Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamic or Static IP

Options
  • 12-08-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am a streamer and whenever I put my stream on some kid will DDOS me,
    [ DDoS is a type of DOS attack where multiple compromised systems, which are often infected with a Trojan, are used to target a single system causing a Denial of Service (DoS) attack.]
    He has my original IP and a proxy or a VPN will not make a difference. I kept my router off for a few minutes a few times and the IP is still the same. I called up my internet provider which is UPC not only did they have no idea what DDOS is but also tried telling me I have a virus on my 'laptop' LOL. I called them again and got a different person (of course a woman again who has no idea what she's talking about) she told me that I have a dynamic IP and I need to keep my router off for an hour. I kept it off for an hour plus and my IP is still the same. Later I kept it off for a few hours over the night and still no change. I don't know if my IP is static or dynamic, my internet provider is ****ing stupid. What the hell do I do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

It's luck of the draw if you get a new IP doing the on/off thing.
    More than not you should be getting a new IP.

As for dos, report to garda and your ISP. That's all you can do. It's illegal, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What proof have you that you're being DOS'd?

Do you use skype? If so get rid of it, leaks your public. If you buy a decent cable router and bridge UPCs equipment you can change IP at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CriticalKush

The kid has been DDOSing all of my streamer friends too. I had skype on my phone at the time, but it's gone now and also people tracked my IP from teamspeak etc. Nothing is changing my IP, I did everything that UPC told me to do and it's still the same. I might just end up buying a new router.

The kid has been DDOSing all of my streamer friends too. I had skype on my phone at the time, but it's gone now and also people tracked my IP from teamspeak etc. Nothing is changing my IP, I did everything that UPC told me to do and it's still the same. I might just end up buying a new router.

I wish I could report to my ISP, they have no idea what DDOS is. One of the customer service people even thought it was a virus. -facepalm-

Again, what evidence? It could just be a poor connection. The chances that a kid has access to a botnet in order to take you offline is low enough.

Buying a cable router is simplest, I can change my public in about 20secs if I needed to (never do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

....... I might just end up buying a new router.

if you throw the original one in the bin - the cable companies gear won't "accept"/"recognise" a new(different) cable router

( if it's cable-tv type of internet you have )

gctest50 wrote: »
    if you throw the original one in the bin - the cable companies gear won't "accept"/"recognise" a new(different) cable router

If he uses a cable router with the UPC home gateway(modem) bridged it'll work just fine. And the ability change MAC allows you to change IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

I wish I could report to my ISP, they have no idea what DDOS is. One of the customer service people even thought it was a virus. -facepalm-
    You need to go up the chain, it'll take days before you get to someone who knows what a computer is.

I know it's not poor connection. When ever I turn my stream on the kid will take me down for 20 minutes at a time. It is really easy to DDOS someone these days, you pay a few bucks and easy you can DDOS anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; } What do you use for doing your streaming? If you are doing it through a website like Twitch then any listener shouldn't be able to get your IP. As for switching IP, its luck of the draw and you just sound like you've been unlucky.

As for people expressing doubt, this happens all the time on IRC. Any American with a T3 connection can take out a crappy Irish connection with just LOIC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Use the Talk to UPC Forum here. They should be able to give you a straight answer.
    Most people have to ask for a static IP to be assigned to them but you never know.

Advertisement