Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Results - AIT Masterthread (SU)

• 11-08-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Firstly welcome to the Masterthread for all your Leaving Cert results questions about Athlone IT. My name is Kevin and I am your Students' Union President for the next 10 months or so.

Accommodation: you will most likely need accommodation to stay in while you attend AIT. There is no such thing as on campus accommodation and all houses/apartments are privately owned. We here in the SU register local landlords and apartment blocks and are able to stand over these regarding their quality. If you would like to see our listing go to our website www.aitsu.ie/accommodation

You will see a map of all housing areas around the college and also two hyperlinks which let you download the hoses/digs lists and the apartments list.

If you want to ring and ask for advise/suggestions call 0906468067 and somebody in the office will help you out. There has been a lot of interest already and this has seen a lot of apartment space booked up already so we are the most in the know people regarding where is currently available.

We will sometimes direct you to apartments and houses which are not registered with us and we will always tell you as such. We cannot take any responsibility if the quality is not up to standard or falls later in the year.

If you are visiting to go looking around Athlone, come in and talk to us. We will give you the most up to date listings and also talk you through the map. There is a wealth of experience in our office you should tap in to it.

We do not know if the points will go down,up slide sideways or anything of the sort. Nobody in the college knows that until the days leading up to the offers and only then will it be released. We can give opinions if asked but we cannot be taken for gospel on this matter.

Starting date:

As a incoming first year you will have your induction day on the Thursday 3rd or Friday 4th of September. You will only be in for one of these days. You will receive all the information relating to your induction in the post. It is very important that you attend you full induction process as it is the only way you will learn all of what AIT has to offer. The Students' Union talk is particularly useful and you get to meet your officers who represent you throughout the year!

Teaching starts:

On the 7th of September. Hopefully you will have found your bearings on your induction day. On t his day all years and all classes will be back in to the swing of things. Don't worry if you get lost. Come to the students' union building and we will steer you the right way. We will be around the campus on your first days anyways so don't be afraid to stop us and ask us questions. Our offices are always open if you have anything on your mind either!

Your first week:

It will be a little chaotic. Try and go to all your lecturers. You will meet the person who will be teaching you for the year but it is when you will make your friends for the year. Classes will be swapped and changed and your timetable will change completely but that is all part of the fun of the first few weeks!

That's just a snippet of what to expect from your results day tomorrow. If you end up coming to AIT please make yourself know to us in the Students' Union we would love to get to know you!

Any questions pop them here and I'll reply or again www.aitsu.ie or 0906468067 and you will get myself or someone else on the phone!

Best of luck tomorrow,

Kevin Ronan
    AIT Students' Union President

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 karina19

hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew about the resit exams. i failed my anatomy exam and am resitting it next week but was just wondering if i fail it again can i carry it into second year or will i have to repeat first year... am just abit nervous about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Hi, if any use.
    I'm pretty sure you can carry one subject from one year into another (I'm in Engineering/Science) and I know a few who have failed an exam and carried into years 2 or 3.
    This is the official AIT policy:
    http://www.ait.ie/informationforfuturestudents/aboutourprogrammes/modularisation/
    It says " ...In some circumstances, you may be able to proceed to the subsequent year of a programme carrying a failed module and have the opportunity to be reassessed or retake the module. "
    My reading of this: you can carry up to 10 credits into the next year.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

karina19 wrote: »
    hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew about the resit exams. i failed my anatomy exam and am resitting it next week but was just wondering if i fail it again can i carry it into second year or will i have to repeat first year... am just abit nervous about it.

Hi Karina,

Assuming that this year is not an award year you will be able to carry one module in to your next year. This is the case for you.

You will simply progress and carry that module. You can attend lectures etc for that module for an additional fee or repeat externally (just sit the exam at the next available sitting) This sitting could be Christmas or Summer depending on when you first sat this exam in the first place.

If you're ever progressing from a level 6 to 7, level 7 to 8 or level 8 to 9 you must pass all your repeats in order to progress to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

Hi Kevin, heading to AIT tomorrow with my daughter trying to get accommodation, will there be anyone in the SU there to talk to and if so, where can we find you?
    Thanks,
    Karen

karen89 wrote: »
    Hi Kevin, heading to AIT tomorrow with my daughter trying to get accommodation, will there be anyone in the SU there to talk to and if so, where can we find you?
    Thanks,
    Karen

Hi Karen,

If you're coming today 20th August the office is due to close at 12pm. Apologies for this but all staff members and officers are attending meetings outside of the Insituite.

There is my phone number on the window of the Students' Union office if you want to phone me when you get there and I can talk you through the situation.

There will be maps, lists and information left out beside the office window for you to take away.

Also have a look at our website which has our housing and digs list under the accommodation tab and also a handy map.

www.aitsu.ie

• Advertisement

Just as an update,

Accomodation is now down to digs and individual houses. Our list will be updated fully by midday tomorrow. All apartment complexes near the college are now full.

If you're having trouble contact us on 0906468067 but check www.aitsu.ie too

Advertisement