Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog smells rank !

• 11-08-2015 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Our dog who is washed fairly regularly now smells rank ! My wife took him to the local park earlier for one of his daily walks and he seems to have come back with this very strong smell - fox piss maybe ?? Something very pungent anyway !

We washed him this evening taking a good 15 mins to scrub him using the usual tea-tree dog shampoo and rinse him off well, and he still smells of this, albeit maybe a little less than before, but still strong enough to stink the house out !

There's a copse of trees in the park that he likes to go into and we think he picked it up there - have seen him roll on his back there previously but never pick up this particular smell

Any ideas on how to clean him if it IS something like fox pee ? Warm water and shampoo certainly doesn't seem to work !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

take him to the beach, get him wet, let him roll in the sand ...rinse & repeat :D

(alternatively a lake/river & mud will work just as well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Good chance there is a dead animal in there and thats what he was rolling about on or even fox crap. Whenever my pointer came across a corpse out hunting he would do exactly that and iv seen other lads dogs do the same, they would be stinking after it sometimes too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

1 part vinegar to 4 parts warm water. I've heard ketchup works too - but I don't like tomatoes so using ketchup would freak me out :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Probably fox poop - my dog cannot resist it - the smell lingers but should subside after the wash - I find rinsing his collar area straight away lessens the full on impact - perhaps if he was wearing a head collar it got on that?

Also he may have rubbed the scent into his bed -

Edit to add; tomato ketchup does lessen the smell but depending on the coat can be a bugger to remove and can cause matting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

all dogs instinct is to roll in something to mask their own smells from predators - gotta keep safe from those dinosaurs, not to mention sabre tooth tigers you know :D

Yes, dont forget to wash/scrub the collar. Good advise to use vinegar in the water, and Ketchup DOES work - we used it when we lived in the US to get rid of a skunk spray :eek: - buy a large bottle of the cheaper ketchup, wet the dog, squirt all over ("armpits" and even paw pads too) - concentrate on their shoulders which is where they usually rub first, then roll onto their backs :rolleyes: - leave it on for a little bit, then rinse, wash with dog friendly shampoo, then rinse again.

Is there anything worse than a stinking rolled in something revolting dog smell?! Watch him for a day or two when you walk - go another route! - or he will go back and roll in it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have a t-shirt (vest/coat in colder months when it's muckier) on one of mine every weekday morning in the park because I don't have time to wash her if she rolls before work!! It's saved me a few times :p We can't go to the dunes in the warmer months at all because of kind people who like to leave poo there for her to roll in >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Just a week ago started to let my dog of the leash-4y old lab mix,in sort of closed off park area,anyway first days were great running around,ignoring other dogs and always following me.Few days later walking in the same park,she goes into grasses,thought usual sniffing-since dog is like a coke head when it comes to sniffing grasses :cool: .

Anyway few minutes later it runs past me and see back all wet looking-strange since whole day was dry.

Minutes later this stench hits me like a brick wall,thought i stepped into dog crap,check the shoes nothing,smell is severe like 50 feet radius,dog comes around rub the back and its all sticky smell my hand and almost faint-dead crap,tar whatever the heck it was,must been crap and some dead animal corpses mixed together,And she took time to roll herself really good in it.

even on the way home people were looking like wtf :eek:

got her into the tub and used 2 shampoo bottles straight rinsing it in,for a good hour,then repeat.had to drop collar and leash into vinegar as smell was so severe and got onto everything she touched.Anyway once done she smelled like fresh out of washing machine :D .

Trouble is she has always done it in the garden in grass so never minded it,but now after ive seen her of the leash and come next day she finds any sort of smell and starts rolling in it-to say the least back on the leash as much as i hate it.

Any advice how to deal with such issues,since did a lot of reading and its common trait among labs to roll in any crap they find-the worse the better it seems.

Advertisement