Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of rénovation for fire damaged house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Wouldn't be long putting €200k into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Would also be worth finding out the history of the fire. Was it caused by the occupants, faulty wiring, appliances etc or was it started by an outsider. Houses that have had tenants attracting trouble sometime still attract trouble after the tenants have left, you would need to do your research on this one.

Be cheaper to flatten it and start again, looks like an area you would be better staying well away from though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

http://touch.daft.ie/sales/37a-suncroft-park-tallaght-dublin/1092762/

Just Wondered how much it would cost to renovate à house like this ?

As long as the fire did not cause structural damage, it's a complete strip out back to thblco and timber.

Then replastered throughout. New ceilings floor boards etc

I think it could be done with 100k once there's no structural damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

I'm no Fire Officer or engineer so don't take my word on this...

Looks like the fire started in the corner of the living room, probably the TV or other electrical equipment. Damage looks fairly superficial (for a fire) in the photos but you're certainly looking at gutting the place. What is not obvious from the pics is whether there is any damage to the roof timbers. That could get real expensive, real quickly. There should be a Dublin Fire Brigade report on the fire knocking about but I'm not sure if that is made available to a general public enquirer. The seller might have it. Anyway, at the end of the day, you'd want to get your own structural engineer report if you put in a bid that's accepted.

Given that there are similar non-fire damaged properties near by going for 130k, I would be offering a hell of a lot less than 60k. In fact, I'd probably just be bidding on the other houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Just had a look at property on google maps... i dont like the look of that Sulky in the house next door leaning against boundary wall ... ;)

I think I would pass on this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

http://touch.daft.ie/sales/37a-suncroft-park-tallaght-dublin/1092762/

Just Wondered how much it would cost to renovate à house like this ?

Funnily enough I was browsing through houses yesterday, saw this house & was wondering the same thing.

My concerns would be about the cause of fire also. Though if it would cost €100k+ to put right i wouldn't bother.

If it's that area / Tallaght in general that you're looking at, there's houses with asking price cheaper than cost of fire damaged house + renovation costs. At least with another house you would be guaranteed the structure would be sound from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I was just browsing and noticed this house. Just curious as to the cost of reno. House s close by would be cheaper giving the cost of reno I think

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

At least with another house you would be guaranteed the structure would be sound from the get go.

Ahh, don't you mean "at least you would not have doubts about the structure from the get go". Just because a house does have obvious issues, doesn't mean it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

if you break the trades down I don;t think it would be anywhere near 100k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Ahh, don't you mean "at least you would not have doubts about the structure from the get go". Just because a house does have obvious issues, doesn't mean it's fine.

True indeed, I'm sure you would need to get a survey done of any house regardless of the state of it.

The OP would be better off checking out the other houses in the area, would most likely be cheaper in the long run.

Advertisement