If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolby Atmos

Options
  • 12-08-2015 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

First off thanks for your help with new tv, 

I am thinking of upgrading my system to support dolby atmos and DTS X ,At the moment I have a Yamaha 673 av receiver in my converted garage with benq W1070 , JBL ES90 floor stand  speakers and wharfedale 9.0 as surrounds in 7.1

The Denon X2200W seems likes it supports Atmos and DTS X but will be 5.1.2

I was thinking of placing 2 in ceiling speakers for Atmos ,would this be a better option than upward firing atmos enabled speakers? Will any in ceiling speaker work with Atmos ?

If you could recommend what ceiling speakers I should be looking at?

Thanks Barry

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

barry75 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

First off thanks for your help with new tv, 

I am thinking of upgrading my system to support dolby atmos and DTS X ,At the moment I have a Yamaha 673 av receiver in my converted garage with benq W1070 , JBL ES90 floor stand  speakers and wharfedale 9.0 as surrounds in 7.1

The Denon X2200W seems likes it supports Atmos and DTS X but will be 5.1.2

I was thinking of placing 2 in ceiling speakers for Atmos ,would this be a better option than upward firing atmos enabled speakers? Will any in ceiling speaker work with Atmos ?

If you could recommend what ceiling speakers I should be looking at?

Thanks Barry
    Really amazing amp and have you seen the first review of the AVRX2200?

http://www.whathifi.com/denon/avr-x2200w/review

Its a 5 star stonker of a review and a real return to form for Denon! ( and Its great value in Yoyo as well! at just €649.99)

In relation to the Atmos speakers - Dolby themselves recommend actual ceiling speakers as the best way forward - if you can access the ceiling void to install dedicated in-ceiling speakers and get the bables to them then that's the way forward in my view ( and its far less expensive than installing floor/ stand mount 'Atmos enabled ' reflective speakers - have a look at the Dolby paper here:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-enabled-speaker-technology.pdf

On the actual speaker to use - the world really is your oyster - personally I use Monitor Audio speakers CT165:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11974-ct165.aspx

But I've heard the Q Acoustics Q165 in an Atmos install recently and they sounded pretty A W E S O M E!

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12781-qi65cp.aspx

Keep us posted & happy to do you a system price if you are buying a bundle! - sounds like a fun install!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Hi John,

I have taking the plunge and gone with the Denon 5200w you had up on the clearance list yesterday.I am sure this is a step up on the 2100w avr ,as it will do 9 channels and have the capability for me to expand to 5.1.4 for atmos or 7.1.2

I will have to hold off re the ceiling speakers for a while as this av receiver was above my budget, and come back to you guys when a bit more money saved. 
    There is some clearance MA ceiling speakers on your post from yesterday would it be a bad idea to mix those two? You had suggested Ct165 or the Kef .I will be installing 4 ceiling speakers in total.

Thanks Barry

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Hi Barry, the MA ceiling speakers on the clearance list are single speakers, and we wouldn't have any matching ones available, so I wouldn't really recommend them to be honest, as they will be different spec and not an exact match, so sound levels/quality may be different.

Cheers

Hi Guys 

Just a quick  question would this Denon PMA720 - Stereo Amplifier match up with the Denon 5200 to allow 7.1.4 ?

Hi Guys 

Just a quick  question would this Denon PMA720 - Stereo Amplifier match up with the Denon 5200 to allow 7.1.4 ?
    HI Barry,

In theory yes it would work for that. They do talk about using a power amp for this, as you will have a lot of functions on the 720 you would never use in this situation. Obviously the 720 would need to be set on the correct input and volume level, whereas a power amp would just be constantly on playing what the 5200 fed to it

Cheers
    Brian

• Advertisement

Hi Guys 

HI Barry,

In theory yes it would work for that. They do talk about using a power amp for this, as you will have a lot of functions on the 720 you would never use in this situation. Obviously the 720 would need to be set on the correct input and volume level, whereas a power amp would just be constantly on playing what the 5200 fed to it

Cheers
    Brian
    Thanks Brian

Guessing a power Amp will be the way to go.What kinda money are we looking at to do this?Is there any you recommend 

Thanks for all the help

Barry

Hi Guys 

HI Barry,

Cheers
    Brian
    Thanks Brian

Guessing a power Amp will be the way to go.What kinda money are we looking at to do this?Is there any you recommend 

Thanks for all the help

Barry
    Entry level in poweramps would be the Audiolab M-Pwr - http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200249-audiolab-m-pwr.aspx at £299. This one would be more than enough to do the extra speakers for you

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks Brian

I suppose you don't have any open box or clearance power amp in the store? 
    As I still have to buy 4 in ceiling speakers down the road looking at MA CT 165 or MA Ct265 ,Could you give me a price for both of these speakers. 

Cheers Barry

PS
    I be in touch shortly to pay for the BXFX

Thanks Brian

I suppose you don't have any open box or clearance power amp in the store? 
    As I still have to buy 4 in ceiling speakers down the road looking at MA CT 165 or MA Ct265 ,Could you give me a price for both of these speakers. 

Cheers Barry

PS
    I be in touch shortly to pay for the BXFX
    HI Barry, thanks for the post. Unfortunately we don't have any clearance or traded in power amps at present, but if I hear of any coming up I will keep you in mind

The CT165 are currently £105/£129 each and the CT265 are £154/€179 each, and are both currently available from stock

Regards
    Brian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.