Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Barcelona 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

catweazle wrote: »
    8:30 will be very tough for him - will he break an hour on the swim?

If he doesn't he will need to go well under 4:30 on the bike and run a sub 3 marathon if you include the two transitions

I'd say 1.05 is more realistic for the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

8:30 will be very tough for him - will he break an hour on the swim?

If he doesn't he will need to go well under 4:30 on the bike and run a sub 3 marathon if you include the two transitions

Going on his last 2 half's he will swim 60 give or take a couple mins.

Good pro's have gone 4:20 on bike there and I'd rate BMC as close to that. Say 4:25.

The man is running well and near his best it seems.
    He ran a 3:09 in Lanza off the 2nd fastest bike split.
    I think he's in 3hr shape if not 2:55.

Racing as pro has 2 advantages and 1 disadvantage imo.
    - clean short transitions
    - no AG in front for first bike lap.
    - negative being less swim draft

Transitions are a total of 3 mins last yr for pro's.

So I'd put my money around the 8:25-8:35 depending if all goes well and obv a lot can go wrong. Still a good 10mins to play with as well...

Here's hoping for a new Irish record...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fazz wrote: »

Good pro's have gone 4:20 on bike there and I'd rate BMC as close to that. Say 4:25.

So I'd put my money around the 8:25-8:35 depending if all goes well and obv a lot can go wrong. Still a good 10mins to play with as well...

Present record holder has put his money on an 8:15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    Isn't Eimear doing Mallorca also?

Saw this on Twitter earlier, she's racing Mallorca alright.

http://www.eimearmullan.com/blog

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

Top 5 last year all swam 49s and pretty much biked in a group aswell (4.25s).
    He hasn't really had to chase anyone this year(40km-ish in lost sheep), so it'll be interesting to see what the bike comes in at.
    Best of luck to him, I hope it all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Just took a bike box from local bike shop for IM Barcelona - sign? :P See you in Calella! ;)

image1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

He is going to have a 15-20min head start on Liam's record coming out of the swim, Liam is the first to admit his swim is crap relative to the other 2 disciplines.
    He will bike faster than Liam's 4:3x bike split simply because the course is faster than the one Liam tackled. Not much in them in the IM bike IMO, Liam has often out biked many pros in his races and held 40kmph over 200k in AD! Question is can BMC run a 3hr flat marathon, he is a bigger guy. He does not need to though, a 3.20 marathon for me and he will edge the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I actually think he will probably do a faster bike than that if he has no issues id have him in at around the 4.20 mark. His biking has improved since Lanzarote. His swim will be around the hour mark agreed and i have his run coming in at 3.05-3.10 mark so 8.30-8.35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

He is going to have a 15-20min head start on Liam's record coming out of the swim, Liam is the first to admit his swim is crap relative to the other 2 disciplines.
    He will bike faster than Liam's 4:3x bike split simply because the course is faster than the one Liam tackled. Not much in them in the IM bike IMO, Liam has often out biked many pros in his races and held 40kmph over 200k in AD! Question is can BMC run a 3hr flat marathon, he is a bigger guy. He does not need to though, a 3.20 marathon for me and he will edge the record.

Think you're comparing a diff swim result there.
    15-20min swim puts BMC at 47-52mins...

Dolan splits of current Irish Ironman Record:
    Swim - 1:07:xx
    Bike - 4:32
    Run - 3:00
    Transitions - 5:xx

BMC estimate:
    Swim : 1:00
    Bike - 4:20
    Transitions - 03:00

8:23 all going well unless he really unleashes on the bike.

If Liam has his money on an 8:15 then poss expects a sub 4:20 bike and sub 2:55 run!
    Just applying the pressure there I'd say ha but granted BMC is capable of those numbers all going well.

Be good to track next weekend.

Pro field not that strong it appears so could place very highly if all goes well. A lot entered though so who knows.

I wonder if Liam will be glued to the net or gone out for a long bike to reflect!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Think you're comparing a diff swim result there.
    15-20min swim puts BMC at 47-52mins...

Dolan splits of current Irish Ironman Record:
    Swim - 1:07:xx
    Bike - 4:32
    Transitions - 5:xx

BMC estimate:
    Swim : 1:00
    Bike - 4:20
    Transitions - 03:00

8:23 all going well unless he really unleashes on the bike.

If Liam has his money on an 8:15 then poss expects a sub 4:20 bike and sub 2:55 run!
    Just applying the pressure there I'd say ha but granted BMC is capable of those numbers all going well.

Be good to track next weekend.

Pro field not that strong it appears so could place very highly if all goes well. A lot entered though so who knows.

I wonder if Liam will be glued to the net or gone out for a long bike to reflect!

AFAIK Liam has moved on and tri monkeys are not only off his back but out the back in the sun eating bananas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Just took a bike box from local bike shop for IM Barcelona - sign? :P See you in Calella! ;)

image1.jpg

Well your bike is bound in Kona anyway :)

less then 36 hours to race time and I'm still sick as s** - in the end will have to take it discipline by discipline and hope my body holds up. Did any of you try drinking painkillers during a race if it gets ugly? I'm not a quitter so would like to have a backup plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Panadol is what physio told me to use during the race(I've knee problem) but its really how your stomach can handle them.

thx for the tip, just went for a quick spin and although I felt much better than yesterday after maybe just 20 mins of cycling my throat and head started killing me, hope tomorrow will be much better! :)

have a good race all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    thx for the tip, just went for a quick spin and although I felt much better than yesterday after maybe just 20 mins of cycling my throat and head started killing me, hope tomorrow will be much better! :)

have a good race all! :)

If you're staying in a hotel with air-con, don't switch it on, especially at night. It causes the symptoms you're describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of mechanical luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

1:02 start for BMc. Tracker a bit dodgy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Phenomenal bike splits, holding >42kph to the 147km marker and getting faster according to the tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

4hr 17 cycle - fabulous stuff!

Special mention to local girl Celia Davin - first non pro female out of the water, she's steaming the bike as well. That course must be super fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

4hr 17 cycle - fabulous stuff!

And a 55 second T2- jaysus you'd be happy with that in a Sprint!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

So needs to run a 3:22 or less for record, first 3k run split looks slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    And a 55 second T2- jaysus you'd be happy with that in a Sprint!

Last year and in 2012 when I did it they had the timing mat at the entrance to the changing tent. So marathon split included time changing .
    Notice how slow 1st run split is for all

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Peter doing well also. 53 then 4.39.

Super fast T2. That explains it!!!

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Peter doing well also. 53 then 4.39.

Super fast T2. That explains it!!!

He kept that quiet. Must be chasing that Kona slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

He kept that quiet. Must be chasing that Kona slot.

You must have missed this then;
    peter kern wrote: »
    Summery
    Very simple i am turning 40 next year and the world 70.3 world champs are for the first time in europe and i need some intermediate goal to get ready for the real goal.... i want to go to hawaii 2016 (and certainly not just to fill up the numbers for both events other wise i am not going to wast my money)

According to his most recent post he's exactly where he hoped to be entering T2. I fear he hasn't done enough running though, it's going to be interesting to see how his marathon goes.

zico10 wrote: »
    You must have missed this then;

According to his most recent post he's exactly where he hoped to be entering T2. I fear he hasn't done enough running though, it's going to be interesting to see how his marathon goes.
    Yep missed that one. Hopefully he nails it.

Eimear Mullan 5.50ish starting run. Any chance of breaking 9?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Seems like a super fast course. I think my aim of entering in January might be up in smoke. :)

Seems like a super fast course. I think my aim of entering in January might be up in smoke. :)

Flat bike and flat run. Still need to do the training to go super fast though ;). The Kona bike course is 1772m climbing over 180k. Throw in the heat and wind. Kona must be brutal. Can't wait till I get that lottery slot and become a world champion :)

• Advertisement

Flat bike and flat run. Still need to do the training to go super fast though ;). The Kona bike course is 1772m climbing over 180k. Throw in the heat and wind. Kona must be brutal. Can't wait till I get that lottery slot and become a world champion :)

Don't get Tunney started on te lottery system!!!!

Advertisement