Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Morzadec wrote: »
    Is it absolutely crazy to not include Mahrez in my WC team? Is he a must have at his price?

He is great value and leicester attackers in general look underpriced. As it seems they are a far better team than they have been priced at. I went with vardy over mahrez but would be in the minority on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Morzadec wrote: »
    Is it absolutely crazy to not include Mahrez in my WC team? Is he a must have at his price?

Part of the reason people might hesitate on him at the moment is that they feel bad about missing the boat on a 6.1m player who originally cost 5.5.

In relation to that I think his movement, his shots, his underlying and overlying stats are too good to ignore. Last week was the first time he didn't deliver (since the tail end of last season)and he had picked up a knock.

He will still go up in value imo and he has a nice run of games, is confident and is the focal point for most of the good things that Leicester does. Will teams now set out to stifle his attacking threat ? Quite possibly but I think he'll get a few more games of relative freedom before Managers start coming up with specific game plans to neutralise him (I could be completely wrong with this) we usually see that kind of thing in a second season.

Whats the worst that can happen ? He blanks 2 or 3 and you get rid of him before his value drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Colking wrote: »
    Part of the reason people might hesitate on him at the moment is that they feel bad about missing the boat on a 6.1m player who originally cost 5.5.

In relation to that I think his movement, his shots, his underlying and overlying stats are too good to ignore. Last week was the first time he didn't deliver (since the tail end of last season)and he had picked up a knock.

He will still go up in value imo and he has a nice run of games, is confident and is the focal point for most of the good things that Leicester does. Will teams now set out to stifle his attacking threat ? Quite possibly but I think he'll get a few more games of relative freedom before Managers start coming up with specific game plans to neutralise him (I could be completely wrong with this) we usually see that kind of thing in a second season.

Whats the worst that can happen ? He blanks 2 or 3 and you get rid of him before his value drops.

Any if he'd not gone off with a knock he'd quite likely have taken that penalty. I think he's a must have till the bandwagon is clearly dead. Not quite another Ramsey but similar.

Busts is the founding and so far lonely member of the Anti-Riyad Brigade!! :D

FHFC wrote: »
    Any if he'd not gone off with a knock he'd quite likely have taken that penalty. I think he's a must have till the bandwagon is clearly dead. Not quite another Ramsey but similar.

Vardy 13 mahrez 11 since that decision. I think there is an argument for having the two of them in your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Vardy 13 mahrez 11 since that decision. I think there is an argument for having the two of them in your team.

They and Gomis/Ayew are tearing it up as attacking duos for the mid table teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Have had both of them since the start.
    It's my consolation for not having Ayew and Gomis and the reason I have not brought them in.
    Will be a nightmare decision which one to discard when their fixtures turn sour.

Nothing major happened transfer wise that makes me wish I kept my wildcard after all.

Nothing major happened transfer wise that makes me wish I kept my wildcard after all.

Yep, Im still shocked United didn't get a striker. They should have even gone for Chaz Austin. May not be world class but he's a goal scorer.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Yep, Im still shocked United didn't get a striker. They should have even gone for Chaz Austin. May not be world class but he's a goal scorer.

Ye very suprised both them and arsenal didn't get a striker. Liverpool need a wide man to supply benteke. We could be on for a strange ff season.

• Advertisement

Ye very suprised both them and arsenal didn't get a striker. Liverpool need a wide man to supply benteke. We could be on for a strange ff season.

The PL in my opinion is going downhill. The big name players just don't seem bothered in coming to it anymore.

I'm surprised Aguero has hung around this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Well they got Anthony Martial :P.
    £36m and up to £58m if bonuses are applicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Agreed. Was worried some team might do something mad (signing Zlatan mad, not signing Martial mad!) which would have tempted/forced me into a restructuring of my team.

My current team is unaffected by any of the transfers so happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Decided to play the Wildcard! I've been stung for player value so far, so I'm going to try chase that over the break. The team I actually want will only result in about 3 or 4 sideways transfers, but will be making many multiples of that as I go value hunting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

AdMMM wrote: »
    Decided to play the Wildcard! I've been stung for player value so far, so I'm going to try chase that over the break. The team I actually want will only result in about 3 or 4 sideways transfers, but will be making many multiples of that as I go value hunting!

A bit naive imo. You can chase value no matter when you use your wildcard. You should've kept it for when you genuinely needed to make changes

stephenl15 wrote: »
    A bit naive imo. You can chase value no matter when you use your wildcard. You should've kept it for when you genuinely needed to make changes
    Well there's sideways changes that I wanted to make that I couldn't really justify taking hits for throughout the gameweeks. This way I'll also have the team I want straightaway for the next GW. I'd much rather have the team I want right now than having to make several difficult decisions over 4 gameweeks!

• Advertisement

stephenl15 wrote: »

Don't fully agree (but my bias is probably well known! :) ) Going early sets you with a foundation to build value way beyond the actual wc week. You can eliminate players heading for drops and as well as immediate value gains in the week have players steadily rising over the next 2 to 3 weeks. For example I'm up 0.4 on Gomis (0.2 resale) since getting him in in GW3, while I've not had anyone lose me value yet.

Don't fully agree (but my bias is probably well known! :) ) Going early sets you with a foundation to build value way beyond the actual wc week. You can eliminate players heading for drops and as well as immediate value gains in the week have players steadily rising over the next 2 to 3 weeks. For example I'm up 0.4 on Gomis (0.2 resale) since getting him in in GW3, while I've not had anyone lose me value yet.
    This definitely came into my mind when deciding whether or not to play the wildcard. If I didn't get off to such a bad start, I may have held onto it, so my hand has been forced in that sense. I know that if I'm to make inroads towards the end of the season, one of the things I'll need to do is have a team value greater than those above me. Having that greater flexibility at the business end is one of the more important parts of the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

if lvg says de gea is back in his team I think I'll bring him in as well and take the profit on darmian whobis showing an affinity for yellow cards !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

This definitely came into my mind when deciding whether or not to play the wildcard. If I didn't get off to such a bad start, I may have held onto it, so my hand has been forced in that sense. I know that if I'm to make inroads towards the end of the season, one of the things I'll need to do is have a team value greater than those above me. Having that greater flexibility at the business end is one of the more important parts of the game!

I think your overestimating what you call a bad start to the season, the rankings are skewed due to the various different chips that have been played so early.

You've scored over 50 points twice this season already - which i think a lot of people on here would love to have gotten.
    Your 40 points away from the top 90k in the world, 40 points in nothing at this stage of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I was fiddling with my WC team and took him out, then confirmed the changes like a moron. It'll cost me 0.3 more to get him back now. So out of spite I'm going without him. Take THAT Mahrez. Anti-Riyad now has 2 supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

jive wrote: »
    I was fiddling with my WC team and took him out, then confirmed the changes like a moron. It'll cost me 0.3 more to get him back now. So out of spite I'm going without him. Take THAT Mahrez. Anti-Riyad now has 2 supporters.

Done that last season with Costa. Worst is i brought him back in, and he went to crap. Still hurts that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've only stepped into this thread now and have only read the last page, I see that you have had a bit of conflicting feedback already, in my opinion you've made a mistake using the wildcard to chase value using these few sideways transfers you mentioned, as already mentioned the rankings right now are a bit nuts and mean little, secondly it doesn't look like it'll be a good week to gain team value. Thirdly I seem to recall that one of those sideways moves was Bellerin to Monreal:eek::P

It proves nothing but is still relevant that for the last two years I've had a pitiful transfer value for one reason or another but I've finished very well on both occasions. I think you will regret this wildcard at some stage before Christmas when you look back at it, it sounds like you are not improving much where an 8 point hit would suffice.
    Sorry for the lecture and I know it's too late but wildcards are more valuable than that, I debated hether to use my own this week but for thereasons I've outlined I decided against it, it's easy to panic when you feel left behind but I was in a similar position last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't know if I agree with the regular assertion that the gw rankings and score now don't mean much. When referring to the guy in your league who used his 3 chips and wildcard already and has taken a decent lead on you, but makes terrible decisions, you're confident enough of taking him down and rightly so.

Good players are doing well too though. Lemlin for example is on almost 200, if I was sitting on approx 140 and in a private league with him I would be feeling pretty miserable about being 60 points behind him knowing he's likely to sign in many of the same good players I will.

Yes there's 34 weeks to go and any lead is absolutely salvageable but I'd be looking at 4 GWs in a season as being capable of making or breaking a private league and thus these 4 are no different.

CSF wrote: »
    I don't know if I agree with the regular assertion that the gw rankings and score now don't mean much. When referring to the guy in your league who used his 3 chips and wildcard already and has taken a decent lead on you, but makes terrible decisions, you're confident enough of taking him down and rightly so.

Good players are doing well too though. Lemlin for example is on almost 200, if I was sitting on approx 140 and in a private league with him I would be feeling pretty miserable about being 60 points behind him knowing he's likely to sign in many of the same good players I will.

Yes there's 34 weeks to go and any lead is absolutely salvageable but I'd be looking at 4 GWs in a season as being capable of making or breaking a private league and thus these 4 are no different.

But we were talking about mortals, nobody said you could sneak by Lemlin.:P

In all seriousness nobody wants to be 50 or more off where you want to be but 34 weeks is a right long time. Some week you'll have 4 cleann sheets and a penalty save, couple of goals from your captain etc. Even the cream of this forum are still in six figures in

If I recall if your in and around 400k every quarter you will finish top 10k. Maybe someone like iroced who keeps records could work out the average gw rank for a top 10k finish. I'm in and around 600k happy enough with that for the first 4 weeks.

If I recall if your in and around 400k every quarter you will finish top 10k. Maybe someone like iroced who keeps records could work out the average gw rank for a top 10k finish. I'm in and around 600k happy enough with that for the first 4 weeks.

Yeah, i think in or terms top 500k is nicely placed at this stage. Top 750 is fine. I'm 345k and delighted with that. 13 points behind Lemlin for the reference.

Of course if a serious player has had a good start he'll be hard to catch in you pl but my point in the other thread is that an unusually high proportion of the current top couple of hundred k are not serious players, have wasted chips and will fall away. So if you're outside 1m or even higher i still think you'll cut through the overall rankings easily especially after xmas. Top 10k, 20k is not out of the question if you're at 2m now imo.

Yeah, i think in or terms top 500k is nicely placed at this stage. Top 750 is fine. I'm 345k and delighted with that. 13 points behind Lemlin for the reference.

Of course if a serious player has had a good start he'll be hard to catch in you pl but my point in the other thread is that an unusually high proportion of the current top couple of hundred k are not serious players, have wasted chips and will fall away. So if you're outside 1m or even higher i still think you'll cut through the overall rankings easily especially after xmas. Top 10k, 20k is not out of the question if you're at 2m now imo.
    For overall rankings, yeah grand. But people usually stress more over their money leagues in any case

Ah I don't know this one (I may have posted my quarters rank in a post last year... I'll check that later) but if some of you want/need reassurance, hear this ;) !

My last season 9152nd finish corresponded to an average GW rank of... 844,952.

The year before I finished 1663rd (IIRC) and my average GW rank was about 600k (don't have the file with me here to be precise).

So yeah don't worry about your current OR and even good players like Lemlin can have their bad runs and be caught :p (I think I finished well above him last year despite a very slow start of the season).

This is the WC Team I am currently contemplating (barring injuries)

I would appreciate any ripping/rending/shredding you can add to the mix (otherwise known as objective advice!)

oSGkIpI.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

This is the WC Team I am currently contemplating (barring injuries)

Taylor might not see that much gametime. He has only played the full 90 once so far this season.

You also have a strong front 8, which means you'll have a selection headache every week and, inevitably, points left on the bench some weeks when you make the wrong call.

To upgrade Taylor, I would suggest you downgrade one midfielder to 4.5 playing benchfodder. The only trouble you have is deciding who to get rid of! :pac:

• Advertisement

Taylor might not see that much gametime. He has only played the full 90 once so far this season.

You also have a strong front 8, which means you'll have a selection headache every week and, inevitably, points left on the bench some weeks when you make the wrong call.

To upgrade Taylor, I would suggest you downgrade one midfielder to 4.5 playing benchfodder. The only trouble you have is deciding who to get rid of! :pac:

Thanks for replying. It's a tough one. I'm thinking of keeping those players in my side (strong 8) to take advantage of price rises/current form. I would normally go with a 4.5 or 4.4 5th mid as I hate having expensive players on my bench but I think all of the current 8 are likely to continue to rise in price.

I normally don't mind running with a 4.0 Defender or 3.9 -3-8 to keep the value further up the pitch. Hopefully when TV improves I can upgrade these areas.

I could downgrade Amavi to a 4.5 and upgrade Taylor to a 4.5. I'd probably look at Martin from Norwich, Muniesa from Stoke, Francis from Bournemouth.

Thanks for replying. It's a tough one. I'm thinking of keeping those players in my side (strong 8) to take advantage of price rises/current form. I would normally go with a 4.5 or 4.4 5th mid as I hate having expensive players on my bench but I think all of the current 8 are likely to continue to rise in price.

I normally don't mind running with a 4.0 Defender or 3.9 -3-8 to keep the value further up the pitch. Hopefully when TV improves I can upgrade these areas.

I could downgrade Amavi to a 4.5 and upgrade Taylor to a 4.5. I'd probably look at Martin from Norwich, Muniesa from Stoke, Francis from Bournemouth.

I'd suggest that option is best 2 4.5 defenders. 5 for a villa Def is too much sherwood is an attacking manager. Lots of decent 4.5 options.

@Colking.

I agree with both previous feebacks you got.

I'll just add that if you're happy enough with your strong front 8, maybe you could take advantage of the price rises now and play your 2-5-3 chip the following GW. Then it's up to you who to get rid of (but you may have a better view on things by then).

When I played my failed WC the other day (so far I'm happy enough the price changes made it fail) I had that in mind but I kept on hesitating (which actually made me pass over the price change deadline) since I couldn't persuade myself it was the best time fixtures wise to use it.

It's not bad though. But I felt there could be a better time...
    City: home to WH.
    Swansea: home to Everton.
    Leicester: away to Stoke.
    Bournemouth: home to Sunderland.
    Liverpool: home to Norwich.
    WBA & Villa play each other in the Hawthorns.
    Only thing is Chelsea hosts Arsenal.

I'd suggest that option is best 2 4.5 defenders. 5 for a villa Def is too much sherwood is an attacking manager. Lots of decent 4.5 options.
    iroced wrote: »
    @Colking.

I agree with both previous feebacks you got.

I'll just add that if you're happy enough with your strong front 8, maybe you could take advantage of the price rises now and play your 2-5-3 chip the following GW. Then it's up to you who to get rid of (but you may have a better view on things by then).

When I played my failed WC the other day (so far I'm happy enough the price changes made it fail) I had that in mind but I kept on hesitating (which actually made me pass over the price change deadline) since I couldn't persuade myself it was the best time fixtures wise to use it.

It's not bad though. But I felt there could be a better time...
    City: home to WH.
    Swansea: home to Everton.
    Leicester: away to Stoke.
    Bournemouth: home to Sunderland.
    Liverpool: home to Norwich.
    WBA & Villa play each other in the Hawthorns.
    Only thing is Chelsea hosts Arsenal.

Thanks for the replies and advice. Could be a good time to look at 2-5-3 alright. The week after an International often has a heavy spike in value going up.

5 decent defenders is a safer bet alright. It should also mean i won't need to waste a FT on a defender for a few weeks at least.

For whatever reason though Amavi is someone I think could have a real break out season and get a nice amount of attacking points.

Evans is not nailed on with Pulis and it might be better to monitor him for a few weeks.

Decisions, Decisions ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

@Colking
    Just to add my 2 cents worth to the good suggestions you already have received you could consider downgrading a striker to 4.5M at some stage instead of a midfielder. Playing the all out attack chip sooner rather than later will free you to decide what options are better for you imo.

Just a general point on the 253 chip.

While its probably the least dramatic chip benefit wise, and there are arguments for playing it early, or in a week where you simply have poor defender options, I'm thinking the best time to play it will be late in the season when increased team value allows you to potentially have a very strong front 8.

E.g. have 4 big hitter mids plus a mid price. You could make a transfer to bring in an extra big mid the week before wildcarding.

iroced wrote: »
    Ah I don't know this one (I may have posted my quarters rank in a post last year... I'll check that later) but if some of you want/need reassurance, hear this ;) !

My last season 9152nd finish corresponded to an average GW rank of... 844,952.

The year before I finished 1663rd (IIRC) and my average GW rank was about 600k (don't have the file with me here to be precise).

So yeah don't worry about your current OR and even good players like Lemlin can have their bad runs and be caught :p (I think I finished well above him last year despite a very slow start of the season).

I was up in the top 5k last year and fell as far as 35k before eventually finishing at 16k.

I blame a lot of it on one move. Harry Kane to Graziano Pelle in my January wildcard.

I learned a valuable lesson though - don't try to be too clever.

I was up in the top 5k last year and fell as far as 35k before eventually finishing at 16k.

I blame a lot of it on one move. Harry Kane to Graziano Pelle in my January wildcard.

I learned a valuable lesson though - don't try to be too clever.

+1
    + Paully.

Lets watch each others backs for "too clever" shįthe this year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭skippy15

Just a general point on the 253 chip.

While its probably the least dramatic chip benefit wise, and there are arguments for playing it early, or in a week where you simply have poor defender options, I'm thinking the best time to play it will be late in the season when increased team value allows you to potentially have a very strong front 8.

E.g. have 4 big hitter mids plus a mid price. You could make a transfer to bring in an extra big mid the week before wildcarding.

had read a great article early on to that effect highlighting the strong potential for playing them later with increase TV and in effect potential stronger bench fodder
    But in regards the above team- potential to play the bench boost followed by the 253 and play that strong form front 8 for two consecutive weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

first wildcard draft what do ye think wise ones?

2di3i41.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

patrickc wrote: »

2di3i41.png

Not bad don't don't bench kolarov. Too much spent on defence. Maybe go with 2 5.5m def and then 2 4.5s that rotate well for the third spot. Maybe downgrade Clyne to Gomez, jagielka to a 4.5 and start shaw and kolarov every week. The money you save would leave you enough to get silva instead of yaya maybe, or a few other upgrade

patrickc wrote: »

2di3i41.png

If you insist on showing all the tabs you have open you could at least indulge us with a few risqué sounding ones, most people won't even look at your team but we'll all check that out:o
    The last post gives good advice, too much by about 2m on defence imo,
    Yaya seems like a weak choice in the city line up but he'll probably surprise us.
    Target is on borrowed time, that'll cost you an unneeded transfer very soon.

What is the logic behind Jagielka? Chelsea, United and Liverpool are their next 3 home fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Wildcard still in play, haven't looked at it much since the rate of transfers slowed down.

Having second thoughts about my attack & City coverage though. I've:

Mid: Sanchez, Pedro, Silva, Mahrez, Sako
    Strikers: Aguero, Wilson, Vardy

I could comfortably do a Silva>Ayew & Vardy>Gomis switch. Any thoughts folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Both players playing for Swansea, I would avoid a double up on non top 6 sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Wildcard active after a few poor weeks:

kggUTHB.jpg

Any ideas on how to improve above first draft?

Id prefer an arsenal mid over mata. I think mata is under threat for his place with the martial signing. I think mata potentially is the best utd option and very well priced however I just think lvg isn't convinced by him.

what are we thinking about de gea......?

km79 wrote: »
    what are we thinking about de gea......?

I'll be going for him if when he gets his place back.

I'll be going for him if when he gets his place back.

hopefully we will know friday

• Advertisement
Advertisement