Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Barcelona 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Don't get Tunney started on te lottery system!!!!

I think that's one thing we agree on T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

8.41.29 New Irish Record . Respect BMC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

8.41.29 New Irish Record . Respect BMC

He has not put it out of reach with that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

He has not put it out of reach with that time.

I think let's not rain on his parade. All that needs to be said now is congrats.

zico10 wrote: »
    I think let's not rain on his parade. All that needs to be said now is congrats.

Raining on his parade, really? Don't be silly. It's a great time but it leaves the record dangling out there, I was expecting he would go 8:20 and put it out of touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Eimear Mullan 8.56 and change ! Chapeau !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

And PK in with an 8.57

Incredible performance !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Good job all!!!

I'll be entering this tomorrow for next year!!

I didn't want to be rushing into anything either, but I must say it's very tempting.

I didn't want to be rushing into anything either, but I must say it's very tempting.

It's a fast course, nice area and easy/cheap to get in/out of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

An 8:50 from mouse McAndrew as well, great stuff!

Some of the bike times have me in shock - would have thought they weren't capable of that pace for an Olympic distance let alone an Ironman

It's a fast course, nice area and easy/cheap to get in/out of

You're not making it any harder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fran. Stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Good job all!!!

Don't you will get crazy I was on the point of a nervous breakdown
    Sub 9 guys in packs of 60 double sometimes 1 meter distance
    Next year I jump in the water 8 min later and join the ironman group ride .

Still not unhappy and I risked it goi. Sub 8.50 and saved a sub 9 ( and I am proud of that as there was some bad patches - as usual in a 9 hour race :)

Anyway project 42 it is I believe I have a slot but won't take it
    Bryan deserves that record as a for first 90 k on it's ow no the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

catweazle wrote: »
    An 8:50 from mouse McAndrew as well, great stuff!

Some of the bike times have me in shock - would have thought they weren't capable of that pace for an Olympic distance let alone an Ironman

They were not. By all accounts the less than pointy end of AG racing was a farce. Packs of 30. Pi$$ poor cyclists riding sub five.

well done Peter, nice result. Good racing by the two new record holders too!

peter kern wrote: »
    Don't you will get crazy I was on the point of a nervous breakdown
    Sub 9 guys in packs of 60 double sometimes 1 meter distance
    Next year I jump in the water 8 min later and join the ironman group ride .

Still not unhappy and I risked it goi. Sub 8.50 and saved a sub 9 ( and I am proud of that as there was some bad patches - as usual in a 9 hour race :)

Anyway project 42 it is I believe I have a slot but won't take it
    Bryan deserves that record as a for first 90 k on it's ow no the bike

So the drafting was obvious up the front too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cracking stuff from BMC & Emu.

Congrats Peter. Great going today.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

As a mark of respect for those that trained hard all year and have the power files to show clean racing. Shove your belittling comments......

Boardcore wrote: »
    As a mark of respect for those that trained hard all year and have the power files to show clean racing. Shove your belittling comments.......

???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Looks like they are dropping the Kona slots next year down to 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

now this was a nice race :) People were amazing, a bunch of Irish around me ;) Course was really nice, flat and fast...

For me everything went better than expected too. In the waters I was quite fine until 2 km mark or so when I started to fight for air a bit (my throat started hurting). I did lose some time but managed to get it at least under 1:20 (1:10 was original goal). Now the bike - I didn't have a clue what to expect. Although I'm lousy cyclist coach was expected bike to be done around 5:30 mark, but not that I was just skeptical, the day before the race I couldn't bike 30 mins so I was quite surprised with >30 km/h pace after 90 km. Unfortunately, Septolete were helping but not as much as I would like and I went down the bike after something like 6:02. This was still all ok since me official goal for the year was 13 hours, and before the race (since I knew I'm faster than that + doing the race on flat course) was 12 h. I started with something like 5:00 min/km, event went 10 sec faster for first 6 km or so, but then realized that I won't be able to withhold the pace. I started coughing so I dropped it to something like 5:20-5:30 and decided to bring it home under 12 hours. Chit-chatted with few people on my way and finished after 11:38 hours. Now that was a moment for memories. Unfortunately, ended up in medical tent, but I was soon as good as new :) I'll have a proper rest of the vacation (my only true fan, wife, deserves it) and I'll write a bit detailed review after that.

As for lottery - as an old poker guy I don't think it's a bad idea to have a bit of a gamble in any sport. If I was to get it I would certainly accept it and make a nice vacation with wife and friends (they already signed up for it), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't continue to push and get the spot the only appropriate way (Although that will take some time)

As my coach told me once - everybody who sticks to the sports and have the determination, will get it at some stage. Just have to keep pounding the miles! ;)

???

Lots of Irish 6 hour bikers biked sub five, 7 hours doing 6, etc. Massive drafting.
    Have a lot at the Irish results. Look at their last race results, and then Barcelona. >1hr difference, safe to say drafting a strong chance then.

Boardcore wrote: »
    As a mark of respect for those that trained hard all year and have the power files to show clean racing. Shove your belittling comments......

I notice a lack of a link to a power file...........

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

tunney wrote: »
    Lots of Irish 6 hour bikers biked sub five, 7 hours doing 6, etc. Massive drafting.
    Have a lot at the Irish results. Look at their last race results, and then Barcelona. >1hr difference, safe to say drafting a strong chance then.

Tunney, seriously enough of your disparaging comments. Guys, me included trained hard for this event. Your needless, pointless and down right disrespectful comments are uncalled for.

Is it jealousy? Do you want to be always controversial? Or have you lacked manners all your life?

You have no idea what training people put in.
    Was there drafting on the bike leg? Yes there was but it doesn't mean guys on here partook in it.

If you want to question performances, then question them but with direct questions and not pointed ones.

Question my bike all you like, but I know I have the answers. Do I need to answer to you though? No I don't nor does anyone on here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

By all accounts almost 1/4 of the race was Irish, I heard that there was 240 or so travelled out for Barcelona. That is some turnout in fairness.

Tunney hasn't questioned anyone in particulars bike time? Not sure why there's an immediate jump of defense?
    If it was me and I hadn't drafted I wouldn't have anything to prove, my only response would be to confirm that there was a lot of drafting in the race and I did my best to avoid getting swallowed up by it....

Getting defensive makes you sound suspicious is all I'm saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Tunney hasn't questioned anyone in particulars bike time? Not sure why there's an immediate jump of defense?
    If it was me and I hadn't drafted I wouldn't have anything to prove, my only response would be to confirm that there was a lot of drafting in the race and I did my best to avoid getting swallowed up by it....

Getting defensive makes you sound suspicious is all I'm saying...

RQ, suggest you re read my post. I'm not getting defensive at all.
    What I am questioning is why Tunney always feels he has to belittle people's performances in here. Always wants to be controversial.

Least he could do is allow guys time to revel in their achievement.

Just saying .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 triboy

Firstly well done to the record holders.

I just don't know what to think about the bike times on this course.

I would expect anyone that could do close to a 1hr swim and a sub 5hr bike or close to 5 hr bike would be such a rounded athlete that they could run at least 3hrs 40/45. But there are plenty of people who achieved this yet post 4hrs 30+ and even 5 hr runs.

Is the bike course just really that easy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

True, bike course is one of the easier ones, not the easiest I've seen but still... There was drafting, of course it was and there always will be on the 2k+ people race. It seemed a lot better than at some races I've been to, probably because there were a bunch of marshals - it was certainly better than Ironman 70.3 Dublin IMO and while I get the frustration of some when they see others cheating (because drafting is nothing else than pure cheating and I do understand it) I would agree that 90% of posts from certain members of this forum are either needless, pointless or just disrespectful and uncalled for (especially right after the race when people are celebrating their achievements). Also, while I really enjoy sarcasm and irony some times/places just aren't for it and I don't understand why others stay on their defensive side (probably because the sarcasm/irony guys are really nice people in real life, but still...)

While some (probably more than a few) performances are questionable, some did train for this event specifically and got the best out of it in the end (my best HIM this year was over 5:30, that means I couldn't do 11:38 for full?). I was never on a defensive side because I feel that everything I do is quite transparent (one of the reasons I have online blog is because I want my training to be consistent and transparent, for me not others) and one day I'll be able to look at my results, images and posts and be proud of them. If I was to cheat in any way, well, not that sure (also the reason why I don't get those guys/ladies).

Advertisement