Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How long does your chain last you?

• 12-08-2015 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Just replaced my chain/sprockets after 18k miles(600cc Yamaha DiversionF).
    Previous chain lasted me 26k miles( Kawasaki ER6F )

I really dont take care of my chains and they are generally destroyed by the time i replace them. Procrastination is my middle name!!

How long does yours last and how much attention do you give it. Also mention the bike so we know the person who has it last 40k miles isnt riding a 50cc!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Ive done 25k miles on my last chain. I mean the bike had that chain when I bought it and thrn I added 25k miles to the clock. Bike is 600 Hornet. My chain maintenance involved sparying chain lube on the chain every now and again if I remembered to do it. To lazy to ever clean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

18k miles on the Diversion when I got it, original chain and sprockets. I put another 5 on it and the chain was still only about halfway gone. Scottoiler. It's the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Just about to replace the chain and sprockets on the blackbird, lasted 2 years and almost around 20K. Would have lasted longer probably if it wasn't for the covers blowing off when i was away and rusting up with the rain.

I tend to remove the rear wheel and give it a good clean and check for tight spots maybe once a month, rarely did I have had to readjust the chain in the last 2 years. I lube the chain when it needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Think my last chain lasted around 20k miles and that was an X-ring chain on a CB250. However it ended rather badly.

Weekly lubrication and daily inspections are a must for me now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I ride a BMW :P

(Whats a chain?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I just fit a Scottoiler and let that take care of it. Last bike I rarely adjusted the chain in the few years I had it, not big mileage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

10,000 km on the Hyosung OEM O-ring (mind you that was over 4 years, 3 parked up).
    13,500 km on a no-name (Kiss) O-ring

Both fairly abused (never cleaned, but fairly regularly lubed)

Now a X-ring DID which I replaced with the sprockets (which looked A-OK at 23,500 km).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Del2005 wrote: »
    I just fit a Scottoiler and let that take care of it. Last bike I rarely adjusted the chain in the few years I had it, not big mileage though.

Same here. Bike ( Bandit 600 ) had OEM chain on it when I bought it - was gone at 10,000 miles. Fitted a touring scottoiler at the time I replaced it. 10,000 miles later and only needed to be adjusted once. I don't drive it that hard though.

Going to give this a go, cheaper than the scottoiler, http://www.tutorochainoiler.com , not sure if I will go with the manual or automatic version yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Going to give this a go, cheaper than the scottoiler, http://www.tutorochainoiler.com , not sure if I will go with the manual or automatic version yet though.

Blu Ive a loobman here I never used. I installed it but didnt like the look so just removed it. Its yours if you want?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Actually never had a bike long enough to need a replacement chain :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I ride a BMW :P

(Whats a chain?)

Yes, all spare cash goes towards all the other parts that need replacing!!:P: :pac:

Blu Ive a loobman here I never used. I installed it but didnt like the look so just removed it. Its yours if you want?

Cheers dude but I ordered it last night not long after posting, pass it on to someone else that might need it :)

Advertisement