Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing script

• 12-08-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey everyone well done on results. Was a bit Dissapointed with my geography result. Anyone know about viewing scripts? When is it and even if you challenge it and get points will I be allowed into my course

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You should have gotten a sheet with your results to register to have them viewed.

The 28th and 29th August I believe, and if you get the minimum points you're guaranteed a place afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

You should have gotten a sheet with your results to register to have them viewed.

The 28th and 29th August I believe, and if you get the minimum points you're guaranteed a place afaik

If I got 450 and need 460, got a subject checked and went up 15 points I'd get my course?

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    If I got 450 and need 460, got a subject checked and went up 15 points I'd get my course?

Because aren't offers on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Leitrim96 wrote: »

Yeah in October when they release the results of the appeals if you go up and have the points for hte course they have to offer you a spot either to transfer straight away or next year

Kremin wrote: »
    Yeah in October when they release the results of the appeals if you go up and have the points for hte course they have to offer you a spot either to transfer straight away or next year

Ah I see, thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I should have applied to view scripts while I was at school. Now I'll have to see if it's open on normal weekdays. Would love to see my English papers and how the hell I managed that A1 in French.

I haven't been on this forum in a while but congrats to everyone with their results! As usual, Boards have a high standard lol.

Edit: I just realised I'm in holidays when we can review them. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 maracuja

My brother wants to view his physics script. He didn't go in to get his results, he checked them online. Will this form show up in the post at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

maracuja wrote: »
    My brother wants to view his physics script. He didn't go in to get his results, he checked them online. Will this form show up in the post at some point?

I would confidently say that he'll get the form with the results. They're in a brown envelope which has the address of the student on them, so both papers will be mailed to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

maracuja wrote: »

It will depend on how efficient his school is at sending out the results. Give them a ring in the morning and ask about the form. He can have it posted out or it could be handier to drop in and fill it in on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Is mise John

I'm thinking of appealing HL English and HL Irish. Does anyone know if the results for these two subjects often go up during the appeals ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm thinking of appealing HL English and HL Irish. Does anyone know if the results for these two subjects often go up during the appeals ?

Some do, most don't.
    By far the best chance of a change in grade is if you spot a mis-tot on your marks at the viewing.

Ya forget about what percentage of a particular subject get upgraded. There are a load of factors. English/Irish/Maths can appear to have way more upgrades when it is reported in October but given that they are the compulsory subjects more people are doing them, so proportionately they will have more appeals.

Loads of students go to view their scripts convinced that they should have got the B3 in French/English/Construction etc and when they sit down to look at the paper they see that the C2 they actually got was what they deserved because they didn't answer the question that was asked/ what they wrote on the day was absolute rubbish/ they left out part of a question they were convinced they answered (this is actually more common than you'd think).

I view scripts with my students every year, all of them convinced they deserved more, but 80-90% of those got the grade they deserved.

Send it back if there was an addition error, or send it back if there is something solid in the marking scheme which you wrote in your paper and for which you did not receive marks. Otherwise don't bother.

One other thing, check all of the answers on the paper, not just the ones you didn't get marks for. Addition errors can occur the other way too where a student receives too many marks and a grade higher than they should have. No point sending it back for an extra 5 marks that might bring you up to the next grade, if when it is added up that you are going to be deducted 10 and end up 5 marks lower than where you started, and end up with the same grade and €40 less in your pocket.

The amount of students that just send scripts back without checking if it is worth sending back is astounding, just looking for 'a general recheck'. Many students are under the impression that if they send it back for appeal, that it will magically be upgraded because they protested. Doesn't work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Can someone here answer my question?

Basically I got a really unexpected A1 in HL English that has baffled me so I want to review my script to see where I went right.

But I've heard that your English teacher must be present while viewing your script? Is there any way to avoid this? I mean my personal essay was very very personal, so I'd like for no one else to read it and also I don't want to bring her in as it may look like I'm bragging, because obviously I'm not going to appeal for it to be corrected as I received the highest mark possible, I just want to see how my marks totted up to 90%!

Thanks

Benm123 wrote: »
    Can someone here answer my question?

Basically I got a really unexpected A1 in HL English that has baffled me so I want to review my script to see where I went right.

But I've heard that your English teacher must be present while viewing your script? Is there any way to avoid this? I mean my personal essay was very very personal, so I'd like for no one else to read it and also I don't want to bring her in as it may look like I'm bragging, because obviously I'm not going to appeal for it to be corrected as I received the highest mark possible, I just want to see how my marks totted up to 90%!

Thanks

You can view your script on your own. The only person that has to be present is the student that wrote the paper, which is you. It's your choice if you want someone to be there with you and they won't be there unless you ask them to be there because they won't know you applied to view your script. Teacher's aren't given that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

Can somebody help me,For the application to view scripts,In section C were it says paper,Do you have to write I+II for English,Irish etc?

thanks!

kcera wrote: »
    Can somebody help me,For the application to view scripts,In section C were it says paper,Do you have to write I+II for English,Irish etc?

thanks!

I think English 1+2 come as a pair anyway. Same with Irish. Can't do any harm to write 1&2 anyway and you'll get them both, even if you don't want to see both.

Advertisement