Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant #1 leaving mid- month; tenant #2 gone home for month

Options
  • 12-08-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I'm having trouble with two tenants, both six- month, Fixed Term Tenancies. Rent is collected on a monthly basis.

Tenant #1 is leaving the property, mid- month, with two weeks left on their lease. As they won't be in the property for the remaining two weeks of the lease, they seem to be of the opinion that they are not liable for the full month's rent and only have to pay a half- month's rent. As such, they are refusing to pay the full month's rent, to which they paid for each previous calendar month and to which they agreed to pay when they signed their tenancy agreement.

Tenant #2 went home to their native country for the entire month of July and, despite signing a six- month, Fixed Term Tenancy in May and despite all their personal possessions still occupying their room and common areas in the house, the tenant is refusing to pay rent for that month, arguing that they were not in the house for the month of July and, therefore, not liable to pay rent for that month.

Any help or suggestions? Links to PTRB resources, online, would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Are the tenants in another property you own or lodgers in your own home?

If they're lodgers, then turf them both out and be glad you're shot of them.

If they're tenants, then pray to all your Gods that they both actually leave, even if you're down a few quid. You should do nothing to hinder them leaving. They are trouble and you want rid of them. Once they are gone, then you can lodge your PRTB complaint etc.

The priority here is to get these awful tenants out of your property and screen better next time (GENUINE references from old landlords, not the current one, proof they can pay the rent, payslips, bank statements etc.). You are likely never going to get the lost rent to which you are fully entitled...great system, eh? Get them out smoothly, get new tenants in and lodge your complaint with the PRTB so these characters names at least get recorded somewhere...then move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Tenant 1: deduct from the deposit

Tenant 2: issue notice of rent arrears

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

CousinCoat wrote: »
    So I'm having trouble with two tenants, both six- month, Fixed Term Tenancies. Rent is collected on a monthly basis.

Tenant #1 is leaving the property, mid- month, with two weeks left on their lease. As they won't be in the property for the remaining two weeks of the lease, they seem to be of the opinion that they are not liable for the full month's rent and only have to pay a half- month's rent. As such, they are refusing to pay the full month's rent, to which they paid for each previous calendar month and to which they agreed to pay when they signed their tenancy agreement.

Tenant #2 went home to their native country for the entire month of July and, despite signing a six- month, Fixed Term Tenancy in May and despite all their personal possessions still occupying their room and common areas in the house, the tenant is refusing to pay rent for that month, arguing that they were not in the house for the month of July and, therefore, not liable to pay rent for that month.

Any help or suggestions? Links to PTRB resources, online, would be helpful.

My mind actually boggles that there are people who think that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

awec wrote: »

"Hello Bank Manager? Yeah I was holidays last month so I'm not paying the mortgage."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Or a cheeky enough to try it on. (I'll wager that most know better, but give it a go anyway.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CousinCoat wrote: »
    Do they rent the rooms, or the house? If the house, ensure tenant #2 knows that they'll be liable for the full whack. If by the room, different ball game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

the_syco wrote: »
    Do they rent the rooms, or the house? If the house, ensure tenant #2 knows that they'll be liable for the full whack. If by the room, different ball game.

Not really. Their stuff was still in the room, they were still renting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not really. Their stuff was still in the room, they were still renting it.
    Oh? I thought there was a difference between in rights between renting the house out with others (and thus jointly liable for the rent), and renting per room?

Advertisement