Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap restaurant in central Dublin?

Options
  • 12-08-2015 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

So my friend and I are meeting up in Dublin in two weeks and we're looking for a nice restaurant for lunch that isn't expensive. In Paris you can get a three course meal for €10. Is there some place similar in Dublin? We're hoping to pay around €10 or less for the main course.

We don't have any particular preferences but it has to be easily accessible from the train or Luas stations. Or within walking distance.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

You can get a three course meal for €10 in Paris??
    Not a chance in Ireland, never mind Dublin.
    You'll get a sandwich for less than €10 alright. A nice little place for a sandwich is Mes Amis on Abbey St.

You'll probably get a recommendation for Carlos on O Connell St, they do two courses for €10 I think, but I wouldn't recommend there, the service is awful and the food not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

you'll be looking at a chinese buffet at that price.
    Maybe check some of the groupon style sites that may have a nice lunch for 2 around the €25 mark if you're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭DonnaMarieAva

whiskeyman wrote: »
    you'll be looking at a chinese buffet at that price.
    Maybe check some of the groupon style sites that may have a nice lunch for 2 around the €25 mark if you're lucky.

Groupon is a really good idea. I'll check that out. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

In Paris you can get a three course meal for €10.

I think you missed a zero? You'd be lucky to get a drink for €10 in Paris.

Anyway, I'd recommend PHX Bistro.

http://www.phxbistro.com/#!lunch-menu/c1ktu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

There's a few places on South Great George's St that do decent specials - South St is one example. If you like curry (I know not everyone does) then the Madina Desi on Mary St is pretty good value too. Alternatively you could try somewhere in the Epicurean Food Hall, near the Ha'penny Bridge. It's a more open dining experience than in a restaurant but there's some great value grub to be had there in a variety of styles.

• Advertisement

http://www.phxbistro.com/#!lunch-menu/c1ktu

Ha ha I'm being serious! On Rue St. Michel in the Latin Quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A bit out of town, but not far from Grand Canal Dock or Lansdowne dart station - http://www.keshk.ie/ Beside Baggot St. bridge.

Their mains are a wee bit above a tenner, but seriously, their starters are huge and the food is GORGEOUS.

Some of the best value grub in Dublin, IMO.

While I think €10 is pushing it alright Paris isn't that expensive a place to eat out in, as opposed to drinking which costs an arm & a leg. Plenty of restos around Montmartre where you can get a decent meal - soupe a l'oignon, coq au vin, etc washed down with a demi-litre of Chateau de Plonc for less than €20. Nothing fancy of course but does the job. It's the pints afterwards that will kill the Irish tourist, especially if they drink at the same rate as at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eass82

Can recommend Alfie's on South William Street. Starter and main for a tenner.

http://www.alfies.ie/lunch-menu/

If your looking for something slightly different, you can get a carvery lunch in Diceys/Coppers/D2 on Harcourt Street for around the €7 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Phx bistro as mentioned. Brasserie 7. Gallaher and co have a 2 lunches for 10 deal on grabone at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Green 19 is pretty decent http://green19.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

From Mexico to Rome does a 2 course meal for €9.95 between 12 and 4, I think. It's in Temple Bar and it's decent food. If you can eat in that time I highly recommend it, it's filling and pretty tasty. I'm no connoisseur or anything, but I do appreciate good value

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think Beeftro on Balfe Street does some good lunchtime deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,321 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Chez Max have a "Plat du Jour" that changes daily for just under €10.
    If you don't fancy the special, they have a range of tartines and salades for approx €8
    http://www.chezmax.ie/palace/menu/

They have restaurants on Baggot Street and beside Dublin Castle (the one beside Dublin Castle has a small outside area).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

McDonalds?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,321 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sagaar Indian restaurant located on Harcourt Street (if you brave the steps down...)

Credit Crunch lunch available Monday-Fridays for €9.55
    Poppadums & Dips | Starter | Main Course | Side Vegetables | Rice & Naan Bread

http://saagarindianrestaurants.com/home/special-offers/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

From Mexico to Rome does a 2 course meal for €9.95 between 12 and 4, I think. It's in Temple Bar and it's decent food. If you can eat in that time I highly recommend it, it's filling and pretty tasty. I'm no connoisseur or anything, but I do appreciate good value

Was just about to suggest here, their lunch menu is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mrsgiller

Cactus jacks on millennium,walk way do a lovely lunch menu €10 for lots of main couses or 3 tapas for €10

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Sagaar Indian restaurant located on Harcourt Street (if you brave the steps down...)

Credit Crunch lunch available Monday-Fridays for €9.55
    Poppadums & Dips | Starter | Main Course | Side Vegetables | Rice & Naan Bread

http://saagarindianrestaurants.com/home/special-offers/

I just checked them out and I think that's the one we'll go for!

Thank you and everyone for your suggestions :-)

Bon appetit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Check out govindas. There is photos of some of their dishes on tripadvisor if you want to check their fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,936 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Custardpi wrote: »
    While I think €10 is pushing it alright Paris isn't that expensive a place to eat out in, as opposed to drinking which costs an arm & a leg. Plenty of restos around Montmartre where you can get a decent meal - soupe a l'oignon, coq au vin, etc washed down with a demi-litre of Chateau de Plonc for less than €20. Nothing fancy of course but does the job. It's the pints afterwards that will kill the Irish tourist, especially if they drink at the same rate as at home.

Feckin robbers regarding the drink.
    Five of us on a visit sat outside a pub near the Eiffel Tower. I went in and ordered 5 pints and I got 2.50 out of a 50 euro note.
    Same drink costs 17.50 in my local.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Actually, calling it restaurant is a bit of a stretch - but if you're open to a burrito bar - there's always Boojum. €6,50 for a burrito + drink if you have a student card, IIRC €7,65 without. It's about as cheap as you can get for really nice burritos.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

I just checked them out and I think that's the one we'll go for!

Thank you and everyone for your suggestions :-)

Taste of Everest on Baggot St. have a similar deal for €9.50

Neon also do any main for €10 at lunch, Zakura and Opium also do great food for around a tenner at lunch. All on Camden/Wexford St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Wow, lots of great suggestions, following this thread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Taste of Everest on Baggot St. have a similar deal for €9.50

Very much enjoyed the last meal I had there. Sometimes you worry about these places with cheap deals but it was very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Having seen an above poster recommend Opium, that would be my top tip for a good lunch. I think they do a main plus a drink for a set price. And it's very tasty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    A bit out of town, but not far from Grand Canal Dock or Lansdowne dart station - http://www.keshk.ie/ Beside Baggot St. bridge.

Their mains are a wee bit above a tenner, but seriously, their starters are huge and the food is GORGEOUS.

Some of the best value grub in Dublin, IMO.

All the mains appear to be over €16 on the dinner menu. Do people consider that cheap nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All the mains appear to be over €16 on the dinner menu. Do people consider that cheap nowadays?

I was looking at the lunch menu.

OP was asking about lunch - mains are nearly all €12.50 on the lunch menu, which for the food you get I'd consider not bad value. Starters are all well under a tenner, which IMO is definitely good value!

Cheap does not necessarily equal value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

Go to Diceys on Harcourt St. €5 if you have a student card 6.20 without it. Its a carvery and the portions are massive, brilliant feed. The food is nice and all the "suits" who work nearby always eat there. Place does be wedged.

Another old haunt of mine is the Ripley Court Hotel on Talbot St. Big enough portions also and anywhere between €7-9.50 for lunch. Theres bargains to be had food wise in Dublin, it can be cheaper eating out in Dublin City Centre than down the country.

Advertisement