Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Little bit worried about biology currently. We've only done 19 chapters. Are we very behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Little bit worried about biology currently. We've only done 19 chapters. Are we very behind?

I think we've done 26, teacher says we should be done for the mocks though.

I think we've done 26, teacher says we should be done for the mocks though.

Oh god. My teacher is absolutely horrendous though so I'm not even surprised.

Oh god. My teacher is absolutely horrendous though so I'm not even surprised.

I wouldn't be too worried...some of the chapters like vegetative propagation, genetic engineering, and viruses just to name a few have very little in them, the biology textbooks just pad them out with unnecessary information.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Does anyone know if going over the word count in the geography fieldwork matters that much? I'm at around 1400 words and my teacher says it's fine but he says to write down some number less than 1000 in the word count. What's the best thing to do?

• Advertisement

Current Mood:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Current Mood:

That was so nasty haha

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

Anyone else's school not do Christmas exams? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

meganob wrote: »

Nope - just the midterms :) But class tests are piling in like crazy. Not a day goes by where a test is either done or mentioned :o

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

meganob wrote: »

My school normally does, but last year they decided not to (we all had big class tests used for continuous assessment for the term instead and then normal house exams for the summer), and now this year due to the time we've missed with strikes my school has decided that the 1st, 2nd, and 5th years will do Christmas exams and 3rd and 6th years will essentially have "informal" class exams just so we can have something for our reports. It's all pretty messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Drink loads of water and ventilate your room well.

edited to say sorry this was meant to be in response to someone who said they get lots of headaches from studying and had anyone any tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Our Christmas exams will be the last house exams we ever do.

Looks like they'll be a right treat, full papers with less time

Christmas tests done (our school does them now to avoid having them too close to the mocks) everything went grand except maths really...my teacher came up to me at lunch today wondering why I wasn't able to multiply complex numbers. I thought I got that right...it was the first question on the paper. So that's a good start. I'd say I got about 60 percent overall.

But everything else was fine. Hoping for around 80 percent in everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Just been told that we've our mock Orals after Christmas holidays so in order to learn my sraiths I've to take half or one every day for the next month and a bit, might just cram the night before ;)
    Trying to sort study timetable out but wow I am the least motivated person ever, I seem to think I'm still in Ty or something :(
    On another note, Anyone have any good resources for History? Need all the help I can get with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Urgh were so far behind in math, haven't done Complex numbers or much of trigonometry. here's hoping we can get those done.

Just been told that we've our mock Orals after Christmas holidays so in order to learn my sraiths I've to take half or one every day for the next month and a bit, might just cram the night before ;)
    Trying to sort study timetable out but wow I am the least motivated person ever, I seem to think I'm still in Ty or something :(
    On another note, Anyone have any good resources for History? Need all the help I can get with it :(

Leaving Cert History.net is one I found helpful. Is there a particular topic you're having trouble with or is it just exam technique?

Anybody know how disadvantaged your area has to be to pass the criteria for the HEAR area profile? Like what category? Is it "disadvantaged" or "extremely disadvantaged" or would you get away with less?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anybody know how disadvantaged your area has to be to pass the criteria for the HEAR area profile? Like what category? Is it "disadvantaged" or "extremely disadvantaged" or would you get away with less?

They have certain criteria before calling an area 'disadvantaged'. I can't remember them all, but the criteria would include things like levels of unemployment, council or social housing, medical card holders, past low % of participation at third level etc..

**edit
    Just saw they have a map you can put in an address and get the level of disadvantage.
    https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

spurious wrote: »
    They have certain criteria before calling an area 'disadvantaged'. I can't remember them all, but the criteria would include things like levels of unemployment, council or social housing, medical card holders, past low % of participation at third level etc..

**edit
    Just saw they have a map you can put in an address and get the level of disadvantage.
    https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

My place is put down as "below average"...that hardly passes the criteria so?

Don't think so Rhode Island. There's a list of criteria to fulfill on this page here: http://accesscollege.ie/hear/eligibility-indicators/

A lot of colleges are doing information days for the HEAR and DARE schemes as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Today we got told that it's exactly 6 months till the Leaving, YAY.........

padraigmck wrote: »
    Today we got told that it's exactly 6 months till the Leaving, YAY.........

In some ways I'm happy to hear this, knowing that in 6.5 months this will all be over and whatever will be will be.

In some ways I'm happy to hear this, knowing that in 6.5 months this will all be over and whatever will be will be.

I can't believe a day will come where I won't be forced to learn a dead language or study countless poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mr Murphy

Anybody have any predictions or chapters i should study for both economics or business at higher level?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Who's dropping down to TCD Open Day tomorrow?

Who's dropping down to TCD Open Day tomorrow?

I'd love to go, but I can't make it this weekend. I might head up there next summer and have a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irishgirl181

Anyone thinking of going to GMIT Galway next year ? ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irishgirl181

Anyone thinking of going to GMIT Galway next year?

To do BESS, Business & Spanish in Trinity or Commerce Intl. in UCD? Even more confused after Trinity's open day today. Wasn't too impressed tbh.

• Advertisement

EireLemon wrote: »
    To do BESS, Business & Spanish in Trinity or Commerce Intl. in UCD? Even more confused after Trinity's open day today. Wasn't too impressed tbh.

Why not, can I ask?

Advertisement