weeks can make a huge difference.
    We didn't do reward charts but they did in crèche for the first week. I think for her it was the praise for being so big that worked best.
    The only thing I'd say is avoid putting nappies or pull ups back on if you start because that's very confusing for them. It may take 3-4 days for them to recognise the feeling of a wee coming. Poo is still taking her by surprise even after 3weeks but thankfully we've only had 2 of those accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Just an update from my original post, I started trying to train my daughter from the summer on as she was starting Montessori in Sept. In the end she didn't get it till she was 3 at Christmas time. She just wasn't ready before then. I started to fear she never would but she is fine now. I tried everything. A good tip i got was download an app on the phone/iPad for toilet training and the star chart was what really got her going. If there not ready it just won't work.
    I did jump up and down and clap and make such a fuss If she went. It was a tough few months

We started with my 2 year 9 month old daughter at Christmas and to be honest, apart from terrible timing on my part, she just wasn't bothered trying. I stopped and tried again 3 weeks later and it was much more successful. I got her lovely pants with cute bunnies and cats etc. I made a big fuss of her being such a big girl like X her best friend/arch rival in crèche ( apparently this type of friendship starts very early with girls!)

Anyway every 10 mins I asked if she needed to do a wee. I'd put her on the potty after 20 mins if she didn't go herself. I did my ridiculous wee wee dance every time she did one. I praised her about being so big and made a point of telling everyone how big she was and how proud we are if her. That really clicked with her. By day 3 it did click and she had one accident. Day 4 was at Creche and she had no accidents. We've had a few accidents in Creche etc in the last 3 weeks but it's been pretty easy really.
    I think if they are really resisting then stop and try again in 2-3 weeks. At that age, a few weeks can make a huge difference.
    We didn't do reward charts but they did in crèche for the first week. I think for her it was the praise for being so big that worked best.
    The only thing I'd say is avoid putting nappies or pull ups back on if you start because that's very confusing for them. It may take 3-4 days for them to recognise the feeling of a wee coming. Poo is still taking her by surprise even after 3weeks but thankfully we've only had 2 of those accidents.

This sounds reassuring! You're dead right in that a few weeks can make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

My girl is 2.5 too and can go full day in creche with no accidents but will be wet within an hour of being home. I bring her to the toilet when we get in the house, and ask every half hour. She usually says no, and it's a battle to try convince her to try. She'll sometimes have a tantrum if I bring her in (knowing she hasn't gone in a while) Now and again she will tell me, and I heap the praise on her, but other times she doesn't even notice. She did so well at the start so am utterly confused,, I started training her in November. She wears pull ups at night time, would this be confusing her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Makapakka wrote: »
    My girl is 2.5 too and can go full day in creche with no accidents but will be wet within an hour of being home. I bring her to the toilet when we get in the house, and ask every half hour. She usually says no, and it's a battle to try convince her to try. She'll sometimes have a tantrum if I bring her in (knowing she hasn't gone in a while) Now and again she will tell me, and I heap the praise on her, but other times she doesn't even notice. She did so well at the start so am utterly confused,, I started training her in November. She wears pull ups at night time, would this be confusing her?
    They go through phases of regression right up to 3.5-4 years. I've notice it happens less in the last year and my son is now 5. It can be very frustrating as you think they've got it. There could be an element of control with your daughter. Maybe try a star chart for a week and explain to her before you start it that she gets a star for going to the toilet all by herself and without your participation. Then the difficult part for you is to step back for the week and see how she does.

Hi Neyite. Just wanted to thank you for sending me on the toilet training booklet. After lots of preparation we started about three weeks ago. He was a pro! By the end of day one it clicked. A few little accidents in the first week but apart from that he has gotten it fully. Number ones and twos!!! I didn't night train him as the booklet suggests but he seems to have done that naturally in the last week as his nighttime underpants (pullups) are dry every morning. Thanks again:)

It's a great booklet isn't it?

Likewise, the night training seemed to fall into place naturally for us too. I'm delighted it worked well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Oh neyite, could I possibly get that? Hoping to do this over the summer when I'm off.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Oh neyite, could I possibly get that? Hoping to do this over the summer when I'm off.

Sure. Pm me an email address and I can send it on. :)

It's a great booklet isn't it?

Likewise, the night training seemed to fall into place naturally for us too. I'm delighted it worked well for you :)

It really is great and by reading it I saw how my original 'plan' of just popping him on the toilet every twenty minutes was bonkers for us! Delighted we waited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

cant26 wrote: »
    It really is great and by reading it I saw how my original 'plan' of just popping him on the toilet every twenty minutes was bonkers for us! Delighted we waited now.

Any tips as to what they recommend instead? I did this with my daughter for the first day or two and had planned on the same for my son next month but open to other suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi Neyite, any chance you could pm me the booklet? T is 3 and trained 1 year now but his nappy is still soaked in the morning! I haven't even tried night training him. His nappy is even wet through some mornings. I'm also starting to train my daughter next month so it might be some help :). Thanks

Sligo, I cant attach a file to a pm, but if you pm me an email address I'll forward it on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Neyite, could I plague you for the booklet too? I'll send you my email address. My little girl is 2 and half and trained by day for months but still has a pull up at night but she hates it. She's still wet a lot of mornings though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

How many people do you know have used it neyite? Has it worked for them all? My son is 3 and 2 months but I still feel he's not ready. The booklet has me full of enthusiasm now but I'm afraid I'm setting myself up for a disappointment.

I've shared it round quite a few YH, but only Cant and myself have so far came out the other side of the training I think. My SIL is planning to do it in the summer - a new baby meant that she had to postpone it a bit.

Go with your gut though. If you feel he's not ready then give it another couple of months and assess him then - and that works well with doing it in the summer time because they can run around in just underwear.

I had the toilet seat, potty and step in the bathroom for a couple of months before we began just to see if it would pique his interest.

I'll email on the booklet to anyone still to receive it tomorrow if I have an email address for you. I was totally unconvinced that he would be dry at night but I decided to do it by the book and was very surprised that it worked. I never put a single pull-up on him ever.

Sligo, I cant attach a file to a pm, but if you pm me an email address I'll forward it on. :)

Awesome Neyite. Thanks. I will pm you my email now. I think my girl was ready a month or 2 ago tbh. And now I think I've left her too long. She was only 2 in March but well ready. But I wanted to wait till summer so I could just leave her run around in the nip. Now she's started holding her poo in and distressed. So I feel I've made a mistake and should have done it already 😟

Sligo, our creche worker says that is extremely common. He told us its rare a child doesn't withhold. They are used to doing it without realising, without interrupting their play, whereas when they approach potty age they become more aware of the sensation. It's very probably nothing you've done.

We let him bring his tablet into the loo for distraction. I explained that if he keeps the poo in, it grows bigger and it can hurt coming out so thats why he has to let them out when they want out, when they are nice and small. We begged and bribed and tried all sorts of things to get him over the fear.

And I worked on ensuring his diet had stuff to keep the stool soft - Ducolac didn't seem to do much, but orange juice worked wonders. I've a mini-measure that holds the equivalent of two pub measures (guess what I mostly use it for, huh?) and he was very taken with the idea of drinking his orange from the little glass so he would take loads for me that way. He also loves getting medicine so I loaded up a calpol syringe with OJ and gave it to him that way. Getting them to blow bubbles while on the loo relaxes the muscles they are clenching to hold it in.

Oh, I meant to say, I've just sent on the email to you and Sillysocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh can I PM my address to you Neyite for the booklet? My four year old is trained, and my baby is only 2 months old but I'd love to have some proper advice for when her turn comes around (mostly to combat MIL interference!).
    Thanks!

Oh can I PM my address to you Neyite for the booklet? My four year old is trained, and my baby is only 2 months old but I'd love to have some proper advice for when her turn comes around (mostly to combat MIL interference!).
    Thanks!

Sure :)
    Drop me an email.

My mum picked it up and read it one evening and thought it was brilliant. She wished there was something like that when we were being trained back in the dark ages day. She said the thinking and logic behind it made so much sense. So maybe get her to read it too?

I offered it to someone who planned to potty train but they were going with the Gina Ford method I think. A year on and the trainee is still in pullups at night. I think I'd crack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kittyo

Hi Neyite - would love a copy of this book too if you don't mind. Have sent you a pm. T

Sligo, our creche worker says that is extremely common. He told us its rare a child doesn't withhold. They are used to doing it without realising, without interrupting their play, whereas when they approach potty age they become more aware of the sensation. It's very probably nothing you've done.

We let him bring his tablet into the loo for distraction. I explained that if he keeps the poo in, it grows bigger and it can hurt coming out so thats why he has to let them out when they want out, when they are nice and small. We begged and bribed and tried all sorts of things to get him over the fear.

And I worked on ensuring his diet had stuff to keep the stool soft - Ducolac didn't seem to do much, but orange juice worked wonders. I've a mini-measure that holds the equivalent of two pub measures (guess what I mostly use it for, huh?) and he was very taken with the idea of drinking his orange from the little glass so he would take loads for me that way. He also loves getting medicine so I loaded up a calpol syringe with OJ and gave it to him that way. Getting them to blow bubbles while on the loo relaxes the muscles they are clenching to hold it in.

Thanks very much for the reassurance Neyite! It's great to get other perspectives 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bingwhoosh

Hi Neyite, hate to annoy you but would love a copy of this as intend to potty train my little one during summer when I am off on maternity leave. Will pm you my email. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement