Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Dell LGA 775 question

Options
  • 11-08-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hello,

I just have a quick question regarding a dell inspiron 530. I have 2 of them at the moment. One has a Q6600 processor the other has an E2160. The motherboard is fried in the one with the Q6600.

Can I take the Q6600 processor from the 530 with the fried motherboard and replace the E2160 in the other dell with it.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I would think so yes, you'll have to change the thermal paste on the CPU though.

Worst case scenario it won't work and you can stick the E2160 back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If they both have the same mobo/Bios version then definitely. In some cases older Bios's wont have support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Should work fine. I wouldn't imagine there are bios that support Allendale but not the Q6600. I think those early Core2Quad's work on pretty much any motherboard that supports the first Core2's.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭doniem

That's great, thanks for the replies folks, I figured as much but just wanted to double check that I wasn't missing anything obvious. The PCs are in houses 60 miles apart so I wanted to check before travelling.

Advertisement