Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog hair

• 12-08-2015 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭

So I adopted a 6 month old St Bernard x yesterday.
    Problem is her hairs are getting everywhere! What is the best/cheapest way of cleaning them up? I have a lint roller but it's fighting a loosing battle!

I have tried brushing her but she thinks bad of sitting still for it (probably never brushed before)

Any tips or advice appreciated!

DSC_0025_zpszm9hsbvg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The first thing to do is learn to love the hair, or at least accept it. You simply cannot get rid of it entirely. If you have carpets get a good rubber broom; that's the best thing I found for getting hair out of carpets, and I still broke 3 of them. A good hoover that's rated for animals is a godsend too. You'll be hovering very often and you'll most likely still have hair building up in corners. Train her to get used to grooming with plenty of treats. You can also get grooming mitts that mean you can get hair out while you pet her.

Welcome to the world of having a dog! When you have children you accept that they'll mash banana into the carpets and write on the walls, with dogs you just have to accept the hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Grooming mitt sounds good. Ah she is just more excited than anything when she is getting brushed and it's hard to hold her still and treats don't last long with her!
    No carpets in the house it's just more on clothes than anything.

She is not my only dog but the other looses very little hair and she is also a lot smaller

sean1141 wrote: »
    Grooming mitt sounds good. Ah she is just more excited than anything when she is getting brushed and it's hard to hold her still and treats don't last long with her!

She is not my only dog but the other looses very little hair and she is also a lot smaller

If it's on clothes then the best thing I can recommend is to only wear clothes that match your dog so no-one notices the hair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With clothes I find it best to have defined indoor and outdoor clothes ...or rather with-dog and without-dog clothes and keep them separate.

As for the hair ...once you have learned to accept it (as said above) collecting it becomes easier when you leave it to accumulate for a while ..it'll naturally congregate into hairballs which are much easier to hunt down than pesky single hairs :D:D:D

Gorgeous dog btw ...do you know what else is in there besides St. Bernard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

kylith wrote:
    If it's on clothes then the best thing I can recommend is to only wear clothes that match your dog so no-one notices the hair!
    I don't ever wear white clothes!
    peasant wrote:
    Gorgeous dog btw ...do you know what else is in there besides St. Bernard?

Cross between a St. Bernard and a perennian mountain dog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cross between a St. Bernard and a perennian mountain dog!

Thought as much :D
    Make sure you train her well while you have the chance ...she's going to be massive :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

have you thought about adding salmon oil to her diet, it really helps reduce shedding...

This is the one I use - find it great

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/127318

You should also look at the furminator products also great a reducing shedding@

http://www.zooplus.ie/esearch.htm#q%3DFURminator%2520Dog%2520Shamppo%26catl%3D5%26cats%3D1Dog%257C2Dog%2520Grooming%2520%2526%2520Care%257C3Shampoo%2520%2526%2520Grooming%2520Spray%257C4FURminator%2520Dog%2520Shamppo

http://www.zooplus.ie/esearch.htm#q%3DFURminator%2520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

As for the hair ...once you have learned to accept it (as said above) collecting it becomes easier when you leave it to accumulate for a while ..it'll naturally congregate into hairballs which are much easier to hunt down than pesky single hairs :D:D:D

Thanks a mill for this - great knowing I am not the only one!:)

I don't ever wear white clothes!
    Your only option is to shave the dog so! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I've never managed it with my two, but my friend managed to train her dog to not be worried about her hand held dyson, and she got a pet groomer attachment for it - and said it's been a life changer for her as the dog is vacuumed while she's groomed and it has hugely, hugely reduced both the number of hairs flying about, as well as dust/hairs around the house as it manages to get the dander, too.

(I also keep trying to get the cats used to this, but no success so far...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We manage dog hair by having indoor (dog) clothes and outdoor (non dog) clothes. We even do this with our toddler!!
    We have a dyson which I find great and we Hoover at least once a day! We also have the dyson grooming attachment.
    We got rid of all the carpets too. The tumble dryer is brill for getting hair off clothes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mozzy

Book her in to get a de-shed treatment and bath and blast with a good groomer and that will make a massive difference then I would get a Coat King for brushing her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

my dogs shed their body weight in hair daily :rolleyes: There are fur balls roaming through my house like those tumbleweeds you seen in Western Movies!!! Our car is one big hair depositry! Our chairs and sofa's are all covered in hairs. Our clothes are covered in dog hair. When visitors leave our house, their backsides are covered in dog hair. We now have a rescue cat to add to the hairiness!

We have no carpets, so sweep up the fur balls daily. I vacuum with a good pet quality vacuum every week. We have a clothes brush for when we leave the house. I have brushes to brush the sofa cushions every couple days. But we love our pets, and what the heck - unless you have a bald dog, you just have to embrace the hair, and put up with it. Granted with your St Bernard/Bernese WHITE dog, you are probably suffering more but at this stage I hardly notice it.

Gorgeous dog btw!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

What makes me laugh (cry) is how I can spend ages trying to get all the hair off furniture, car etc with a lint roller. Yet the minute I sit down on them they are magically attracted to my clothes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

It's so true, the hair does stick to your clothes so much, my lab isn't allowed upstairs and yet the bathroom is always covered in his hair, all around the bath and loo which looks awful, all those inch-long black hairs!! About a month ago there was a big sale in Argos on hoovers and I jumped to be a decent pet hoover, and it makes a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,291 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

furminatorLargeDogLongHair.ashx?w=600&h=600&bc=white These aren't cheap, but they really do the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

^^ Furminators will destroy a long/double coat - so may not be a good idea for the OP's dog considering the mix of breeds. I' d recommend a double row rake and slicker...... good vacuum cleaner with a turbo head (you can get turbo heads on zooplus with an adaptor so they fit most models) and some lint rollers!

Advertisement