Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven is tripping the switch

Options
  • 12-08-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Basically, the oven is tripping the trip switch (Circuit breaker) once the Oven is turned on or the Oven Switch on the wall.

I initially thought the Element, but when i did a resistance test on the element it showed 28 ohms which looks to be about right.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I also checked and secured the wiring at the back of the switch on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What is tripping? An MCB or an RCD.

Does it trip with the oven turned off and the switch on the wall on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

MCB. I will need to test oven again to check. i remember having everything on the oven set to OFF and then turning on the Wall switch and it still stripped. Nearly certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ilovepizza

I need some help, its wrecking my head and affects everything in the house.

After about 20mins of using the oven the 40a trip switch goes. All the sockets in the house stop working, but the oven remains on and functioning like normal.
    It is not the extractor fan, as we unplugged this and tested with the same results, its not the appliances plugged in around the kitchen as we unplugged and tested tho.

How can the oven affect a different circuit?

The system is not overloaded as, all that is running is a tv and a sky box and a wifi router, nothing else is plugged or in use.
    Over the last 8 months we have isolated the fault to be caused by the oven, through.
    It seems the trip switch is staying down longer each time, before it would stay down for about 20-30min, now it can be hours.

Any advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

ilovepizza wrote: »
    I need some help, its wrecking my head and affects everything in the house.

After about 20mins of using the oven the 40a trip switch goes. All the sockets in the house stop working, but the oven remains on and functioning like normal.
    It is not the extractor fan, as we unplugged this and tested with the same results, its not the appliances plugged in around the kitchen as we unplugged and tested tho.

How can the oven affect a different circuit?

The system is not overloaded as, all that is running is a tv and a sky box and a wifi router, nothing else is plugged or in use.
    Over the last 8 months we have isolated the fault to be caused by the oven, through.
    It seems the trip switch is staying down longer each time, before it would stay down for about 20-30min, now it can be hours.

Any advise?

Have you got a competent rec to check it out?

• Advertisement

wont be able to until the end of the month, due to finances.
    Just wondering could an earthing issue cause this fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

wont be able to until the end of the month, due to finances.
    Just wondering could an earthing issue cause this fault?

Possibly ,yes.
    A loop impedance test on your sockets and oven should also be carried out
    You say this issue is going for 8 months,you should have it tested asap.

it has been intermittent, we dont use it often and have only found recently through isolation it only happens when using the oven when there is excess steam coming from the vent at the top of the oven. but further testing we can assure there is no steam/moisture travelling to near by sockets.

Just wondering if I pull out the oven from the wall, disconnect the L,N,E cables safely, would it allow me to put the rcd back up.

even when the oven is turned off at the wall or even fuse board(during the fault), the RCD does not allow me to flip the switch back up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

it has been intermittent, we dont use it often and have only found recently through isolation it only happens when using the oven when there is excess steam coming from the vent at the top of the oven. but further testing we can assure there is no steam/moisture travelling to near by sockets.

Just wondering if I pull out the oven from the wall, disconnect the L,N,E cables safely, would it allow me to put the rcd back up.

even when the oven is turned off at the wall or even fuse board(during the fault), the RCD does not allow me to flip the switch back up

The cooker usually shouldn't cause the RCD to trip. It could be a fault at the board, or in the wiring , insulation breakdown etc.
    The fuseboard should be inspected asap.

Advertisement