Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

ElTel wrote: »
    With that front 8 your only going to play 3 at the back.
    So I think you have overspent on defence.
    Should consider a 4.0M or 3.9M guy as your 5th defender and 4.5M or 4.4M for your 4th defender.

Ah I could see there being plenty of weeks where you'd bench Redmond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

@Omeceron and CFS
    Redmond and 2 def. as a triplet is way out of my league.
    New to boards and maybe a bit full on (on the WC thread perhaps)
    Can we ask the WCs to include a few sentences re. their formation and plans in the WC header?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

OK, I've just hit the wildcard button on a whim, hated the look of my team for next week, feel like I need to fix it now as Sterling had me pulling my hair out earlier, I'm not happy with my defence, have Bentaleb my fifth mid, and Defoe has probably played his last game for me.
    So who look like potential .2 risers this week if any?
    If Martial scores tomorrow he could be a bandwagon, Payet will probably get two rises, any more??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

OK, I've just hit the wildcard button on a whim, hated the look of my team for next week, feel like I need to fix it now as Sterling had me pulling my hair out earlier, I'm not happy with my defence, have Bentaleb my fifth mid, and Defoe has probably played his last game for me.
    If Martial scores tomorrow he could be a bandwagon, Payet will probably get two rises, any more??

Ighalo maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I've activated as well, we're wildcard buddies :cool:. Payet and Ighalo should double rise, I might want them both in my team. I've put Cresswell in since he's supposed to go up tonight; highly doubt he gets the second one but might as well risk it. I also put Zouma in just to chance a Dier-esque bandwagon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Will you be going with De Bruyne as your City midfield cover?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Will you be going with De Bruyne as your City midfield cover?

After watching yesterday's game I could well run with Yaya for a while, but it is more likely that I will go with DeBruyne. Nothing decided, I was impressed with KDB yesterday but he can be much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Horrible gameweek, 14 points with only Kane and Targett to play today. It didn't help that I had Janmaat benched.

Thinking of going with this, any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Aenaes wrote: »
    Horrible gameweek, 14 points with only Kane and Targett to play today. It didn't help that I had Janmaat benched.

Thinking of going with this, any thoughts?

You have no arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea coverage??

There seems to be a lot of faith in bentekke around here, despite doing nothing great this season (yes he scored a worldie, but he didn't do much else in that match).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

41 with Cedric and Tadic to play. Risk failed on Kolorov captain. Ah well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Ace2007 wrote: »
    You have no arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea coverage??

There seems to be a lot of faith in bentekke around here, despite doing nothing great this season (yes he scored a worldie, but he didn't do much else in that match).

Agree re Benteke. Although these 2 fixtures are very scary to be without him, the reason I'm toughing it out is cause i wouldn't want him for the run thereafter.

I have no Man U or Chelsea and only 1 Arsenal btw! But with Newcastle and good fixtures to follow i agree that Chelsea attack needs to be considered from now on. If i was wildcarding I'd be sorely tempted by a risk on Zouma too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

FHFC wrote: »
    Agree re Benteke. Although these 2 fixtures are very scary to be without him, the reason I'm toughing it out is cause i wouldn't want him for the run thereafter.

I have no Man U or Chelsea and only 1 Arsenal btw! But with Newcastle and good fixtures to follow i agree that Chelsea attack needs to be considered from now on. If i was wildcarding I'd be sorely tempted by a risk on Zouma too.

Problem with Zouma though is he's likely to see game time every week that chelsea are winning - in that he could come on with 10 mins to go if he doesn't start.

Wilson or Ighalo? Have to put Martial in now to get double rise and I bought Aguero at 13.1m so can't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Wilson or Ighalo? Have to put Martial in now to get double rise and I bought Aguero at 13.1m so can't sell.

Wilson will probably get another rise this week and I think he is the better option in the medium term. If it were me i'd cut Ighalo loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

I have Wilson. I think that really is a 50-50 decision. They are both in form and have decent fixtures. Ighalo may get a double rise, but I think Wilson just edges it long term

I have a rough idea of my wildcard team:

Myhill, McCarthy
    Evans, Cawson, Kolarov, Francis
    Yaya, Payet, Mahrez
    Ighalo, Aguero

Other leading contenders for the remaining positions are Bellerin/Azpi, Barkley/Pedro/Haz, Drinkwater, and Wilson.

That would leave me with a massive 8.2m in the bank though :eek:. I don't know if I should upgrade Drinkwater, I just absolutely hate playing with a strong front 8 and know it will be tough to readjust things back when the big hitters find form

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Myhill, McCarthy
    Yaya, Payet, Mahrez
    Ighalo, Aguero

Other leading contenders for the remaining positions are Bellerin/Azpi, Barkley/Pedro/Haz, Drinkwater, and Wilson.

That would leave me with a massive 8.2m in the bank though :eek:. I don't know if I should upgrade Drinkwater, I just absolutely hate playing with a strong front 8 and know it will be tough to readjust things back when the big hitters find form

I have a strong front 8. Just dont beat yourself up over points on your bench. I benched vardy this week however I see it as a good sign it shows I own a player that should be of use to me. I wouldnt go with a strong front 8 in normal circumstances but am entirely comfortable with it at the moment. If need be its a 4 pt hit to sort it. When you have a few cheap bottom half of the table attacking players in your team the budget stretches so I want to be flexible in that I dont have to play all of them every week. Which you do when you have 4.5 bench fodder. It covers you for short term injuries and players getting rotated with the CL in full swing now.

I have a strong front 8. Just dont beat yourself up over points on your bench. I benched vardy this week however I see it as a good sign it shows I own a player that should be of use to me. I wouldnt go with a strong front 8 in normal circumstances but am entirely comfortable with it at the moment. If need be its a 4 pt hit to sort it. When you have a few cheap bottom half of the table attacking players in your team the budget stretches so I want to be flexible in that I dont have to play all of them every week. Which you do when you have 4.5 bench fodder. It covers you for short term injuries and players getting rotated with the CL in full swing now.

If I keep Ighalo, I think I might go to strong front 8. He's 5.0m so only 0.5m more than I would spend on 4.5m bench fodder. I suppose it's better to have players scoring well in your team (even on bench) than not having them in your team and having to use a FT. It also would have come in handy this GW with the Silva warmup injury

If I keep Ighalo, I think I might go to strong front 8. He's 5.0m so only 0.5m more than I would spend on 4.5m bench fodder. I suppose it's better to have players scoring well in your team (even on bench) than not having them in your team and having to use a FT. It also would have come in handy this GW with the Silva warmup injury

exactly id pedro this week was happy to hold as if he didnt make it id have vardy play. You can get frustrated by benched points but chances are you wouldnt even own the benched player if you had the typical 4.5 mid player.

Myhill, McCarthy
    Yaya, Payet, Mahrez
    Ighalo, Aguero

With that much money banked I really like it.
    Bego in for McCarthy?
    Only Wilson as striker option?
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

Myhill, McCarthy
    Yaya, Payet, Mahrez
    Ighalo, Aguero

I think triple WBA defence is a bit too much. Can you realistically ever see yourself playing the three of them and imagine the heartache if they concede? There are loads of decent defensive options for around 5.0-5.5 - Winston Reid, Naughton, Bertrand.

I have my eye on Bertrand personally. A good attacking player who got bonus last season and who is playing for a team who keep CSs more importantly.

My own opinion is that Drinkwater or such a player is the way to go in midfield. I'm a 3-4-3, fifth cheap midfielder man myself.

If you're not going with Martial, I'd go with Mata in midfield I said a few weeks back he looked United's best attacking threat and he's been proving it since.

I think triple WBA defence is a bit too much. Can you realistically ever see yourself playing the three of them and imagine the heartache if they concede? There are loads of decent defensive options for around 5.0-5.5 - Winston Reid, Naughton, Bertrand.

I have my eye on Bertrand personally. A good attacking player who got bonus last season and who is playing for a team who keep CSs more importantly.

My own opinion is that Drinkwater or such a player is the way to go in midfield. I'm a 3-4-3, fifth cheap midfielder man myself.

If you're not going with Martial, I'd go with Mata in midfield I said a few weeks back he looked United's best attacking threat and he's been proving it since.

Im also very keen on mata I think if he keeps his place he is the best option for Utd

With that much money banked I really like it.
    Bego in for McCarthy?
    Only Wilson as striker option?
    Good luck.

As of now, Wilson seems the obvious one. I've overlooked him to this point (somewhat to my detriment) and don't seem many options jumping out at me. Martial I'm not convinced on, Sakho has actually been pretty good but I'm not sure I want to double on West Ham, Pelle has great home form and fixtures but I don't think I've forgiven him for last season, I like Vardy just not convinced he's best option, Gomis is trending down and doesn't get bonus.

Triple WBA might be a bit of an overreaction to not owning a Pulis defender since the Palace days. I'd play all three against Sunderland, maybe Norwich+Leicester. Francis also covers their tough fixtures pretty well. To be honest, the treble up would be more so I still have two when Foster returns and they aren't very expensive.

As of now, Wilson seems the obvious one. I've overlooked him to this point (somewhat to my detriment) and don't seem many options jumping out at me. Martial I'm not convinced on, Sakho has actually been pretty good but I'm not sure I want to double on West Ham, Pelle has great home form and fixtures but I don't think I've forgiven him for last season, I like Vardy just not convinced he's best option, Gomis is trending down and doesn't get bonus.

Triple WBA might be a bit of an overreaction to not owning a Pulis defender since the Palace days. I'd play all three against Sunderland, maybe Norwich+Leicester. Francis also covers their tough fixtures pretty well. To be honest, the treble up would be more so I still have two when Foster returns and they aren't very expensive.

I just feel it's a lot of eggs in one basket in one area of the pitch. Stranger things have happened than a game being postponed for example. It's far fetched but it can happen.

I just feel it's a lot of eggs in one basket in one area of the pitch. Stranger things have happened than a game being postponed for example. It's far fetched but it can happen.

Yeah, I could cover that with McCarthy (assuming he keeps place off his good displays) and my three other playing defenders. I'll definitely be at least doubling up on Myhill and Cawson/Evans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Pulled the trigger on mine, too many red arrows.

Any thoughts? Wanted to get the Martial rises, he mightn't make it to Saturday. Not 100% on De Bruyne either, could be anybody in there really with a bit of persuasion. £1.5m in the bank.

team%202_zpslrytmue8.jpg

podge018 wrote: »

Any thoughts? Wanted to get the Martial rises, he mightn't make it to Saturday. Not 100% on De Bruyne either, could be anybody in there really with a bit of persuasion. £1.5m in the bank.

I wouldn't be keeping Coutinho on a wild card, he's a pretty muck FPL asset. I'd also get rid of Targett on Saturday morning (he might get rise to 4.2m), he's about to lose his place to Berty. Darmian I wouldn't keep on a WC, I'd rather Bellerin or a double up WBA. I'd prefer Payet and Gomis to Sakho and Ayew, but it's preference based. Sakho's done pretty well and has good stats; I'm not sure what will happen if he's found guilty in the October court case.

5R21F5a.png

I'm pretty set on this team besides Mata. Could be Drinkwater or if I go strong front 8 either a Chelsea mid or Sako

@Ziegler1988
    So you are not considering any Arsenal in attack or Chelsea defence?
    Would like to know your thought process as you continue on into the week.
    Have been following the thread and am interested to see what formation wins out
    Why no Begovic or Zouma say?
    Who would you consider from Arsenal attack?

• Advertisement

@Ziegler1988
    So you are not considering any Arsenal in attack or Chelsea defence?
    Would like to know your thought process as you continue on into the week.
    Have been following the thread and am interested to see what formation wins out
    Why no Begovic or Zouma say?
    Who would you consider from Arsenal attack?

If I went Chelsea defence it would be Azpi over Bellerin. Maybe my Arsenal bias peeking through, but I think we've been more solid defensively than Chelsea and Bellerin is almost Kolarov-esque in terms of attacking.

Arsenal attack, I'm not interested in until we start firing. I have almost no interest in Sanchez at 11m, I would go for Ozil or Cazorla. The problem with the latter two is that they lack goal threat and I already have Payet who is mostly going to be a tick over with assists player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Playing my WC this week too:

Begovic McCarthy

Zouma Kolorav Evans Cameron Targett

De Bruyne Sanchez Mahrez Payet Anya

Martial Aguero Wilson

Gone with Martial for the rises and for captaincy this weekend. Plan is to swap him for Bojan and upgrade Payet to Hazard over the next 2 weeks.

Currently 2.3 millionth having finished 7000 last year and in top 15/20k in five other years. Hopefully this is a turning point as being this low is not good for my mental health!!

Playing my WC this week too:

Begovic McCarthy

Zouma Kolorav Evans Cameron Targett

De Bruyne Sanchez Mahrez Payet Anya

Martial Aguero Wilson

Gone with Martial for the rises and for captaincy this weekend. Plan is to swap him for Bojan and upgrade Payet to Hazard over the next 2 weeks.

Currently 2.3 millionth having finished 7000 last year and in top 15/20k in five other years. Hopefully this is a turning point as being this low is not good for my mental health!!

Cameron isn't a guaranteed starter and Stoke don't keep many cleanies anyway. I'd rather Francis or Nyom at 4.5m. I also wouldn't pick Anya, he's due for a drop. Westwood or Drinkwater at 4.5m; Fletcher or Whelan at 4.4m are better.

Cameron isn't a guaranteed starter and Stoke don't keep many cleanies anyway. I'd rather Francis or Nyom at 4.5m. I also wouldn't pick Anya, he's due for a drop. Westwood or Drinkwater at 4.5m; Fletcher or Whelan at 4.4m are better.

Why is Anya due the drop? Watford are winning.. saw him hugging the manager after Newcastle game and thought things seemed rosy :)

What sort of player is Drinkwater? I'd rather a winger that might play than a DM I think..

Cameron has played 90 mins in every game though I do admit Stoke defence is a bit of a selection minefield. But traditionally they keep Cleanies and they have good fixtures coming up. Have 0.4, if I get a rise I can swap Targett for Nyom maybe.

Why is Anya due the drop? Watford are winning.. saw him hugging the manager after Newcastle game and thought things seemed rosy :)

What sort of player is Drinkwater? I'd rather a winger that might play than a DM I think..

Cameron has played 90 mins in every game though I do admit Stoke defence is a bit of a selection minefield. But traditionally they keep Cleanies and they have good fixtures coming up. Have 0.4, if I get a rise I can swap Targett for Nyom maybe.

Anya is on -90.4% at FPLStats. He's also playing reverse OOP at left back

Drinkwater is a centre mid, two assists in last two matches and played every minute thus far

Anya is on -90.4% at FPLStats. He's also playing reverse OOP at left back

Drinkwater is a centre mid, two assists in last two matches and played every minute thus far

Ooooh I thought you meant to be dropped from the Watford starting 11. Thats good to know already lost 0.1 by lazily picking Wanyama as 5th mid this year.

• Advertisement

podge018 wrote: »

What about a spurs defender instead of Darmian?
    Ben Davies seems to be keeping Rose out of the side,
    Dier and Alderweireld would also save you some cash too.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

De gea. Ruddy
    Bellerin Evans Kolorov Bertrand Schullp
    Memphis Puncheon Payet Maherz Ayew
    Wilson Aguero Martial

Current team, wildcard played 1.2 in bank

Any comments or thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Any reason for Schlupp?

I had Morgan since the start until I WC'ed this week. He constantly just scored 1 and 2 points and Schlupp seems the same apart from week 1 where he got an assist and scored 3 points.

Leicester haven't kept a clean sheet yet and Schlupp already has 3 yellow cards which is joint highest along with seven other players.

Aenaes wrote: »
    Any reason for Schlupp?

I had Morgan since the start until I WC'ed this week. He constantly just scored 1 and 2 points and Schlupp seems the same apart from week 1 where he got an assist and scored 3 points.

Leicester haven't kept a clean sheet yet and Schlupp already has 3 yellow cards which is joint highest along with seven other players.
    Just that he plays on the wing a lot and that he might pick up assists, I thought Schullp had better points tho

MrMac84 wrote: »
    De gea. Ruddy
    Wilson Aguero Martial

Some of your picks (Schlup and Ruddy) are in danger of a price drop.
    Bellerin Kolarov Evans and Bertrand is a strong 4 so I would look for a cheaper 5th defender (maybe even someone who has dropped in value)
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

can't decide on defenders to replace Darmian and Targett.

Currently on:

Martin
    Kolarov
    Azpilicueta
    Targett
    Darmian

Myhill in goal so have WB cover but thinking De Gea and Evans maybe?
    What bout my budget filler then, is Souaré a good shout, seen his name about a lot but don't know much about him tbh.

Bellerin Kolarov Evans and Bertrand is a strong 4 so I would look for a cheaper 5th defender (maybe even someone who has dropped in value)
    Best of luck.
    Best of luck.

What keeper would you swap ruddy for?

I'm rethinking Schullp maybe
    Davies Spurs 4.5 (bad fixtures coming up)
    Olsson wba 4.5 ( not a def starter any more?)
    Souare plaace 4.5
    Nyom wat ford 4.5

De gea. Ruddy
    Wilson Aguero Martial

I'd go myhill lindergaard for gks. Foster is out till Xmas. Wba have kept a clean sheet in 58 % of the games pulis has been in charge of them. It's a remarkable statistic that no other team can get near. Even this year only Chelsea and city have scored against them. There is no problem with doubling up on Wba defence. I think your team is focused too much on this week you have 3 utd players great fixture this week but over the next 6 probably the most difficult fixtures. You have 2 utd attackers 1 city and no arsenal or Chelsea. I think you need to get in sanchez Pedro or hazard. If a big hitter starts firing with your current set up you are looking at a 4 pt hit to get them in.

I'm on a wildcard but kinda forgot to think about the team I'll finish up with, just been watching price rises for the week.
    I've a feeling I'll probably stick with a lot of players who are on an upward curve and try to get a bit of value. Most seem to be well priced for what they offer(Payet, Ighalo). I suppose that it would be crazy not to run with Martial for this week but I'm not fully convinced and as has been discussed to death his fixtures after Saturday are tough to say the least. Defence is the area that I will need to look at most carefully.

Looks like my last few WC decisions will come down to:
    1. Other GK besides Myhill. I wasn't expecting the Foster news, so can either risk it with McCarthy who will probably be dropped soon or get a good starter. I'm leaning towards latter with Howard since I plan to save second WC until at least March and Everton have good rotation with WBA

2. Yaya or KDB. Still very unsure on this one

3. Mata or Pedro. Mata would be more of a cover myself against Sunderland and then be able to easily bench him next three matches with my strong front 8. I think I'll end up with Pedro just because I rate him more as a FPL asset

4. Dropping one of Wilson, Ighalo, and Martial. Probably just going to dump Martial and accept the risks

1. Other GK besides Myhill. I wasn't expecting the Foster news, so can either risk it with McCarthy who will probably be dropped soon or get a good starter. I'm leaning towards latter with Howard since I plan to save second WC until at least March and Everton have good rotation with WBA

3. Mata or Pedro. Mata would be more of a cover myself against Sunderland and then be able to easily bench him next three matches with my strong front 8. I think I'll end up with Pedro just because I rate him more as a FPL asset

4. Dropping one of Wilson, Ighalo, and Martial. Probably just going to dump Martial and accept the risks

What foster news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

1. Foster news was good news, no? I can't see Myhill being dropped too easily after December. He has been great and Foster ins't exactly one of the best.

2. KDB for me. I have Yaya and planning to upgrade to KDB.

3. Depends on 4. If you're going without Martial then I would keep Mata... but

4. I would keep Martial in WC. If he scores he'll rise another 0.3. He is also highly owned and captained so he's almost a must have for this Sunderland game. If he blanks and you want rid, then you should be ok to use your FT to do so (i.e the rest of your team should be in good shape post WC)

What foster news?

Out until at least December after suffering setback

Do people expect Ighalo to keep it up? Poor scoring record before Watford. 12 goals in 74 games in La Liga for example.

Do people expect Ighalo to keep it up? Poor scoring record before Watford. 12 goals in 74 games in La Liga for example.

20 goals in 24 league matches in 2015. He's 5.1m and I'm going strong front 8

• Advertisement
Advertisement