Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2015 Results thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,589 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

congrats to all. i done the leaving in 2007 not knowing i had dyslexia and done foundation maths and irish. its was only till i entered third level in 2011 that they discovered i had the disability. im a lot smarter than some i saw in third level so its not the end of the world if u didnt get your choice. exams are not everything you get second chances but people who are suffering from illness dont worry about exams or get second chances. there are plenty of successful people out there who failed/done poorly in the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DT229

I got 570 points and bawled my eyes out when I opened the envelope. Wasn't expecting it at all! Got all A's too which I couldn't believe, absolutely over the moon! So shocked with an A2 in English, I'v never gotten above a B2 ever

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Chicharito11

So I have a problem. I want to view my scripts but, in the excitement of the moment, I saw that I got my points and entry requirements, threw everything else that was in the envelope across the room and stormed out the door grinning, meaning the slip I need to view the scripts is lying on the floor of some room in my school, along with everything else that was in that envelope. Any other way I could apply to view my scripts?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 exovoomnia

is there any way I can pull out of dare? I'd hate to think someone else who wants a course would miss out because I'm getting dare and may get accepted into this course I don't really want

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So I have a problem. I want to view my scripts but, in the excitement of the moment, I saw that I got my points and entry requirements, threw everything else that was in the envelope across the room and stormed out the door grinning, meaning the slip I need to view the scripts is lying on the floor of some room in my school, along with everything else that was in that envelope. Any other way I could apply to view my scripts?

Contact your school's Examinations Secretary, asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

gertieoro wrote: »
    I got 570 - hoping to study veterinary too. It's definitely not a given that i'll get in with these points but I've head that application for vet med have decreased by 7%. Will this decrease translate into lower requirement points, does anyone know? Is there any chance with 570?

I'd definitely say you have a chance :P Obviously nothing is certain but the points could easily go down. No point worrying about it though, relax and see what happens on Monday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    I'm planning on studying maths at university. I was planning on trying to transfer to Oxford next year. They look at letter grades instead of points.
    Also I represented Ireland at the IMO, so getting a B1 seems... impossible.

Just because you represented Ireland in the IMO shows that you're naturally very very good at Maths. It doesn't mean jack sh*t when faced with the leaving cert exam and most certainly doesn't mean you're guaranteed an A1. Multiple people are fluent in Irish yet still get B1s all the time?

It could well be that there was an adding up mistake so view the script! But don't for a second believe that getting a B1 is 'impossible' just because you're naturally good at maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Could not be happier with my result, 550 points! My course last year was 515 so I think I can rest assured I'm secured a place!

Over the moon, considering I was expecting to only scrape 515; I more or less predicted all of my grades right give or take a grade or two, but I was absolutely shocked at seeing a bloody A1 in hon english?! I was planning on not using english as my top 6 as I genuinely thought I'd gotten a C1/B3 max, so I am completely dumbfounded to receive an A1.

I'm seriously considering reviewing my script just to see what the hell happened lol.

Everyone else seemed to do way better than expected in english which is great, everyone's so happy it's all so well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Help1997

Got 485 and couldn't be happier especially with an A2 in business

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ackyboi

I have never been more relieved to open an envelope in my life, 595 points (well, 685 total)

A1s in higher English, Biology, History and French, A2s in higher Art and Irish and a B2 in higher Maths

I'm 100 over what I need for my course so I think I can relax now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Just because you represented Ireland in the IMO shows that you're naturally very very good at Maths. It doesn't mean jack sh*t when faced with the leaving cert exam and most certainly doesn't mean you're guaranteed an A1. Multiple people are fluent in Irish yet still get B1s all the time?

It could well be that there was an adding up mistake so view the script! But don't for a second believe that getting a B1 is 'impossible' just because you're naturally good at maths.

I would dispute your assertion on a number of grounds. First and foremost, maths is nothing like Irish! Being able to do Irish or English at Leaving Cert level, given the restricted modes of expression necessary, means that you will have honed a particular subskill , one that everyday speakers may not use. That is why there is no conflict between being fluent and not doing brilliantly at it. In the exams that test general ability in a language - Spanish, French, Italian and so on - it would be an iniquity if somebody fluent at the language failed to get an A1.

The maths exam is like those latter languages. It consists of algebraic manipulation and easy application of standard theorems. It is to mathematics what the French exam is to French. While at a higher level than the Leaving Cert bad days can play a role, for somebody good at maths, they, on their worst day, should be at higher standard than the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    I would dispute your assertion on a number of grounds. First and foremost, maths is nothing like Irish! Being able to do Irish or English at Leaving Cert level, given the restricted modes of expression necessary, means that you will have honed a particular subskill , one that everyday speakers may not use. That is why there is no conflict between being fluent and not doing brilliantly at it. In the exams that test general ability in a language - Spanish, French, Italian and so on - it would be an iniquity if somebody fluent at the language failed to get an A1.

The maths exam is like those latter languages. It consists of algebraic manipulation and easy application of standard theorems. It is to mathematics what the French exam is to French. While at a higher level than the Leaving Cert bad days can play a role, for somebody good at maths, they, on their worst day, should be at higher standard than the exam.

Hate to break it but there are fluent French speakers too who don't get A1s, one of them was in my LC French class..

Maths in the leaving cert is an exam which you study for, not an aptitude test (which you would quite clearly excel in). You may be at a "higher standard" than the exam but you could also have made stupid mistakes which cost you marks and an A1? It's hardly a farce or impossible for that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sophie55

Congrats to everyone! :) Honestly Im a bit disappointed, need 495 and I got 500 but my course is so popular I dont know if I will get it tomorrow,
    did ordinary Irish and got a B3 so Im not counting it but here are my HL grades

French A2, bit disappointed I think I might send it back hopefully to get the A1 and the same with Geography as I also got an A2 in that,

Business-B1, thought I did worse actually in the exam but am going to view it anyway since I usually did get A2s even with my teacher who was an extremely hard marker

Biology-B2 really disappointed thought I would get an A2, going to view it with my teacher who has agreed to come with me and he feels I deserved more than that and had worked for more, I am praying to god that they left something out!

English- B3 gutted thought I would get a B1, getting a recheck!

Maths- D1 cannot believe this grade,the most disappointing of all, I am absolutely devastated. My teacher said he would be more than happy to view it with me and he thinks it is off for me as well. I had been getting C1s and Bs, I dont know what happened! Its also annoying as well as I know people who had been failing the whole time and got the same grade as me! Oh well sure if it is my grade there is nothing I can do but I am praying they made a mistake somewhere or left something out! getting a recheck definitely

Overall, I am the most happy with business, geography and french but think I might send them back anyway just to chance it especially since there is a 10 point difference between the A1 and A2. Definitely seriously considering biology and english back and almost certainly maths!

the wait until the 28th and 29th to view the papers is so frustrating too especially if I dont get my course tomorrow!

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and hope everyone gets offered what they want :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It will cost a fair bit to get all those re-checked. You should have a look at the papers first before deciding how many you wish to send off.

Yeah I am gonna view them all except for Irish first and see but if I think there is a high enough chance I will go up I suppose its worth the money then isnt it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mia97x

So upset still over what I got! I got 190 but infernace I only did 1 higher level and then maths at foundation level and then all ordinary , I failed business which I'm so confused about cause I spent 9 months in grinds so I'm going to get it rechecked and I got a d2 in maths?!?! Like what the **** I don't know how I'm going to get that rechecked too I needed a b2 for my course so I'm so upset over this , the other grades I was happy enough about but I'm so upset over maths and business 😭

Sorry to hear that, Hope you go up in rechecks :)

Advertisement