Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Wildcard activated. Unusually poor start to the season and as with most others have far too many potential fallers and zero risers.

It was the logical thing to do. I'm contemplating bringing rooney back in nearer the weekend if he drops just about enough.

Currently sitting on 41 points in total. Most shocking start ever.

Wildcard team I'm looking at:

Myhill/ McCarthy
    Kompany Darmian Gomez Martin Soare
    Albrighton Sanchez Mahrez Hazard Redmond
    Giroud Kone Aguero

Myhill - has to be done, McCarthy best cheapest substitute at 4.0
    Kompany/Darmian/Gomez will be my usual back 3 with the others as subs
    All the mids will play. Worried about 2 Leicester players. Would like to swap out Albrighton, but can't see anyone better @5.1m

Giroud and Aguero will play each week. Giroud is a very streaky player, so the goal today should mean he goes on a run. Kone, good substitute forward at 5.1

Thoughts?

Started tinkering...

Myhill/McCarthy
    Kompany Darmian Gomez Richards Schlupp
    Payet Sanchez Toure Mahrez Redmond
    Aguero Giroud Kone

Should see some price rises there, still not 100% on finalised team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Pulled the trigger as well :( long week of tinkering ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I've never seen anything like the vicious circle that exists in fantasy football! A player might perform well and a few will spot it. Rumour circles over the internet and people begin to transfer him in. Then his price rise probability increases and everyone thinks about making money overnight. Then his price rise goes through 100% and (insert Joker meme here) everyone loses their minds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've never seen anything like the vicious circle that exists in fantasy football! A player might perform well and a few will spot it. Rumour circles over the internet and people begin to transfer him in. Then his price rise probability increases and everyone thinks about making money overnight. Then his price rise goes through 100% and (insert Joker meme here) everyone loses their minds!

It's a stock market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Price changes are one of the most interesting aspects of the game imo.

PARlance wrote: »
    It's a stock market.

Yeah it did remind me of studying for Economics in the LC when it asked for the factors influencing the value of a currency, one of them being the speculators that keep going backwards and forwards causing mayhem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Aaagghh. I think I'm in.

Looking at the shape of my defence and gks and the need to get alexis i can't see myself making it much further without pulling the trigger...

At best it would be -8 this week and -4 for gw4 and even then defence is dodgy and if Speroni returns could have no playing keeper.

Wildcard now and those 3 hits can still be used for post transfer window surgery and I'll be better off. Couple of key rivals wildcarding too so I could lose ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

FHFC wrote: »
    Aaagghh. I think I'm in.

Looking at the shape of my defence and gks and the need to get alexis i can't see myself making it much further without pulling the trigger...

At best it would be -8 this week and -4 for gw4 and even then defence is dodgy and if Speroni returns could have no playing keeper.

Wildcard now and those 3 hits can still be used for post transfer window surgery and I'll be better off. Couple of key rivals wildcarding too so I could lose ground.

Welcome to the dark side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Aaagghh. I think I'm in.

You're weakening my WC-resistance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

iroced wrote: »
    You're weakening my WC-resistance...

Just hit confirm transfers!! :) or :( remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

I haven't wildcarded yet...

I have taken a 64 point hit though to take advantage of potential double price rises :D

So yeah, I'm jumping aboard that wildcard train too. Choo Choo! :pac:

Just hit confirm transfers!! :) or :( remains to be seen.
    I got Agüero in...

It could be the first step to a full WC. I'm still debating in my head...
    "angel": Nooo iroced, be reasonable, you're off to a flying start, don't ruin it all, don't listen to the evil minds of FSA, especially that late during the night and shall I remind you it's 1h later in your place, go to bed, it's the best thing you can do."

"evil": "Ah go to hell you angel! Yesss, push the shiny button, activate your WC. See how many price changes tonight? Don't tell me you're gonna satisfy yourself with only Agüero. And Rooney could run riot home to Newcastle now that you sold him. Didn't you tell everyone yesterday not to do so? WC would allow him back cheaper hmm?! Be wild, go for it. Didn't you take your chances with Payet & Benteke for this GW? Walcott & Bony out, no big pts to potentially sub in. Didn't it work out so far, a bit of wilderness in this stats world? Listen to me, activate WC!"

"angel": "Don't be tempted! Remenber what Busts said about last year? Good start. Early WC to maximise it. How did it end? >1m tears. Yes. Be reasonable. Go to bed!".

"evil": Quick! The price change time approaches fast!

"..." __________________________________________

chops018 wrote: »
    Why are people all using their wild card?

Most of these boodymen players for Leicester, Everton, Norwich, West Ham, Swansea, Crystal Palace etc. that yee are bringing in will not keep doing well all season.

Players like Mahrez, Albrighton, Redmond, Ayew, Kone, Myhill etc. could all hit 2 points for 4 or 5 GW's in a row.

Baffling..

It's all about the moolah. 0.5 or 0.6 gained now could enable a team containing multiple big hitters much earlier compared to holding off for a few weeks. Looking at the volatility on the price prediction sites, significant team value can be made through an early wildcard. Also, some of the main big names (Hazard, Costa, Rooney, Arsenal mids) have largely disappointed to date. Whereas old reliables like Sanchez and Aguero who are back earlier than maybe expected are firing on all cylinders. Cue panic.

I resisted the WC !!!

... but, as I said earlier, went against my yesterday plea for Rooney and did get Agüero for him (safety team value measure :D :rolleyes:)...

• Advertisement

I resisted the WC !!!

... but, as I said earlier, went against my yesterday plea for Rooney and did get Agüero for him (safety team value measure :D :rolleyes:)...

Holding the wildcard could turn out to be a really good move yet. I've drafted Rooney out for now but might try squeeze him back in Saturday morning (hopefully cheaper) alongside Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Wildcarded yesterday after 2 awful weeks, on 49 points total. Currently have

Romero McCarthy

Kolarov Gomez Richards Ward Oxford

Yaya Cabaye Payet Oscar Ayew

Aguero Lukaku Benteke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Had too much to drink on Saturday night and wildcarded on the walk home from the pub. Looks like I'm all aboard the wildcard train too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Had too much to drink on Saturday night and wildcarded on the walk home from the pub. Looks like I'm all aboard the wildcard train too.

On fantasy football while walking home from night on the gargle...

Long gone are the days of waking up reading through the random drunken texts looking for your hole :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Chesty08 wrote: »
    On fantasy football while walking home from night on the gargle...

Long gone are the days of waking up reading through the random drunken texts looking for your hole :)

They were less dreadful than this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

26 points GW1
    22 points GW2

I'm so glad I wildcarded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Rikand wrote: »
    26 points GW1
    22 points GW2

I'm so glad I wildcarded

You wont be when your new team gets 18 points ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Drunkenly activated the WC yesterday but i dont blame drunk me at all... two woeful gameweeks so far

this is where i'm at now

OIPgocp.png

Not happy about losing out on .1 for Walcott and paying an extra .1 for Romero but such is life with this game.

Rudd and STaylor are obviously not ideal but it looks like i'm stuck with them for now. Chadli is my only other concern but not sure who else in his price range is a better option at the minute.

players shipped out:

Stekelenburg
    Alderweireld
    Hazard
    Walcott
    Sterling
    Kane
    Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Tempted to WC but not sure if I need to or not. Current team:

Panti Hennessey
    Bellerin Azpi Gomez Huth Taylor
    Haz Mahrez Sterling Ritchie Fletcher
    Aguero Sakho Benteke

Have already used my FTs this week and with Sterling looking set to drop tonight, might take a hit to get Silva. Another hit next week would get me Sanchez and Kolarov. Not happy with GKs, don't know why I went for Panti over Myhill. He looks like dropping and so does Ritchie.

So should I hold or go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I know it's early but might pull the trigger too! It's actually the price changes that are forcing me into it.

Sorry if it's been asked before but does it make any difference if I make all my transfers and then hit the WC button...or if I just WC first and then make changes? I remember someone saying last year that you can take advantage of price rises/falls by doing one or the other but I'm a bit confused now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

current wc draft..

i honestly dont know what to do as regards top mfs and which chelsea players to go with or whether to ditch for the moment..

butland, myhill
    richards, huth, darmian, ward, williams
    payet, mahrez, fabregas, toure, sanchez
    aguero, gomis, kone

will see how mahrez carries on,, may downgrade at a later date if he peters out... major questions marks over fabregas in there but i need chelsea cover in there somewhere..

Would this be over kill on a premium defence? it's leaving me with a weaker MF than I'd like

Courtois-Mccarthy
    Shaw-Kolarov-Richards-Targett.-S Taylor
    Sanchez-Silva- Chadli-(Albrighton, Ibe or next flavour of the month)-4.5 Sub
    Aguero-Costa(or Rooney)-Defoe

Here's my budget issues;

can't ignore Courtois at 5.4 (Chelsea will come good) and Kolarov on Sunday's form,
    Shaw is the cheapest way into United defence. ( I would consider dropping him to a 4.5 but then I'd need to upgrade one of my 4.0 chaps to a starter so back to square one)

Am finding it hard to justify downgrading Silva to Yaya. although 23 mill in City Attack is excessive.

Thinking Rooney for Saturday depending on champions league performance then Costa after. But in a few weeks could go Lukaku/Benteke and try squeeze Hazard in MF

Would like Mata in MF instead of Chadli realistically, instead of Albrighton would be ideal :P

Anything obvious I'm overlooking to get more quality in MF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Grrrrrrrr I got Yaya and Kompany in last night hoping I would get two rises out of them before Silva and Kolarov (the two I really want) rose. But it looks like that's not gonna happen now as Silva and Kolarov will probably rise tomorrow. I wish I could pick 5 city players until Saturday :pac:

Wildcard active. ****.

First time I'm going with a 1 team keeper. Hello Pulisball :D*.

*(Mainly doing this so I can say Pulisball more often in my life).

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been asked before but does it make any difference if I make all my transfers and then hit the WC button...or if I just WC first and then make changes? I remember someone saying last year that you can take advantage of price rises/falls by doing one or the other but I'm a bit confused now!
    No. You can activate your WC before, during or after you make any transfers, as long as you activate it before the deadline it will wipe away all the transfers made in that given GW ;).

• Advertisement

No. You can activate your WC before, during or after you make any transfers, as long as you activate it before the deadline it will wipe away all the transfers made in that given GW ;).

thanks! would never trust myself to leave activating it at the last minute :P so she's done now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

menoscemo wrote: »
    Grrrrrrrr I got Yaya and Kompany in last night hoping I would get two rises out of them before Silva and Kolarov (the two I really want) rose. But it looks like that's not gonna happen now as Silva and Kolarov will probably rise tomorrow. I wish I could pick 5 city players until Saturday :pac:

Similar boat and now have Silva & Kolarov in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wildcard active. ****.

First time I'm going with a 1 team keeper. Hello Pulisball :D*.

*(Mainly doing this so I can say Pulisball more often in my life).

McCarthy of Palace is a playing 4.0, may rise tonigjt though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

possible WC squad..thoughts anyone? Unsure about Gestede, more of a gamble 6m striker. Will play 3-4-3 most weeks. Liking the look of Ayew so far, but my only worry is my cheap as chips defence, barring Azpi. Mings i could possibly transfer out for any other 4.5m def considering he hasn't started or played in the last 2.
    77d8f333a8.jpg

shineon23 wrote: »
    Would this be over kill on a premium defence? it's leaving me with a weaker MF than I'd like

Courtois-Mccarthy

Here's my budget issues;

can't ignore Courtois at 5.4 (Chelsea will come good) and Kolarov on Sunday's form,
    Shaw is the cheapest way into United defence. ( I would consider dropping him to a 4.5 but then I'd need to upgrade one of my 4.0 chaps to a starter so back to square one)

Am finding it hard to justify downgrading Silva to Yaya. although 23 mill in City Attack is excessive.

Thinking Rooney for Saturday depending on champions league performance then Costa after. But in a few weeks could go Lukaku/Benteke and try squeeze Hazard in MF

Would like Mata in MF instead of Chadli realistically, instead of Albrighton would be ideal :P

Anyone for a second opinion on this?

dahat wrote: »
    McCarthy of Palace is a playing 4.0, may rise tonigjt though

True, but desite him playing well, surely Speroni will come back soon? Maybe it is worth throwing him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

True, but desite him playing well, surely Speroni will come back soon? Maybe it is worth throwing him in.

Definate short term option, better than a 4.0/non playing keeper.

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Similar boat and now have Silva & Kolarov in

Yeah my plan of getting profits out of Yaya and Kompany is not going to work so I have just swapped them for Kolarov and Silva, just in case one of the two latter have a shock rise tonight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

menoscemo wrote:
    Yeah my plan of getting profits out of Yaya and Kompany is not going to work so I have just swapped them for Kolarov and Silva, just in case one of the two latter have a shock rise tonight....

I've done the same. Yaya looks like being a 0.2 riser but getting Silva in before he rises is the priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

thanks! would never trust myself to leave activating it at the last minute :P so she's done now!

I didn't trust myself either. Popped it today after taking -80 in hits

spock. wrote: »
    I've done the same. Yaya looks like being a 0.2 riser but getting Silva in before he rises is the priority.

Pity, at one point yesterday it looked Yaya and Kompany were rising about 4 times faster than Silva and Kolarov but at the moment they seem to be rising at the same rate. Anyway hopefully we might get 2 risers out of the two boys before the weekend? Maybe 1 tomorrow and another on Friday night....

Rikand wrote: »
    I didn't trust myself either. Popped it today after taking -80 in hits

Jaysus! I thought I was bad having taken a -64! :pac:

possible WC squad..thoughts anyone? Unsure about Gestede, more of a gamble 6m striker. Will play 3-4-3 most weeks. Liking the look of Ayew so far, but my only worry is my cheap as chips defence, barring Azpi. Mings i could possibly transfer out for any other 4.5m def considering he hasn't started or played in the last 2.
    77d8f333a8.jpg

I would personally make a few changes to it. Firstly, I would probably pick Richards out of your defence and replace him with a West Brom defender for 5.0M. To do this, I would either downgrade Silva to Toure or Rooney to Pelle (or someone similar). Gestede to Okazaki as well.

I would personally make a few changes to it. Firstly, I would probably pick Richards out of your defence and replace him with a West Brom defender for 5.0M. To do this, I would either downgrade Silva to Toure or Rooney to Pelle (or someone similar). Gestede to Okazaki as well.

I originally had Okazaki, but doubling up on Leicester attack, i thought would be risky. Any reason why West Brom specifically? i have Myhill in goal already.

I originally had Okazaki, but doubling up on Leicester attack, i thought would be risky. Any reason why West Brom specifically? i have Myhill in goal already.

Because of Pulis!! Having a West Brom defender in your squad is a great asset imo. When a good game comes up, you can just place him in. I think they're the best value for 5M. I don't believe having two of the same team is exactly a bad thing, as you're not exactly reliant on them especially with the ability to put the two of them on the bench when they play Arsenal or someone.

I'm actually thinking the same with my team atm about Leicester. The prices of Mahrez, Okazaki and Albrighton are a perfect fit for my team. I don't want all three, however, then that would be too reliant. But their fixtures are unbelievable for the next dozen weeks or so. Then they play all the big teams at the end of the first half. The way they're continuing their form into this season makes them all the more appealing. I don't know for sure but I can't see Aston Villa giving Gestede the service Okazaki will likely get.

• Advertisement

Because of Pulis!! Having a West Brom defender in your squad is a great asset imo. When a good game comes up, you can just place him in. I think they're the best value for 5M. I don't believe having two of the same team is exactly a bad thing, as you're not exactly reliant on them especially with the ability to put the two of them on the bench when they play Arsenal or someone.

I'm actually thinking the same with my team atm about Leicester. The prices of Mahrez, Okazaki and Albrighton are a perfect fit for my team. I don't want all three, however, then that would be too reliant. But their fixtures are unbelievable for the next dozen weeks or so. Then they play all the big teams at the end of the first half. The way they're continuing their form into this season makes them all the more appealing. I don't know for sure but I can't see Aston Villa giving Gestede the service Okazaki will likely get.

Yeah, fair point. I'll probably go with a 4.5m option from West Brom though, as I prefer Silva over Yaya. I was thinking the same with Gestede. If Villa can do it with Benteke, why not Gestede. I'll see how Leicester perform in their next game though and base my decision off of that. Haven't activated my WC as of yet :P

9.5 tied up in WBA's defence is too much.

Swansea, Liverpool(although you have Gomez), Spurs offer 5.0 defenders and you wouldn't have to double up. (Or Schlupp: Leicester see below)

4.5 options for Mings I'd go Norwich(decent run unitl Oct/Nov) or maybe Palace(think their run is trickier).

~4.0 defenders it's a toss up between Oxford(4.1) S Taylor & Targett, at the moment, Targett's place is secure until Bertrand is fit, Taylor may start with Janmaat's suspension. Oxford will be a tough call every week.

Double/Treble up on Leicester attack is definite overkill with their prices,
    unless Schlupp at 5.0 in defence regularly plays as an winger in MF(maybe not at the weekend but most of last season and GW1), and could get additional clean sheet points from MF. Same would go for Eric Dier at the minute but not sure how long he'll stay in MF.
    if (Mahrez-5.7, Okazaki-6.0, albrigthon-5.1) 16.8 tied up here you are heavily replying on Leicester to keep up this form. There has to be better value out there,
    even in the 11.7 between Mahrez and Okazaki.

Only for Mahrez's form at the moment I'd have Schlupp as a season keeper out of the Leicester squad.

shineon23 wrote: »

Courtois-Mccarthy

Here's my budget issues;

Don't think your defense is too expensive. You'll play every week Courtois / Shaw-Kolarov and need to find a good 3-way rotation to go alongside. Unfortunately this rotation is pretty hard to find right now. West Brom (Pulis) & Swansea look solid but no one at £4.5m. Usual suspects (Stoke, Sunderland, Newcastle) are not in great form defensively speaking (pretty dire form for the latter 2 actually). Villa & Palace offer decent options at £4.5m. Liverpool Gomez could be this year Bellerin or Djourou (anyone remember him :p?), unusually cheap for a premium club, good start, not guaranteed a start but may eventually take advantage of injuries/suspensions and prove he's worth it on the pitch. Not sure that'll happen but a £4.6m 'Pool def has to be interesting and monitored.

No pb with Sanchez-Silva-e.g. Albrighton-4.5 playing bench fodder and Agüero.
    But I'd downgrade Rooney/Costa to the Benteke/Lukaku/Gomis range (have to factor the coming fixtures and their price) and upgrade Chadli to Mata and Defoe to whoever you can afford that plays for a better team and has a nice run of fixtures coming (Darragh mentioned Leicester's Okazaki, why not Stoke's Diouf? nice fixtures too).
    77d8f333a8.jpg
    If you plan on getting a non guaranteed second GK get McCarthy from the same team. He's close to rising and currently plays.

Strikeforce looks great bar Gestede. Don't understand the appeal for him. So far he's not a regular starter and it's not good enough for me. Darragh point about Okazaki is very valid. Or you could go cheaper (Ighalo or S. Fletcher) so that you can spend £1m extra for your defense and get Shaw or Kolarov for one of your £4.5m def such that you can play Azpi-Shaw/Kolarov every week and rotate one of your other 3 (Palace & Villa offer nice £4.5m options, just check what fixtures they give you for the next 6-10 GWs).

Don't think your defense is too expensive. You'll play every week Courtois / Shaw-Kolarov and need to find a good 3-way rotation to go alongside. Unfortunately this rotation is pretty hard to find right now. West Brom (Pulis) & Swansea look solid but no one at £4.5m. Usual suspects (Stoke, Sunderland, Newcastle) are not in great form defensively speaking (pretty dire form for the latter 2 actually). Villa & Palace offer decent options at £4.5m. Liverpool Gomez could be this year Bellerin or Djourou (anyone remember him :p?), unusually cheap for a premium club, good start, not guaranteed a start but may eventually take advantage of injuries/suspensions and prove he's worth it on the pitch. Not sure that'll happen but a £4.6m 'Pool def has to be interesting and monitored.

No pb with Sanchez-Silva-e.g. Albrighton-4.5 playing bench fodder and Agüero.
    But I'd downgrade Rooney/Costa to the Benteke/Lukaku/Gomis range (have to factor the coming fixtures and their price) and upgrade Chadli to Mata and Defoe to whoever you can afford that plays for a better team and has a nice run of fixtures coming (Darragh mentioned Leicester's Okazaki, why not Stoke's Diouf? nice fixtures too).

Cheers, sound advice there.

I actually have Gomez in at the moment to chase price rises so may end up holding for a while and transfer him if he loses his place. Pool do be good for cheap DF's I had Flanagan and Kelly in past seasons at 4-4.5mil.

Costa/Rooney position is the problem(Rooney and Chelsea out of sorts)
    Had Benteke (pre wildcard) and Hazard, so dumping them was to get Alexis and Costa in, as much as Costa hasn't done anything, Hazard was invisible Sunday. Lukaku's run is putting me off him but Gomis is a decent shout short term if Hazard suddenly explodes into form, it'd solve a lot of problems alright.

Defoe/Sunderland form is a worry and I'd sooner go for a cheaper FW to get Mata money.
    It'd be ideal if LvG would say if Young or Januzaj would play each week, I know they'd not score as much points but be great value wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Hoping Kompany/Lukaku rise again and I'll switch them out for Kolarov/Benteke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement