Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Jesper wrote: »
    Good team. Very light in defense and goal.

Does the WC need to be used by the end of Jan?

Yeah, just noticed that. No real premium defender!! Will take another look at that.

And no, I believe it's changed this year, you can use it anytime by end of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Yeah, just noticed that. No real premium defender!! Will take another look at that.

And no, I believe it's changed this year, you can use it anytime by end of year.

In terms of keepers, a rotation of the new Sunderland keeper and Elliot from Newcastle would work. Pantilimon and Mannone don't seem to inspire confidence in Big Sam. So the new guy could keep his place despite the loss at the weekend. Cheap as chips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So was messing about trying to come up with an attacking team post WC.

4czHwLs.png

Its very light in defence, but attacking return might make up for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

keano_afc wrote: »
    So was messing about trying to come up with an attacking team post WC.

4czHwLs.png

Its very light in defence, but attacking return might make up for that?
    That's the strategy I went with on my wildcard spend big on attack. I'd suggest change alder Bennett and Jones to wolly williams and Evans. With the defence you only need to pick 3 from 5 each week between wolly williams Evans smith and Simpson you have all decent options and should have at least 2 good fixtures per week.
    Just checked the fixtures for the next 6 gws of those 5 there is only 1 week when you wouldn't be reasonably confident of the chances of all 3 of those defenders keeping a cs. There is a great app fpl wizard for doing defensive rotations.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

21l3801.png

Any tips for this wildcard team folks?

• Advertisement

21l3801.png

Any tips for this wildcard team folks?

Butland to elliot and Borthwick to wolly. Too risky going with both Borthwick and targett

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Butland to elliot and Borthwick to wolly. Too risky going with both Borthwick and targett

Could also consider Gomez out and Ake in. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Anyone considering using the wildcard soon?

Question, I did a -4 last night if i decide to wildcard tonight will that -4 be forgotton about? cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Anyone considering using the wildcard soon?

Question, I did a -4 last night if i decide to wildcard tonight will that -4 be forgotton about? cheers.

Yes, a wildcard wipes out any hits taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Played my wildcard 2 weeks ago & scored 75 & 59 in last 2 weeks.
    Up to 43K overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

very tempted to WC

375940.png

Hennessy
    Butland

Simpson
    Targett
    Van A
    Azp
    Daniels

Fab
    Alli
    Silva
    Payet
    Winnaldum/Siggy

Augero
    Kane
    Giroud

If I drop Butland fr Eliot I can keep KDB instead of Silva, think i might want both though Silva and Eliot anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Dropping ozil wijnaldum mahrez and giroud for Sanchez Silva Ayew I can do this.

Hennessy Bunn
    Targett Dier Steven Taylor johnson moreno
    Silva Sanchez Payet Ayew Firmino
    Aguero Kane Deeney

Should I hit confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Wijnaldum may have a DGW25. I would not ditch him now.

Otherwise you go for a 3-5-2? Nothing majorly wrong with your front 7.

But pretty weak at the back with Saylor not featuring and Targett the enigma (will he really keep his place?). Dier got subbed early last week-end too while Spurs were pushing for victory.

Finally if you only make 3-4 transfers I'm not sure the WC is needed now, especially since we're approaching the DGWs official timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

iroced wrote: »
    Wijnaldum may have a DGW25. I would not ditch him now.

Otherwise you go for a 3-5-2? Nothing majorly wrong with your front 7.

But pretty weak at the back with Saylor not featuring and Targett the enigma (will he really keep his place?). Dier got subbed early last week-end too while Spurs were pushing for victory.

Finally if you only make 3-4 transfers I'm not sure the WC is needed now, especially since we're approaching the DGWs official timing.

Damn I just hit transfer. I kept mahrez instead of ayew though and borthwick jackson for taylor. I already brought in firmino and dropped lukaku.

What 5.4m defender or less would be preferable to dier?

Deco99 wrote: »
    Damn I just hit transfer.
    You mean hit the WC button? Or just made your transfers?
    Deco99 wrote: »
    I kept mahrez instead of ayew though and borthwick jackson for taylor. I already brought in firmino and dropped lukaku.

What 5.4m defender or less would be preferable to dier?
    Beware though that Borthwick-Jackson is playing because there are 4 in jured defs at United (Jones, Rojo, Shaw & Valencia). Shaw is out for the season. Not sure how long Rojo & Valencia are out for. You may know better than me or ask a United fan.

For less than £5.4m. And from teams you have yet not covered. WBA's Dawson (£5.1m), another Saints def (Van Dijk (£5.4m), Bertrand & Fonte (£5.3m), Cédric (£4.8m)) if Targett gets dropped, Chelsea's Zouma (£4.8m) though I would not yet really consider Chelsea def, Swansea's Williams (£4.8m), Mr. Prodston's PVA (:p) (£4.7m) (Sunderland are crap but he's kind of their new centre forward :pac: - 4 goals in his last 4 PL games :eek) or a Leicester guy (Fuchs £4.8m or very cheap with Simpson £4.1m).

You may have already done it but if I were you I'd have a look at the next 6-8 fixtures and try to work out the best 3-way rotations at the back considering both the fixtures list and the players' current form (including their team current defensive form, e.g. Saints, Leicester, Palace, Swansea are on good def form).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Chelsea's Zouma (£4.8m) though I would not yet really consider Chelsea def, .

Rushed to double check Zouma's value, but he's at 5.4 :(
    4.8 would be a steal.

Have been thinking of Chelsea's defence and had pegged Courtois at 5.2 as my cheapest way in.
    Hart/Forster are both ahead of him in my thoughts long term though,
    so if Chelsea tighten up more Zouma or Azpil(5.7) are on my radar.

Cedric or Jonny Evans at 4.8 and Wollschied (4.5) or *(Wilson (4.4)/Muniesa (4.2)) would get my votes for sub 5.0 defenders.

*Muniesa started in League Cup Semi Tuesday, while Wilson came on for Shawcross last weekend. May need to use another transfer to get rid of either after when Shawcross is back.
    If interested in Stoke Defence, Wollschied (4.5) looks the safest way in long term, but Stoke seem to have been a different team without Shawcross earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just get in Charlie Daniels and captain him, problem solved. Every wildcard team should include him.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

Am I correct in thinking that I have to play the wildcard in January or I lose it? Or has that changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Taxedalot wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that I have to play the wildcard in January or I lose it? Or has that changed?

changed , can use it any time

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

ShaneU wrote: »
    changed , can use it any time

Good stuff, don't really need it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Would really appreciate any input into potential WC. Top screenshot is current team, second is potential WC. To be honest, I'm struggling to wrap my head around DGW and blank GW permutations so I'm not sure they're best represented. Part of my uncertainty is that it seems like a very sideways WC overhaul, and that maybe these changes could be done gradually. Any input appreciated.

cYuERry.png

UK7iVD4.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

At least Fosters flag got removed in between :)

You've transferred out 1 Spurs, Arsenal, City and Watford player for 1 Spurs, Arsenal, City and Leicester player... not a WC imo.

I would just do Toby to Dier and KDB to Sanchez and take the hit if it was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thanks - I think you're probably right but unfortunately your sound words came a little too late and I 'carded :o In addition to the above, I did Foster to Cech and Bellerin to Evans - keeping the same level of Arsenal/WBA coverage but a more secure one, I think. Myhill second choice and Foster a sick note, I think that could get frustrating.

To be honest, if I'd thought of your suggestion and realised that I could get Sanchez in for KDB with a -8 total, I think I would have taken the hit. As it is I've used the WC for what would have been a -24. Not the most profound use of a WC given the changes, but hopefully will serve me well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Could be finding my way in here this week....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Transfer used and Lukaku now injured.....hello world of wildcard I think

Butland, Myhill

Nyom, Alderweireld, Ward, Daniels, Bellerin

Mahrez, Silva, Payet, Alli, Ozil

Lukaku, Aguero, Ighalo

In red are the players I'm thinking of getting rid of

Butland -> Forster
    Myhill -> Elliot
    Nyom -> Sagna
    Payet -> 9.8m to spend
    Lukaku -> Kane

The defensive changes are meh but Lukaku to Kane has to be done and Payet isnt doing much. Thoughts?

Okay, another red arrow and now at 930k. Was actually pretty happy with my team, but a few injuries now so thinking about WC soon. Any thoughts on the below? Have 0.3m left over.

21458ck.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

Okay, another red arrow and now at 930k. Was actually pretty happy with my team, but a few injuries now so thinking about WC soon. Any thoughts on the below? Have 0.3m left.

hi, there will be plenty of wiser advisers around but I think that Silva is not a great buy.
    There are cheaper mids scoring better (firmino, alli, Erickson) or maybe stoke's arnautovic. All bar firmino play gw27; and arnautovic plays gw30 too. His fixtures are ok to good until gw33.
    You should have some spare cash too.

@ Dempsey & Sheroman

Don't know if you did pull the trigger but if I were you I'd not use my WC now. GW30 could be total chaos (it is possible only 3 games are played). DGW34 could then become the largest in history (:p). ANd GW35 could have huge blanks too. DGW37 could then be also a huge one. GW27 blank games could prove difficult to place if City, Liverpool & Everton continue their FA Cup run so a TGW37 or DGW37-DGW38 aren't completely excluded...

I think you could both take a 4 to 8 pts hit this week to accomodate some of your changes and save your WC for the chaos that we're gonna experience from GW30 to 38.

@ Dempsey. Can you do Lukaku -> Kane & Butland -> Forster ? If so, I'd do that this week and make the others later.

@ Sheroman. Without knowing who you're ditching it's tough to give a good advice. But to start it, I'd get wanyama as your 5th cheap mid. He's £4.2m too and has guaranteed games until the end and decent fixtures. So good chances of several 3 pts returns. In defense you "need" Saints cover too. Either Forster or one of Fonte/Bertrand/VVD. A cheap Leicester def could well do too (Simpson, Huth, Fuchs from cheaper to most expensive). Swansea's Williams is a good shout too. Only one potential blank too (GW30).
    Am not sure how nailed BJ is on. United fans should give you better returns.

@ Dempsey & Sheroman

Don't know if you did pull the trigger but if I were you I'd not use my WC now. GW30 could be total chaos (it is possible only 3 games are played). DGW34 could then become the largest in history (:p). ANd GW35 could have huge blanks too. DGW37 could then be also a huge one. GW27 blank games could prove difficult to place if City, Liverpool & Everton continue their FA Cup run so a TGW37 or DGW37-DGW38 aren't completely excluded...

I think you could both take a 4 to 8 pts hit this week to accomodate some of your changes and save your WC for the chaos that we're gonna experience from GW30 to 38.

@ Dempsey. Can you do Lukaku -> Kane & Butland -> Forster ? If so, I'd do that this week and make the others later.

@ Sheroman. Without knowing who you're ditching it's tough to give a good advice. But to start it, I'd get wanyama as your 5th cheap mid. He's £4.2m too and has guaranteed games until the end and decent fixtures. So good chances of several 3 pts returns. In defense you "need" Saints cover too. Either Forster or one of Fonte/Bertrand/VVD. A cheap Leicester def could well do too (Simpson, Huth, Fuchs from cheaper to most expensive). Swansea's Williams is a good shout too. Only one potential blank too (GW30).

Thanks a mill for feedback. Have put before and after below now. As you can see, injuries and non-starters a big problem.

Now, I'm probably (most likely!) not looking at the bigger picture, or looking at this logically, but is it not a case of any points missed on the blank GWs, I'll just make up on the DGW? I can see the benefit of captains choices and the chips alright for DGWs. But given the state of my current team, it's maybe 5/6 games I'd have to wait until playing WC, I fear I'd lose too much ground by then!

1zn5tsi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

@ Dempsey & Sheroman

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciate a 2nd opinion.

I ddint pull the trigger.

I did Lukaku to Kane

Didnt do a 4 point hit for Butland to Forster

I dont feel there is a clear cut better choices to use the WC and luckily for the reasons you outlined, I've kept it in the locker but I'm not looking to hold onto it till the end, I feel setting up the team for ~6 weeks is the most you can expect from a WC so by GW 32 I'm hoping to have it used and used well

...not sure how nailed BJ is on...

Story of my life :rolleyes:

Story of my life :rolleyes:

Haha. What have you left in the bank? Mert close to a drop.

Thanks a mill for feedback. Have put before and after below now. As you can see, injuries and non-starters a big problem.

Now, I'm probably (most likely!) not looking at the bigger picture, or looking at this logically, but is it not a case of any points missed on the blank GWs, I'll just make up on the DGW? I can see the benefit of captains choices and the chips alright for DGWs. But given the state of my current team, it's maybe 5/6 games I'd have to wait until playing WC, I fear I'd lose too much ground by then!

1zn5tsi.jpg

Just seeing your post now.

To keep your WC and avoid losing too much ground before using it and taking too many hits I think you could do:
    KDB -> Sanchez
    Lukaku -> Vardy
    Evans -> VVD
    this week. 8 pts hit max. But you'll be needing far more than an 8 pts hit to accomodate your team for GWs30-37 and take best advantage of DGW34.

Then you may get a Leicester def for Naughton (Simpson, Huth or Fuchs dependig how much you want to and/or can spend). Targett can stay for the time being. Until we know if Koeman will definitely move away from the 5 at the back formation.
    For GKs, I'd wait for the FA Cup quarters to be definite such that we know who's gonna blank GW30 and double GW34. We should know that before GW27 (hopefully no draws in the FA Cup 5th round).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Messing around with my wildcard this morning. I'm not playing it this week but any feed back on it be great.

Hennessy
    Forster

Cathcart
    Cedric
    Simpson
    Deleaney
    Dawson

Sanchez
    Mahrez
    Payet
    Alli
    Britton

Rooney
    Aguero
    Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Messing around with my wildcard this morning. I'm not playing it this week but any feed back on it be great.

Hennessy
    Forster

Cathcart
    Cedric
    Simpson
    Deleaney
    Dawson

Sanchez
    Mahrez
    Payet
    Alli
    Britton

Rooney
    Aguero
    Kane

Vardy has immense fixtures from gw 27 onwards and guaranteed to have no blanks. Could've had a couple today. I'd definitely get him in instead of Rooney. A Spurs defender would probably be smart, Palace can't keep a clean sheet and wouldn't be the biggest fan of having a Watford defender. :P Like the midfield and keepers. Kane and Aguero pick themselves. Not so sure about Payet longer term, WHU were crap today.

• Advertisement

Manone Gomes
    Kosc PVA Smalling Creswell ?
    Sanchez Payet Firmino Millner ?
    Lukaku Defoe Deeney/Ighalo

I thought I'd start up this thread again for us late WCers. I'm BBing in DGW37.
    This is still subject to change but getting down an outline of my thinking and a discussion going with fellow late WCers will benefit us all hopefully and avoid clogging up the transfer thread.
    So I've 2 Arsenal SGWers only in the 15. Lukaku and the Liverpool assets are the obvious concerns. My strategy is flexible I hope in that I'm not averse to a hit next week if Carrol or Rashford (say) become viable etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

I'm no late WCer but first thing I'd ask you is are you not afraid of going almost all in for it after what we've experienced in GW34?

Maybe consider some Chelsea players? problem is it's not that easy to pick them this week. With such a frontline, you probably can afford Hazard anyway. He may be interesting. As for your 5th def... maybe a Liverpool def if they get thrashed on Thursday?

ElTel wrote: »
    Manone Gomes
    Kosc PVA Smalling Creswell ?
    Sanchez Payet Firmino Millner ?
    Lukaku Defoe Deeney/Ighalo

I thought I'd start up this thread again for us late WCers. I'm BBing in DGW37.
    This is still subject to change but getting down an outline of my thinking and a discussion going with fellow late WCers will benefit us all hopefully and avoid clogging up the transfer thread.
    So I've 2 Arsenal SGWers only in the 15. Lukaku and the Liverpool assets are the obvious concerns. My strategy is flexible I hope in that I'm not averse to a hit next week if Carrol or Rashford (say) become viable etc.

I'd get ddg for gomes. Barkley or townsend as the 5th mid. Probably Reid as the 5th defender. I wouldn't get 2 Liverpool mids if they get a decent result on Thursday. I'd nearly be chancing ibe or ojo if they do.

Neoulous wrote: »
    I'm no late WCer but first thing I'd ask you is are you not afraid of going almost all in for it after what we've experienced in GW34?

Maybe consider some Chelsea players? problem is it's not that easy to pick them this week. With such a frontline, you probably can afford Hazard anyway. He may be interesting. As for your 5th def... maybe a Liverpool def if they get thrashed on Thursday?

True enough. Lots of concerns but money, with this forward line is not one of them. Ivanovic (if Terry is back) and Willian Pedro etc are on my radar but only after the Spurs game. Liverpool/City will be watched closely.
    Currently in top 200 and "safe" in MLs so going all out to top Ireland league.
    First year playing it using Boards and the price changes sites and could well play this game for another 10 years and never be in with a better chance to have a crack at real glory so sticking to the original plan and going for mostly DGWers but looking for those who are nailed on, and still playing for something is paramount after the rotation seen by you DGW34ers.

I'd get ddg for gomes. Barkley or townsend as the 5th mid. Probably Reid as the 5th defender. I wouldn't get 2 Liverpool mids if they get a decent result on Thursday. I'd nearly be chancing ibe or ojo if they do.

Cheers for the feedback.The thinking behind Gomes over DDG is that they could face a Liverpool squad team in the DGW before Norwich and United play my WH assets that week (Smalling there already). Townsend has the fixtures next 2 all right and I like the idea of the Liverpool lads you suggested. I don't want to commit to 3 WH yet so Creswell and Payet it is or perhaps Payet Lanzini and Creswell if I ditch a Liverpool player. So much to decide on yet and am quite nervous. I can see myself up 'till all hours Friday night checking for likely Liverpool line up even though they don't play until Sunday.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Remember, no early K0 on saturday, we"ll have till 2 o clock to **** up our teams:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Remember, no early K0 on saturday, we"ll have till 2 o clock to **** up our teams:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is actually a bit of a godsend, we should have a reasonble idea of what starting lineups will be prior to 2, the early kick offs are a serious disadvantage at times. Especially last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

siblers wrote: »
    That is actually a bit of a godsend, we should have a reasonble idea of what starting lineups will be prior to 2, the early kick offs are a serious disadvantage at times. Especially last week.

How do you forsee knowing the starting lineups?

I didn't phrase that correctly. News broke of Pelle not starting at around quarter past 2, past the deadline I know but at least there's a closer possibilty of people finding out if players are dropped or haven't travelled at a 2pm deadline opposed to 11:45.

I didn't phrase that correctly. News broke of Pelle not starting at around quarter past 2, past the deadline I know but at least there's a closer possibilty of people finding out if players are dropped or haven't travelled at a 2pm deadline opposed to 11:45.

Is there a good source for this kind of info on match day ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I think that news actually "broke" at 2:01 when the official Southampton team sheet was published! :D

I know what you mean but have rarely found this to be the case. It would have helped with Sahko last week I suppose, but usually nothing if consequence is known before 2pm for the 3 o clock KOs.

Rumours about KDB and Ozil being rested/injured proved to be true earlier this year but were floating around twitter from the previous evening. But more often than not thise twitter rumours are BS.

FHFC wrote: »
    I think that news actually "broke" at 2:01 when the official Southampton team sheet was published! :D

I know what you mean but have rarely found this to be the case. It would have helped with Sahko last week I suppose, but usually nothing if consequence is known before 2pm for the 3 o clock KOs.

Rumours about KDB and Ozil being rested/injured proved to be true earlier this year but were floating around twitter from the previous evening. But more often than not thise twitter rumours are BS.

This is true, most predicted team sheets usually come the night before but I guess it's just handy to have the extra time in case something does come to light, I suppose it's half the "fun" trying to predict what nonsense LVG will do next with his rotation :(
    Is there a good source for this kind of info on match day ?
    Posters in the match thread often link to Twitter accounts or certain sites that give potential team news, injuries etc, I don't really know the sites off the top of my head, if I'm bored, sometimes I'll look through fan forums to see if there is any news but I usually find feic all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

What's the reason behind announcing teams 1 hour before kick off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

stephenl15 wrote: »
    What's the reason behind announcing teams 1 hour before kick off?

That's the Premier League rules I think. The reasoning why both teams would need to do it at the same time is to stop one team gaining an advantage by seeing the other teams lineup before naming theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Sometimes a team will post their lineup a minute early (not very often) or an insider like Mark Ritson for Palace will know the team 5 mins early, but you're playing a risky game leaving a transfer that late in case the game updates before you confirm the move

• Advertisement
Advertisement