Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2015 Results thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

expiiplus1 wrote:
    580 - I'm feeling slightly sick. I was expecting 615 at worst. Instead I got A1s in my worst subjects and a B1 in maths. Is it possible that they made a clerical error and put an A1 down as a B1?
    honestly i've never heard it happen, but maybe? Definitely review it? Why are you so distraught over 580? What course do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Troxck wrote: »
    I'm so glad everyone on here is happy!

It's so weird that that's the last time I'll be in my school!

Not all of us are happy, I'm happy for everyone else though

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

honestly i've never heard it happen, but maybe? Definitely review it? Why are you so distraught over 580? What course do you want?

It might just about pride when you're talking about the difference between 580 and 615. Unless it's medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

ecoste wrote: »
    How much did you need?

450, got 370 wasn't accepted for DARE or HEAR

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carrie1884

Congratulations to everyone, even if you didn't get what you want, you got through the LC!

If you have any doubts over a grade, definitely at least view it, rechecking might get you your course.

5A1's and 2A2's, unbelievably delighted. Needed 530 for my course which was all I was aiming for! Can't believe A1 in HL maths, a bit disappointed in A2 in irish but sure what can you do.

Good luck for Monday erryoooone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    580 - I'm feeling slightly sick. I was expecting 615 at worst. Instead I got A1s in my worst subjects and a B1 in maths. Is it possible that they made a clerical error and put an A1 down as a B1?

Clerical mistakes do happen occasionally. Not so much writing a B1 down as an A1 but there has been scripts I've checked with simple calculation errors. I've seen 270 incorrectly totted as 240. I've seen a Physics paper where one whole question wasn't added to the tally. It's rare but my advice is that you've spent 5 years preparing for this. You deserve to be able to look at your scripts and see how you got on. Bring in a calculator, add everything up and just give yourself piece of mind. You won't have the opportunity again and it's free to have a look :)

For those who aren't happy it's a tough day but you are all young...repeating or finding other avenues into careers seem horrible options today but you'll be 40 years in a job so take the time to try again if you have too or chat to guidance teachers about alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

450, got 370 wasn't accepted for DARE or HEAR

I hope something works out for you spartacus. You were extremely hard-working during the year and I'm sure something will turn up.
    Now forget about the damn Leaving Cert for today and go and enjoy your night :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK at LC, the marks are transmitted to Athlone as marks, not grades, so it would be impossible for an A1 to be written as a B1.

Totting mistakes are always a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

I'm planning on studying maths at university. I was planning on trying to transfer to Oxford next year. They look at letter grades instead of points.
    Also I represented Ireland at the IMO, so getting a B1 seems... impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 k88

480 in the mocks, thought I'd just about get 510.. Got 555, I am over the moon. A's in Art and English were a lovely surprise! My course was 515 last year so hoping for good news on Monday!
    Hope everyone else is as happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

Hey, I've got a question.

I got a D2 in maths, but a D1 in physics. Do I consider maths as my better subject as it has 75 points, or do I consider physics as it is the better grade.

Please tell me it's the 75 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 QuiteHumerus

You count whichever gives you more points

You count whichever gives you more points

Are you 100% sure? I've heard both accounts.

Absolutely 100% sure

Absolutely 100% sure

Cheers mate

Quarks wrote:
    Cheers mate

No problem :-) Hope it means you get the course you want

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

I got 430, happy enough but course last year was 460 so I'll have to settle for at least my 4th choice hopefully. Disappointed with Irish I'm fluent, got an A2 in the mocks and only got a B3. Also disappointed with a c1 in biology. Otherwise I'm happy. Great results coming from everybody congrats!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

gracew wrote: »
    I got 430, happy enough but course last year was 460 so I'll have to settle for at least my 4th choice hopefully. Disappointed with Irish I'm fluent, got an A2 in the mocks and only got a B3. Also disappointed with a c1 in biology. Otherwise I'm happy. Great results coming from everybody congrats!

I would be having a look at a B3 paper from a fluent candidate. Do you remember doing anything daft like leaving out a question?
    Costs nothing to book to have a look at the papers.

spurious wrote: »
    I would be having a look at a B3 paper from a fluent candidate. Do you remember doing anything daft like leaving out a question?
    Costs nothing to book to have a look at the papers.

I completed the paper, was expecting a B1 at least. It's rumoured in the past couple of years examiners are notified when correcting an Irish exam of which comes from a candidate attending an Irish school. Definitely going to appeal it!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I completed the paper, was expecting a B1 at least. It's rumoured in the past couple of years examiners are notified when correcting an Irish exam of which comes from a candidate attending an Irish school. Definitely going to appeal it!

That can't be true? The examiner is only supposed to know your number, nothing else about you?

Does anyone know how often grades go up after getting appealed in subjects like geography?

• Advertisement

Kremin wrote: »
    That can't be true? The examiner is only supposed to know your number, nothing else about you?

I don't think it is true at all, it's just a rumour that people in Irish schools play upon every year. The teachers disagree completely with the rumour there's no way they could find out sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gertieoro

AlfaJack wrote: »
    I actually can't believe I got 615!! I keep re-reading it to make sure I've read it right!
    I really want to do veterinary which was 580 last year so I'm absolutely delighted! Just an A2 in Biology let me down haha
    Well done to everyone though! :D

I got 570 - hoping to study veterinary too. It's definitely not a given that i'll get in with these points but I've head that application for vet med have decreased by 7%. Will this decrease translate into lower requirement points, does anyone know? Is there any chance with 570?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

A few of you have mentioned getting the course points but not the entry requirements - don't forget if that's a Maths grade then some colleges and universities are offering second chance Maths exams - most of them next week. If this relates to you, enjoy your celebrations it's been a lot of hard work and then find out about any second chance exams tomorrow :)

Here's a link with some info but it may not cover all courses or colleges. Best to check websites or ring:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exams/leaving-certificate-secondchance-maths-exams-open-new-doors-to-college-31444650.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

Dd got 400 points course last year was 380 so hopefully she will be ok
    She is devastated over biology got a d1 and got b2 in mocks
    Also English always get a b1 and got a c2 so she is viewing scripts for these two subjects.
    Does she need anything apart from a pen and calculator with her ? Will anyone be there with her and
    Is there a time limit hanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carrie1884

I think it's more that examiners realise their exams are from an irish school when the papers are of a consistently higher standard than usual, which makes individual papers less impressive than when compared to a class from an English school - but this shouldn't affect the grade honestly, maybe in one or two cases

Just to confirm, examiners do not know when they get an Irish paper whether it comes from a Gaelscoil or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

i have exactly enough points so nervous for monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

k88 wrote: »
    480 in the mocks, thought I'd just about get 510.. Got 555, I am over the moon. A's in Art and English were a lovely surprise! My course was 515 last year so hoping for good news on Monday!
    Hope everyone else is as happy :)
    I also got 480 in the mocks(the 1st one) and 555 in the Leaving. I will be getting stuff rechecked though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

theLuggage wrote: »
    A few of you have mentioned getting the course points but not the entry requirements - don't forget if that's a Maths grade then some colleges and universities are offering second chance Maths exams - most of them next week. If this relates to you, enjoy your celebrations it's been a lot of hard work and then find out about any second chance exams tomorrow :)

Here's a link with some info but it may not cover all courses or colleges. Best to check websites or ring:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/exams/leaving-certificate-secondchance-maths-exams-open-new-doors-to-college-31444650.html

My son is 15 points short of the course he would like to do, plus it said 2 c3s needed in higher level papers, he only got one c3 that's in HL maths, the rest were also higher level papers but he got D1,2, 3 in those, I wonder how he will fair out on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 exovoomnia

I've definitely gotten my second choice but think I might get my first (because I have Dare) BUT I'm thinking I don't even want my first choice now. As far as I know the course only has one DARE space so I'm praying to god someone else gets it and I get to take my second choice... I know this sounds awful lol

Advertisement