Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this network even possible

Options
  • 11-08-2015 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi there!
    I'm about to set up a LAN at home on the farm for about 4ip cameras,
    2 for security and 2 "calving cameras" to monitor calving animals without having to trek outside in deepest darkest winter!!

I need to be able to access the ipcameras from 2 houses; my house and my parents house, both about 200m from the yard in different directions.

my proposed setup is to run a point to point wireless bridge from my home router to a network switch in the yard, and have all the cameras connected to this switch. then to run a second point to point wiress bridge from that switch to my parents home router.

*---my house
    yard
    parents hse--*
    internet-router1-bridge1-(switch+cameras)-bridge2-router2-interent

my worry is that this will leave a network Which has 2 routers and 2 seperate internet connections :eek:

is this even possible? how do i stop both routers trying to "manage" the network and can i avoid connecting my home computer to my parents internet connection and visa versa?

i could avoid the bridge to my parents house and have them access the cameras over the internet instead, but i'm concerned the uplink speed from my internet connection would be too slow for good quality picture, so if it was possible over a local network that'd be fab:)

any insights woud be welcome! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

loads of ways

your 1st plan :
    *---my house
    yard
    parents hse--*
    internet-router1-bridge1-(switch+cameras)-bridge2-router2-interent

put your house network on another ip range ( say 192.168.10.0 - 192.168.10.255 )

put a little router in between (switch+cameras) and "bridge1"

...... this sort of yoke :

http://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-RB-750-Mini-Router/dp/B004EI0EG4

( it can do a "little magic" for you )

ask more b4 you buy anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

Thanks for the reply gctest50!
    cool to know its possible!
    would the solution of putting my home network on 192.168.10.xxx be creating a subnet? need to change subnet mask to 255.255.0.0?
    i'm trying to learn as much as i can about this stuff, the most complicated network i've set up to date is adding a wirelss printer!

i'm not sure what the purpose of the extra router is between the (swithch and cameras) and (bridge 1) is?

i thought i might assign static ip's to the switch, routers and bridges so that
    my home router = 192.168.10.1
    bridge 1 = 192.168.10..2 + 192.168.10..3
    switch= 192.168.10.4
    cameras= 192.168.10.5/6/7/8
    bridge2=192.168.10..9 + 192.168.10.10

then plug the end of the bridge 192.168.10.10 into a lan port in my parents router 192.168.1.1

my real query is if i plug a new device into either router how will it be assigned a ip (DHCP)
    also i assume the subnet mask on my parents router will have to be changed to 255.255.0.0 so that
    communications meant for 192.168.10.x dont get confused with 192.168.1.x

also i'm guessing my routers "default gateway" should be set to 192.168.10.1
    and my parents "default gateway" should be 192.168.1.1
    in order that we keep our interent conncetions seperate!
    Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

You are over complicating this. Simply, You need to join the networks by adding a router like suggested above. That's what a router does, it learns about the networks connected directly to it and routes between them. You need to change the lan ip of one of the networks so they are both different subnets, ie change a router lan IP from 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.10.xxx and reboot, no change to the subnet as they will both be independent networks. Then all you need to do on this new router is set a DHCP client in the two interfaces you're using, so it can get an ip through DHCP from each of the networks, it will then know how to route between them.

Advertisement