Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice/funny/unusual things observed in Dublin

Options
  • 12-08-2015 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I was sitting in the car park in Stillorgan Shopping Centre this afternoon and in front of me a woman in a black 98 D Fiesta was reversing into one of the roads. On the other side of the road was a woman in a 15 MH silver Peugeot, also reversing. Whack! The two of them drove back into their parking spaces, got out, walked to each other and the older woman gave the younger woman a kiss on the cheek, they said a few words to each other, hugged and parted without exchanging any insurance details. The older woman got in the car, and the woman in the Peugeot stood and directed her out of the space. And they both went their separate ways.

Civilisation.

What nice/funny/unusual things have you seen in Dublin lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'd be suspecting an insurance fraud set-up. Collisions by arrangement.

Everyone should reverse into parking spaces, of course: that way driving out to exit is much safer and quicker for everyone concerned and for other drivers and pedestrians too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The original post was observant. The cynical and probably true response to it was funny. Both a day in the life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

katemarch wrote: »
    I'd be suspecting an insurance fraud set-up. Collisions by arrangement.

You're tough! :D (The older woman in the Fiesta was at least in her mid-70s so I'd say she has more to be thinking about than compo - ah but sure aren't they the worst, the cynics say!:p).

On one of my last visits to Stillorgan SC, I had the pleasure of an elderly lady in a hat looking at me as I reversed into a space. I jumped out of the car and she started "Young man, has nobody taught you how to drive?". hehe. "This will be good" I immediately thought.

She then pointed in disapproval at my position in the car space. I had to explain to her, in the third person, that there was an elegant elderly lady in a lovely hat behind me as I was reversing so I deliberately parked to the extremity of the space to allow her to access her front seat. She decided nonetheless to tell me about how in her day they all had to learn to drive properly. I could only agree with her about how there's no hope for the youth today and I pointed to all the time they spend on that internet thing rather than learning how to drive properly. We then had a discussion about the pressures on young people and how she was nothing short of blessed to have grown up in the Ireland she grew up in. I eventually got a smile out of her and off I went. hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I've been walking around Dublin these past few weeks looking for accommodation and the first truly strange occurrence happened yesterday.

I was on my way to my second scheduled viewing, when a cyclist who was waiting at a red light started talking... Pretty loudly. He was saying something about "looking after yourself"? I thought he was on the phone, but when I looked up from my phone, he was looking right at me.

He said in a kind of half-shout "The guardai are scheming with the insurance companies!". At the point, I hadn't a CLUE want the hell he was hoping to achieve by saying this to me. I then walked away, puzzled at this man who seemed more complicated than a rubix cube with pieces of scrabble letters glued to it. As I left, he shouted, in an octave higher than before, "TAKE CARE!", and I left it at that.

If there ever was a method to his madness, I'll never know. I assumed he might have had tourettes syndrome, but I've never heard of someone with that condition making fully coherent sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I observed a zebra crossing in the Italian Quarter. If Dublin was down the country every second street would have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

a fat guy wrote: »
    I've been walking around Dublin these past few weeks looking for accommodation and the first truly strange occurrence happened yesterday.

I was on my way to my second scheduled viewing, when a cyclist who was waiting at a red light started talking... Pretty loudly. He was saying something about "looking after yourself"? I thought he was on the phone, but when I looked up from my phone, he was looking right at me.

He said in a kind of half-shout "The guardai are scheming with the insurance companies!". At the point, I hadn't a CLUE want the hell he was hoping to achieve by saying this to me. I then walked away, puzzled at this man who seemed more complicated than a rubix cube with pieces of scrabble letters glued to it. As I left, he shouted, in an octave higher than before, "TAKE CARE!", and I left it at that.

If there ever was a method to his madness, I'll never know. I assumed he might have had tourettes syndrome, but I've never heard of someone with that condition making fully coherent sentences.

Well now I know what I'll be rambling to strangers next time I'm stuck at a red light on the bike...

I was at the till with the baby in not-so-Super Valu yesterday and there was a man in his thirties or forties there helping with the packing.

Him (looking at the baby): She's very big. Is she from the countryside?

Me (intrigued, with a smile): Nah. Why do you say that?

Him: Well, they have more oxygen in the countryside so children grow bigger quicker.

Me (sincere tone): Really. That's very interesting. I never knew that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I was at the till with the baby in not-so-Super Valu yesterday and there was a man in his thirties or forties there helping with the packing.

Him (looking at the baby): She's very big. Is she from the countryside?

Me (intrigued, with a smile): Nah. Why do you say that?

Him: Well, they have more oxygen in the countryside so children grow bigger quicker.

Me (sincere tone): Really. That's very interesting. I never knew that.

I'm totally gonna walk around trollin the **** outta people with comments like that.

Dunno why trolls have to stay online :D

Advertisement