Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shellac and psoriasis

Options
  • 11-08-2015 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have fairly bad psoriasis, which has caused some of the characteristic "pitting" on some of my nails. It's really not that noticeable, you wouldn't be aware of it unless you were looking at my nails up close. I'm booked in for a Shellac manicure tomorrow - just wondering if anyone has gotten one of these with psoriasis? I'll mention it to my friend before she starts tomorrow, it only just occurred to me that it might be an issue. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kickthecan

Bit of googling I found this. Seems it depends how bad your condition is but the general consensus is you're good to go!
    http://www.salongeek.com/threads/psoriasis-shellac.180423/

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've psoriasis and I've actually never heard of nail pitting :o I googled it and I don't think I do have it but I do have very weak nails that split very easily, so I wonder if that's connected?

As a result, any 2-week manicure I get really doesn't last :( I generally have peeling within a couple of days, so I just don't bother with them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I have a little bit of pitting in maybe 4 or 5 of my nails, but I've never connected it to my (very minor) psoriasis! So first off, thank you for pointing out the obvious to me. :D

The pitting in my nails isn't extreme, most people wouldn't even notice until I point it out to them. But I've had Shellac done a good few times & the pitting has never been an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I ended up postponing the manicure til tomorrow, but will be sure to report back on how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I have very mild psoriasis and get shellac a lot i have no issues except my nails are very weak from it all at the moment :( currently giving them a break but i cant wait to get them done again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

There are two types of Gel polish - hard gel that is much stronger and better for very weak nails but it has to be removed by buffing and a soak off gel that slides off easily when soaked with remover pads.

Shellac is a soak off brand of gel polish by CND. Your natural nail should not be buffed when having a shellac manicure, so if the technician does this, they're not applying the Shellac correctly.

If you have thin bendy weak nails, you'd be better off going for a stronger gel such as Gelish (soak off) adding a base layer of hard gel underneath perhaps or even acrylics, if they're particularly weak.

Less reputable technicians use gel bought from eBay such as Bluesky 'shellac' and other dodgy brands. Always check the bottles they use as there's a lot of cheap imports from China that are causing allergies in some people.

Advertisement