Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA super cup

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Tension there was unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Shouldn't have tried to park the bus in extra time if they had just went at Barcelona they would have won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ah man, that's another glorious chance wasted. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Game of the season wrapped up early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Super cup indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Hilarious how much the mics are picking up off the players in this game.

Luis Suarez's full throated, prosaic 'FCUK OFF!!' to the linesman near the end was a personal favourite.

It'll be hard to beat that for game of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

That_Guy wrote: »
    Pfft. It's only a glorified friendly.

Look at Iniesta, at Mascherano during that game, Messi's celebrations, the back room staff and coach charging down the line go and tell them it's a friendly. It's a friendly in England where apparently only the PL and Champions League matter, in Europe that mattered.

• Advertisement

Spanish Super Cup now next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Pedro doesn't look like a man who wants to leave anyway. Always a man for a goal in a final. Won them the Super Cup in extra time a few years back too

Look at Iniesta, at Mascherano during that game, Messi's celebrations, the back room staff and coach charging down the line go and tell them it's a friendly. It's a friendly in England where apparently only the PL and Champions League matter, in Europe that mattered.

Jaysus, I'm joking.

elefant wrote: »
    Hilarious how much the mics are picking up off the players in this game.

Luis Suarez's full throated, prosaic 'FCUK OFF!!' to the linesman near the end was a personal favourite.

Never seen Pique so angry either.

Fantastic game, incredible journey, for 60 minutes this was a procession of beautiful Barcelona football, a master class delivered by the grand masters. Then the grand masters fell asleep, Sevilla, an excellent team in their own right, punished them and then we got that finish to the game of all finishes. If you wrote that you'd say it's too corny, Pedro delivers at the end of the game, at the end of his Barcelona career.
    The greatest team in the world, the worlds premier club in the last decade, if any team can retain the Champions League it is this Barcelona team, it's a special group of players, a special team, a special club.

Jaysus, I'm joking.

My bad, I have seen that friendly insinuation before.

Quality to see players put so much into such a game.

Great entertainment

Michael Owen: "Barcelona are just different class when they're on form"

They conceded 4 goals!!

Michael Owen: "Barcelona are just different class when they're on form"

They conceded 4 goals!!

They still won and when you go and see the trophies, you won't see that etched on them.

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    They still won and when you go and see the trophies, you won't see that etched on them.

I understand that but you can't say they were on form when they nearly threw away the game completely.

I understand that but you can't say they were on form when they nearly threw away the game completely.

Commentating is filler half the time, they talk sh*t.

The cricket was far better than Hargreaves and Fletcher. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Because they dare to not say something good about Barcelona. In fairness like.

Great game and Barca done well to win it, but if they had lost that it would have gone down as a disastrous collapse.

Corholio wrote: »
    Because they dare to not say something good about Barcelona. In fairness like.

Great game and Barca done well to win it, but if they had lost that it would have gone down as a disastrous collapse.

They fell apart in the second half and were lucky to get the messy finisher but they started off superbly.

Pedro doesn't look like a man who wants to leave anyway. Always a man for a goal in a final. Won them the Super Cup in extra time a few years back too

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/631217148547989504

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Are you forgetting his goal celebration?

Are you forgetting his goal celebration?

I think his reaction to the celebrations after the game are a much clearer indication if he's staying or not, but hey its all speculation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's a fairy tale, it's fantasy stuff, a quite unbelievable game is set to end in a quite unbelievable way. Pedro Rodriguez, a club legend, in probably his last game, has gotten what is surely the winner. His parting gift is the European Supercup, he leaves a hero.

I would wager that you were not wearing pants as you typed that.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I would wager that you were not wearing pants as you typed that.

I'm a romantic at heart and that was truly heartwarming stuff, just a remarkable match with the most incredible ending.

Speaking of Pedro I know a big sub-plot of the game tonight is the Pedro situation so for anyone who hasn't see them yet here's a few quotes coming out of the game tonight. Credit Barcastuff for these

Pedro: "This is a difficult situation for me, of course I wanted to start. I don't know what will happen, but I will always be a Barça fan. Do I want to leave? The answer is 'No', but my situation is difficult. It's not about money, but about more playing time."

Luis Enrique: "Rafinha replaced Neymar? Pedro didn't finish training due to calf muscle problem two days ago, and we all know his situation. Pedro not starting? I just do my job, I know there's always criticism, but I don't have anything more to say about this."

Messi: "Pedro deserves this for everything he gave and still gives to the club. Whatever he decides, we wish him the best."

It was a great game to be fair, very very enjoyable. Almost like an uber competitive exhibition match. It's a cool concept for a curtain raiser in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Just to touch on Anderson's point about the Spanish taking the UEFA Super Cup seriously.

2009 : Spain
    2010 : Spain
    2011 : Spain
    2012 : Spain
    2013 : Germany
    2014 : Spain
    2015 : Spain

Some record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just to touch on Anderson's point about the Spanish taking the UEFA Super Cup seriously.

2009 : Spain
    2010 : Spain
    2011 : Spain
    2012 : Spain
    2013 : Germany
    2014 : Spain
    2015 : Spain

Some record.

In fairness many of those would still be marked 'Spain' even if the clubs treated it as a joke and dressed up in clown costumes - it doesn't necessarily prove they took it seriously merely that they are good at winning both the CL and EL the previous year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Perhaps it justifies UEFAs decision to give the EL winners a place in the CL

If the winners are as good as Sevilla, perhaps. They were also the only side to match Barcelona in the league run-in last season, coming from 0-2 down.

Reflects the depth in La Liga quite well, considering they had players out.

Advertisement