Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour removal

Options
  • 11-08-2015 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I recently, around 5weeks ago, got my hair dyed in a salon. this was to cover over the horrible colour my hair is naturally, along with the ever increasing greys along with the long time left over light brown or blonde that would be half way or so down my head. I liked the colour somewhat. I was thinking I'd continue to get it coloured regularly, but tbh I'm having second thoughts about that plan now. I'm not a fan of my own colour, and a think the grey looks awfil, but i hate the regrowth. Plus, while my hair felt lovely for a few weeks after the colour, it's not so great now.

So I'm weighing up whether or not I should continue colouring. I'm wondering whatmy options are. I've seen this colour remover thing in boots, and wondering if it really is any use. Plus a big factor would be what does it do to the condition of your hair. does it work on all colours. will it maybe not remove the browny/blonde colour at the end of my hair. Should I consider going to a hairdresser for removal, if they do such a thing. How much, roughly, does it cost?

I don't like the greys but I feel if I was to continue colouring my hair it'd be in awful condition permanently. I had a lovely conditioning treatment with the colour,aveeda I think, so I thought I'd rsther spend the money on thst regularly to keep my hair in good shape, rather than the dye.

I'd appreciate any feedback or experiences you have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Does anybody have any experience of the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

You're always going to get a band of re-growth with an all-over colour.

Consider having subtle highlights next time to break up your natural colour and you won't be left with an obvious line of re-growth.

Colour removing products are best left to the experts who can advise on how best to care for your hair. Where your hair is lightened, a colour remover cannot undo this and you will be left with very patchy hair if you try doing it yourself.

If your hair felt great after it was coloured and then less good a couple of weeks later, this is down to you using poor quality shampoos/conditioners as opposed to the high end shampoo/products used by the salon.

Cheaper brands contain a higher percentage of the cheaper ingredients to bulk them out so they might appear good value for money but you use far less of the Salon quality shampoo to get the same cleansing effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I appreciate your response.
    I have coloured my hair at home plenty over the years and with all that I've done with it, I don't think it's ever been in such bad condition. If you're saying it's my products, can you recommend good ones? It's ridiculous to spend a tenner on a bottle, and I won't be, but something more reasonable I'll consider.

Re the colour removal, can you tell me where I can get this done or roughly how much it would be? I haven't seen colour removal listed in any salons. I've seen colour correction, maybe that's it, but never seen a price for that.
    I'd consider highlights but even if it's a more subtle regrowth, you'll still have a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I appreciate your response.
    I have coloured my hair at home plenty over the years and with all that I've done with it, I don't think it's ever been in such bad condition. If you're saying it's my products, can you recommend good ones? It's ridiculous to spend a tenner on a bottle, and I won't be, but something more reasonable I'll consider.

Re the colour removal, can you tell me where I can get this done or roughly how much it would be? I haven't seen colour removal listed in any salons. I've seen colour correction, maybe that's it, but never seen a price for that.
    I'd consider highlights but even if it's a more subtle regrowth, you'll still have a line.

I had it done a few years ago when my hair was dyed red to remove that. It was 250e and it took approx. 4 hours.

They literally scrub the colour from your hair. My hair was in terrible condition afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

A colour remover works by breaking down the artificial colour molecules and allows them to be washed out when you rinse the hair. No scrubbing required at all and it doesn't contain bleaching agents unlike colour strippers. Hair should be left in good condition assuming the correct products are used.

You do need to apply an oxidising tint afterwards otherwise, any remaining colour will re-oxidise and go dark again.

I only use Salon products so I can't personally recommend any over the counter shampoos/conditioners...sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The home colour removers aren't as harsh as salon colour "stripping" and worked quite well for me.

Advertisement