Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor and motherboard question

Options
  • 12-08-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Will this processor and ram work with this motherboard?

Intel Core i7-5930K
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB ddr3

MSI Z97 GAMING 5 S1150 Intel Z97 DDR3 ATX

Just concerned as it's my 1st build and just read that the processor requires an x99 motherboard and ddr4 memory :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Correct, needs an X99 board and DDR4.

Unless you're doing some professional level editing you could drop the CPU to an i7 4000 series and still have a seriously powerful card

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Thanks for the quick response, changed to an i7-4790.

Is this a gaming machine or editing/cad?

A gaming machine, specs..

NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case
    MSI Z97 GAMING 5 S1150 motherboard
    Intel Core i7-4790
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB ram
    MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8GB Twin Frozr
    Corsair 750W CX Builder Series 80PLUS Bronze PSU
    Sandisk 120GB SSD Plus

You're a bit overkill on the CPU and RAM if its purely gaming, an i5 is plenty, with 8gb RAM for most games. Star Citizen is one exception to the RAM rule, just to be aware you could save a few euro.

You'll also only need a 500w PSU, all the spec pages claiming you need 750w have to take crappy PSUs into account, a Corsair, Fractal, SeaSonic or BeQuiet 500w is plenty for you :)

• Advertisement

Yeah originally went with some lower spec parts like psu and less ram but wanted to future proof a little. At some point I'll be replacing the gpu also.

Had Star Citizen in mind when putting it together too :)

Advertisement