Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Well this escalated quickly!

I think its a balancing act. Trying get the short term boost of a WC together with building a team that will last until the next WC.

If I don't go with pelle or lukaku or bony, I will be very worried about how they do this week. But I'm also not convinced they are the best long term options. Busy morning ahead!
    I think Bony is the obvious one to leave out in your wildcard if you don't already have him. Lukaku has the fixtures to pay you back for a few weeks and at least with Pelle you don't have to transfer him out in a few weeks for sure. If I was wildcarding I would definitely have Lukaku though. This week, probably together with Kane and Vardy (but maybe Pelle this week if I didn't already have money built up on Vardy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Final quick question:

Supposing I had decided to not go for Pelle or Lukuku, would switching Ozil and Mahrez to Mane and Barkley be a good idea? Would give me SOU and EVE coverage, instead of double Arsenal and Leicester attacking players?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Final quick question:

Supposing I had decided to not go for Pelle or Lukuku, would switching Ozil and Mahrez to Mane and Barkley be a good idea? Would give me SOU and EVE coverage, instead of double Arsenal and Leicester attacking players?

Too many good mids I wouldn't use a midfield spot on barkley. He has been better this season but still a lot to prove as an ff player imo.

Too many good mids I wouldn't use a midfield spot on barkley. He has been better this season but still a lot to prove as an ff player imo.

Cheers. I went with Barkley in the end. Little bit of a last minute punt admittedly. A last minute decision, ideally would have had a bit more time to think about so am a bit nervous about it now. But hopefully he will at least partially cover any points that Lukaku scores. He can be rotated with Ighalo in strong front 8 if not performing. And he can be downgraded to a cheapie to allow Aguero to come back in in a few weeks.

Cheers. I went with Barkley in the end. Little bit of a last minute punt admittedly. A last minute decision, ideally would have had a bit more time to think about so am a bit nervous about it now. But hopefully he will at least partially cover any points that Lukaku scores. He can be rotated with Ighalo in strong front 8 if not performing. And he can be downgraded to a cheapie to allow Aguero to come back in in a few weeks.

Best of luck with it he Could be useful as part of a strong front 8 alright.

Best of luck with it he Could be useful as part of a strong front 8 alright.

The instant regret has firmly set in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CSF wrote: »
    I was saying 4 because I think Kane is the alternative obvious choice. I would put any money with you that Bony, Pelle, Lukaku will out score Vardy, Ighalo, Giroud. Obviously I don't spend my life gambling with everyone I disagree with on the internet though so consider that bet a mere hypothetical to illustrate how strongly I feel about my point ;)

Just for pig iron said I'd dig this up 26 from Vardy Giroud and Ighalo

Bony - 2
    Pelle
    Lukaku

Hopefully they both have quiet days and I look like I know what I'm talking about

You'd think that having played this game for a few years I'd know not to log on 15 mins before a deadline and make some snap decisions.

Transferring out Ozil and Mahrez for Mane and Barkley? It sounds so stupid now...

Of course Mane and Barkley havent played yet, so won't know the damage until this evening, but can't help but feel that that's a season ending piece of stupidity there.

26 points after wildcarding. Sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

You'd think that having played this game for a few years I'd know not to log on 15 mins before a deadline and make some snap decisions.

Transferring out Ozil and Mahrez for Mane and Barkley? It sounds so stupid now...

Of course Mane and Barkley havent played yet, so won't know the damage until this evening, but can't help but feel that that's a season ending piece of stupidity there.

26 points after wildcarding. Sick.

I got a red arrow after my WC and then three greens since. It's too early to tell if your WC was good or not

• Advertisement

I got a red arrow after my WC and then three greens since. It's too early to tell if your WC was good or not

Yeah deep down I realise that, and actually that happen with my first WC last year.

But I can't help have a LOT of regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Yeah deep down I realise that, and actually that happen with my first WC last year.

But I can't help have a LOT of regret.

Thats a tough one, but long term mane and barkley are both v good players with an immediate excellent run of games.

Judge your decision over the next 5 and not just this w/e.

Colking wrote: »
    Thats a tough one, but long term mane and barkley are both v good players with an immediate excellent run of games.

If Kone keeps his place (which looks likely), then Barkley won't be more than Ozil-lite. I may dump this week or just keep him as bench fodder until Aguero comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

If Kone keeps his place (which looks likely), then Barkley won't be more than Ozil-lite. I may dump this week or just keep him as bench fodder until Aguero comes back

I didn't get to see the game, did Barkley make any forays forward at all ?

Yeah was thinking yesterday it was salvageable if Mane/Barkley got some returns today, but their lack of return has pretty much put a nail in this seasons coffin. Top 10k is definitely gone, but will keep playing in the log-in-on-a-friday-and-make-one-transfer and see how that goes! New aim is top 100k.

I'm just frustrated with my own decision making. I finished at 5k last year by just making sensible safe decisions all season. When this season wasn't going as plan I rolled the dice with the WC as it's back fired spectacularly. I should know not to take risks with highly owned players such as Mahrez. Its should be on other lesser owned players.

Oh well.

Edit: actually, to keep my interest, I could just cut loose, swing from the hip and take -8s and -12s for the rest of the year and see where that gets me! A series of Mr. P style punts! Right, I'm off to transfer PVA in for next week and the Triple Captain on him!

I think i'll be just cutting my losses (both points and financial) and getting Mahrez back in for Barkley.

• Advertisement

I didn't get to see the game, did Barkley make any forays forward at all ?

Not really. Came quite deep and assisted the assist twice. He had one good shot and maybe could have had another if Lukaku laid it off better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Some thoughts on this - My team is full of injuries and the defence is weak.

Butland, Hennessey,
    Nyom, Cook, Hangeland, Galloway, Saylor
    Ozil, Hazard, Mahrez, Countinho, Stanislas
    Aguero, Kane, Lukaku,

I used the FT for Sanchez to Hazard.

I'm thinking of sorting it all out and going with the following:

Mignolet, Hennessey,
    McNair, Zouma, Moreno, Ake, Simpson,
    Ozil, Hazard, KDB, Deulofeu, Stanislas
    Giroud, Kane and Lukaku.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Some thoughts on this - My team is full of injuries and the defence is weak.

Butland, Hennessey,
    Nyom, Cook, Hangeland, Galloway, Saylor
    Ozil, Hazard, Mahrez, Countinho, Stanislas
    Aguero, Kane, Lukaku,

I used the FT for Sanchez to Hazard.

I'm thinking of sorting it all out and going with the following:

Mignolet, Hennessey,
    McNair, Zouma, Moreno, Ake, Simpson,
    Giroud, Kane and Lukaku.

Thoughts?

What does it leave you itb?
    AOA chip an option? Would give you another week to look at Liverpool perhaps.
    I feel McNair is a bit punty-would consider a Spurs defender.
    Barkley a safer starter than Del but am assuming you've weighed that up.
    Regarding Stanislas, have a look at FHFCs observations in the player watchlist thread (some other good 5th mid suggestions there too I think) although he does appeal to me also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ElTel wrote: »
    What does it leave you itb?
    AOA chip an option? Would give you another week to look at Liverpool perhaps.
    I feel McNair is a bit punty-would consider a Spurs defender.
    Barkley a safer starter than Del but am assuming you've weighed that up.
    Regarding Stanislas, have a look at FHFCs observations in the player watchlist thread (some other good 5th mid suggestions there too I think) although he does appeal to me also.

Have ended up with

Courtois, Hennessey,
    McNair, Zouma, Walker, Bennett, Simpson,
    Giroud, Kane and Lukaku.

I used my AOA chips few weeks back, when i took a punt on Coutinho.

Given united defensive injuries, McNair is likely to start and fixtures aren't bad.

Deulofeu has produced more regularly though - like over last 5 games he's given a decent return, whereas Barkely has had 2 great weeks. (kinda similar to Sanchez/Ozil - one had a burst of form, the other is constantly consistent)

Stanislas is rarely going to start for me, but at 4.2 you won't find better value.

I'm at a wedding tomorrow so probably won't see much football. Most of the lads going to wedding wouldn't be big into football either, ha.

Moreno instead of Bennett/Simpson and I'll leave it at that.
    Good luck and enjoy the wedding Ace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

are there any double game weeks coming up and when are they?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Henwin wrote: »
    are there any double game weeks coming up and when are they?

None scheduled, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I'm giving serious consideration to a gw 20 wildcard. Going to look at some data from past seasons about dgws tomorrow.
    FHFC wrote: »
    After today I'm not ruling it out. Gw22 or 23 maybe.

Quoted from the GW17 MatchDay thread.

To be honest I have to say I have no idea what's the best timing for the second WC this year. I did strongly support an ideal late scenario based on last year happenings (and kinda still do, especially with 4 PL teams still left in the League Cup semis) but opposite projections could work out as well as my own fantasies ...

I'd just state the obvious and say not to rush such big decisions based on a couple of frustrating GWs.

Also beware that there could be new signings in January and an early January WC could put you in more troubles. And about the GW20 WC, will we know for sure the starting line-ups? It could be a case of a 1 week premature WC if strong rotations occur.

Finally, what kind of stats you're searching for about DGWs Busts? I can have a look at mine tomorrow if it somehow helps. I used to keep my 1st WC for late DGWs. Then I adopted the early GW3-4 WC. The latter option suited me slightly better. But this year I/we can actually combine both approaches...

The big question being: how many hits you'd need to build your January WC team? And won't you make more pts up from a late WC planned for a DGW and maybe also for the BB chip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

When's the first DGW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrMac84 wrote: »
    When's the first DGW?

I think it was GW31 last year. So that'd be a decent marker for this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the wildcard could actually be very effective in GW30.
    that is currently scheduled for a full set of league games, and the FA Cup quarter finals.

so if there's only four or five games that week, a WC would be useful to ensure having a starting 11 (or as close as possible)

MrMac84 wrote: »
    When's the first DGW?

Speculaion that it might be GW25 for the League Cup finalists this season since there are more midweek fixtures

Speculaion that it might be GW25 for the League Cup finalists this season since there are more midweek fixtures

Looks like it will have to be.
    Gw 27 League games and carling cup
    Gw 28 midweek fixtures
    Gw 29 midweek CL games
    Gw 30 League games and Fa cup qfinal Midweek Cl games
    Gw 31 followed by international break
    Gw 32 Midweek Cl games
    Gw 33 Midweek Cl games
    Gw 34 will be a dgw
    Gw 35 league games and fa cup SF midweek Cl games
    Gw 36 midweek cl games
    Gw 37 will be a dgw
    Gw 38

Going on past years midweek cl games cant clash with pl games. So after gw 27 there is only gw 34 and 37 that is possible for DGW's. Based on 2013/2014 when fa cup qf clashed with league games. We should see a maximum of 12 teams having games in Gw 30. This should result with a minimum of 8 teams having a dgw in gw 34. Gw 35 will also see a few teams have a blank with them then having a dgw in 37.
    I reckon most people will play the wildcard gw 33 and bench boost gw 34 and then TC gw 37. Im thinking that due to the fact gw 34 should be a big dgw it will be fairly easy to get atleast 11 players with a dgw without the wildcard.
    Im thinking of playing my wildcard in Jan its not going to make much of a difference your looking at the odd person having played a gw 33 wildcard and stocking up with 15 dgw players and playing BB in gw 34. Will that be the best strategy when you consider who they will have to take out to have 15 dgw players. There is also going to be 4 gws left and chances are an imbalanced squad for those games.
    If sanchez and aguero prove themselves over the next couple of games. I plan to rejig my squad and get them in by wildcarding.

Only trouble with DGW25 is that there will only be a fortnight to schedule the matches and it would be the same midweek as potential FA Cup replays. They could also end up playing it on an FA Cup weekend if sides are already out or just hope that a scenario doesn't it present itself where the League Cup finalist also makes it to the semifinals of the FA Cup (otherwise we'd have to see the rare treble gameweek).
    I still plan to hold my second WC until March, I think it's the best way to set my team up for the DGWs and a bench boost (either WC before or WC after a DGW to fix)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Im thinking of playing my wildcard in Jan its not going to make much of a difference your looking at the odd person having played a gw 33 wildcard and stocking up with 15 dgw players and playing BB in gw 34. Will that be the best strategy when you consider who they will have to take out to have 15 dgw players. There is also going to be 4 gws left and chances are an imbalanced squad for those games.
    If sanchez and aguero prove themselves over the next couple of games. I plan to rejig my squad and get them in by wildcarding.

I'm still not ruling out this idea, but I'm more inclined to hold the WC for the DGWs and use hits now to sort team/get in Aguero and Sanchez. Its risk and reward, you could probably hope to gain more than 12 points by having your "perfect" DGW team with no hits, so is it therefore worth taking say 3 hits now or in Jan to sort your team out and save the WC.

I can get Aguero in for next week with a -4, and would be able to get Sanchez in the week after for another hit. Given Aguero's and Sanchez's fixtures those 2 weeks I may well do that depending on what (if anything) they do tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

FHFC wrote: »
    I'm still not ruling out this idea, but I'm more inclined to hold the WC for the DGWs and use hits now to sort team/get in Aguero and Sanchez. Its risk and reward, you could probably hope to gain more than 12 points by having your "perfect" DGW team with no hits, so is it therefore worth taking say 3 hits now or in Jan to sort your team out and save the WC.

I can get Aguero in for next week with a -4, and would be able to get Sanchez in the week after for another hit. Given Aguero's and Sanchez's fixtures those 2 weeks I may well do that depending on what (if anything) they do tonight.

If there's a late DGW then I'm thinking about saving my WC for the week before and bringing in 15 DGW'ers!!! :)

It would have to be late in the season but I can't see much use for it in Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think it's a case of wait and see how many game postponements the FA Cup 1/4 final draw throws up, and how their re-allocation is split before doing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just to confirm can I use my first WC after the Boxing day Fixtures? I know it has be done by 28th, I think

Was going use it now, but might wait as have no injuries I say this week.

Just to confirm can I use my first WC after the Boxing day Fixtures? I know it has be done by 28th, I think

Was going use it now, but might wait as have no injuries I say this week.

ye has to be used by gw19

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/transfers/

Well it has to be used but am generally happy with squad.
    Ake, Alli and Ramsey are the new additions. Sticking with Vardez and the 2 GK plan from NC is on the long finger with my current 2 doing well. Smith for Daniels would free up 0.5m and Francis is now 4.3m but with Bournemouth club captain due back soon I'm reluctant to change to another Bournemouth player. I am considering a real cheap alternative. Gabriel (burnt me bad already) or Reese Oxford worth a punt? Suggestions welcome.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/transfers/

Well it has to be used but am generally happy with squad.
    Ake, Alli and Ramsey are the new additions. Sticking with Vardez and the 2 GK plan from NC is on the long finger with my current 2 doing well. Smith for Daniels would free up 0.5m and Francis is now 4.3m but with Bournemouth club captain due back soon I'm reluctant to change to another Bournemouth player. I am considering a real cheap alternative. Gabriel (burnt me bad already) or Reese Oxford worth a punt? Suggestions welcome.

When I click that link my team is coming up. Be interested to see your team as I'm contemplating playing my wildcard in gw 20.

When I click that link my team is coming up. Be interested to see your team as I'm contemplating playing my wildcard in gw 20.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/1123939/event-history/18/

Williams, Coleman and Bolasie are gone and Bertrand is back in.
    2.4m itb.
    Useless with screen grabs and the like but hope that makes it clearer.

If I was WCing right now, I'd want something like

Butland Elliot/Henny
    Spurs Palace Wolly Watford Bournemouth/Swansea (not sure what rotations look like)
    Mahrez Ozil KDB Alli 5th mid up to you based on fodder/strong front 8 preference
    Kane Ighalo 3rd striker not sure

Sad that my defence is so far from that and I'm not WCing anytime soon

Save that WC for recovery after a big DGW.

• Advertisement

If I was WCing right now, I'd want something like

Butland Elliot/Henny
    Spurs Palace Wolly Watford Bournemouth/Swansea (not sure what rotations look like)
    Mahrez Ozil KDB Alli 5th mid up to you based on fodder/strong front 8 preference
    Kane Ighalo 3rd striker not sure

Sad that my defence is so far from that and I'm not WCing anytime soon

Which Bournemouth defender would you go for?. Have had Daniels all but the first few GWs and has got me some nice scores when he's had to count but saving money on my D is appealing.
    Ake Bertrand Toby Ward are the others. What about the punts I mentioned above?
    Not joining the party late wrt Kane and Ighalo. Vardy and Lukaku will do me fine hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

but saving money on my D is appealing.

Am I the only one who saw something dirty in this? :pac:

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who saw something dirty in this? :pac:

Where's the advice nuggets? And I'm still missing the funny.....

If I was wildcarding. I'd be looking at
    Hennessey elliot
    Dawson walker Simpson moreno wolly
    Kdb mahrez Ramsey Walcott stanislas
    Kane lukaku aguero

Hennessey elliot
    Kane lukaku aguero

If that team had Vardy instead of Kane and a touch of Watford..... What would that leave you in the bank?
    Covered yourself with 7 different teams covered at the back but I like to have a double up possibility.
    Vardy for Kane gives me play for Sanchez.
    A cheaper differential to Ali is a good call but he's getting the transfers in and in a short GW, for a guy I'm not starting I'll take it.

Which Bournemouth defender would you go for?. Have had Daniels all but the first few GWs and has got me some nice scores when he's had to count but saving money on my D is appealing.
    Ake Bertrand Toby Ward are the others. What about the punts I mentioned above?
    Not joining the party late wrt Kane and Ighalo. Vardy and Lukaku will do me fine hopefully.

Probably Daniels since he's more nailed than Smith and on pens(!), Francis was doing well in terms of chances created and BPS at RB but has been at CB for a good few weeks.
    Gabriel is a no go since he won't start and we aren't keeping many cleanies anyway, Oxford is basically a dead player for 3.7m but we don't need to free up budgets as of now

• Advertisement

If that team had Vardy instead of Kane and a touch of Watford..... What would that leave you in the bank?
    Covered yourself with 7 different teams covered at the back but I like to have a double up possibility.
    Vardy for Kane gives me play for Sanchez.
    A cheaper differential to Ali is a good call but he's getting the transfers in and in a short GW, for a guy I'm not starting I'll take it.
    With my team Id have .2 leftover if I did walcott to sanchez. I know most will think its crazy to be thinking of wildcarding next gw but I think there is a big opportunity to get ahead of the curve. Any other year people would be losing their minds about 2 4.0 keepers the injuries to aguero/sanchez has people not worried about money. I just checked there and they both have a better or the same PPG than DDG. They also have lovely fixtures bar a couple of gws for the rest of the season. Im really frustrated with my expensive defence(which I never usually go with) as I dont think ive ever had a worse run of c.s since I went with DDG/bellerin/kolorav. Im still of the belief that the bigger teams and in turn the bigger players will deliver better returns in the 2nd half of the season.

With my team Id have .2 leftover if I did walcott to sanchez. I know most will think its crazy to be thinking of wildcarding next gw but I think there is a big opportunity to get ahead of the curve. Any other year people would be losing their minds about 2 4.0 keepers the injuries to aguero/sanchez has people not worried about money. I just checked there and they both have a better or the same PPG than DDG. They also have lovely fixtures bar a couple of gws for the rest of the season. Im really frustrated with my expensive defence(which I never usually go with) as I dont think ive ever had a worse run of c.s since I went with DDG/bellerin/kolorav. Im still of the belief that the bigger teams and in turn the bigger players will deliver better returns in the 2nd half of the season.

I hear you but the expensive guys were getting the points in D and the cheap guys in attack for most of the season and the veterans article recently highlighted by FHFC? that there's hope for us old-timers who want our benchfodder back. The way the season has gone everyone is freaked with their D. Going cheaper looks good to me but I'd advise anyone to hold on a D transfer over this spell. I'm on WC and am still considering an Arsenal defender after a 4 nil defeat?
    What move did you make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hennessey elliot
    Kane lukaku aguero

I can't see a WC in that... in the sense that it's not far off template. Would a couple of hits not get you there?

Personally I think I'll be saving mine for the week before a DGW with bench boost in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

@eittel.

For what I've seen of your WC team, I'd just try and fit in a WB def since they have good fixtures coming.
    I may prefer Ighalo over Vardy (but need to make sure you can reverse the move if needs be) and Walcott over Ramsey.

Sakho is now in for Daniels as better short term cover I hope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement