Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CH1123581321

The holy trinity, French, biology,chemistry, economics and business

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

What sort of hours study are yee putting in at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Nil hours lol

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Near zero here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Not doing any. Planning on doing Christmas homework from tomorrow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

How's everyone doing on the CAO front? Anyone else really undecided like me

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of homework. Good god.

I'm sort of undecided about the CAO too. I had my heart set on something, then went to a couple of open days and now I can't make up my mind! I'm not too worried about it though, loads of time left.

Cao done and dusted just to send it off and that's me

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Yeah I registered because it's cheapest right now but I think I'll be changing it around a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

The trinity+ French, bio, history, economics and Lcvp.
    Finished my Lcvp portfolio and all my Christmas homework but other than that I've done nothing! Need help with deciding a project for history if anybody else doing history can help me :(
    I really need to start studying and maybe open up the cao :D I literally have one course for the cao and loads of plcs just in case I don't get Veterinary Nursing in Ucd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I have been playing around with the my cao list in my head but am dreading opening the site and actually doing it :o Will probably wait till next week. There's still sometime.

I have been playing around with the my cao list in my head but am dreading opening the site and actually doing it :o Will probably wait till next week. There's still sometime.

It's a bit scary alright, one more step towards The Real World

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There are two major sources of stress with the CAO:

1. Trying to decide what you want to do

2. Not understanding how the system works

The second is very easy to solve, yet many never take the time!

CAO - a few important points

CAO handbook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Like Randy said above, make sure to understand how the CAO system works!

I'm starting 2nd semester in college soon and you'll be surprised how many people didn't know how the system worked, and it screwed them over. Yeah, they got 625 points but can't even understand how the CAO works...

People wanting to go do x in college ABC but they put y in college XYZ for first choice instead, absolutely bonkers! Wouldn't be surprised if those people end up dropping out and re-applying to the CAO after learning how the system works during college.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I've got the whole CAO system thing under my belt. I'm pretty sure I know how it works.
    Trying to find the right course and order of preference is what's killing me atm. Feel like I'm under a timer to decide my future which is stressing me out big time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Filled out my CAO yesterday and I kept having to log back in to make sure I wasn't dreaming, I think it's finally hit me that I'm doing the Leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

I've got the whole CAO system thing under my belt. I'm pretty sure I know how it works.
    Trying to find the right course and order of preference is what's killing me atm. Feel like I'm under a timer to decide my future which is stressing me out big time :(

Hi Wanderer

You DO NOT have to decide right now, or by January 20th or even February 1st.

The only courses you HAVE to have on your form by February 1st are restricted entry courses, e.g. ones with portfolio (e.g. art), practical (e.g. drama or music), HPAT (medicine), etc. Even if you are not sure about these, or their order, put them in. That way you are in with a shot. But you can always remove them later.

Then when the change of mind opens in early May you can add more in and swap the order around. By then you will have done mock orals, orals, mocks and gotten your results back. You will have a much better idea of where you are at.

There genuinely is no need to panic about getting it sorted RIGHT NOW. You have time, and lots of it.

The trinity+ French, bio, history, economics and Lcvp.
    Finished my Lcvp portfolio and all my Christmas homework but other than that I've done nothing! Need help with deciding a project for history if anybody else doing history can help me :(

Is there a particular topic that interests you? You mentioned you want to do Veterinary Nursing so maybe something about animals during WW1 or even the advancement of medicine/veterinary medicine through a certain period

What's the point in studying if some of ye here havent a clue what ye want to do

What's the point in studying if some of ye here havent a clue what ye want to do

-Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
    -I don't want to let down my parents and teachers
    -I want to prove I could do it

Mostly the first point though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose the more points you can get, the more choice you will have, when you do work out what it is you would like to do.

Poorer exam performance often means less choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

That might work if you've no interest in a stem field but otherwise thats likely not a good idea. There's alot of pretty good and flexible courses like general science that are 500 points min which are great if you want to do science but aren't sure what.
    And on some level having 500 plus points as a result would be pretty nice...

Anyway someone was wondering what people were studying so I'll say mine

The big three, bus, physics, chem and french.

I haven't filled my CAO yet but I'm pretty confident I understand how it works, knowing what course I truly want is a whole different story...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

BadBannana wrote: »
    -Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
    This.

Having 100 points more than you need for the course you want to do is no burden whatsoever.

Having 5 points less than you need is a pain where you sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

This is probably a stupid question but I'm hoping someone on here might know.. I'm gathering my supporting documents for my HEAR application and I'm wondering where do I actually send them to? All I can get online is "send to the CAO". Is that this address: "Central Applications Office, Tower House, Eglinton Street, Galway, Ireland."?

Also do I need to add a cover later or anything like that? Or do I literally just send the copies of my two documents?

BadBannana wrote: »
    Is there a particular topic that interests you? You mentioned you want to do Veterinary Nursing so maybe something about animals during WW1 or even the advancement of medicine/veterinary medicine through a certain period

Thats a pretty good idea actually thank you! I've kinda have a few ideas floating around about old Hollywood etc but I will takes those ideas onboard too thank you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question but I'm hoping someone on here might know.. I'm gathering my supporting documents for my HEAR application and I'm wondering where do I actually send them to? All I can get online is "send to the CAO". Is that this address: "Central Applications Office, Tower House, Eglinton Street, Galway, Ireland."?

Also do I need to add a cover later or anything like that? Or do I literally just send the copies of my two documents?

Yes, just send them to that address.
    No harm clip a page saying 'Re HEAR application from Mr./Ms. Bazinga, CAO Number 123456789'.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

spurious wrote: »
    Yes, just send them to that address.
    No harm clip a page saying 'Re HEAR application from Mr./Ms. Bazinga, CAO Number 123456789'.

I was looking into that myself. In the HEAR handbook it says you must write your name + CAO number on all documentation.

Registered For Cao tonight, it all feels very real now :(
    I just throw down random course tonight tbh, as I really only want to do one course, am relying on this course and if I don't get it hopefully a plc as I've Applied for 3!
    I guess it's good that there's the change your mind option in May just in case :)
    Did very little study over Christmas, wish I did loads with the Orals but oops

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Not counting the valentine's midterm, Easter, St Patrick's day, the may bank holiday or the weekends, I have 80 days of school left.

It's a nice thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Not counting the valentine's midterm, Easter, St Patrick's day, the may bank holiday or the weekends, I have 80 days of school left.

It's a nice thought.

That just scares the life out of me!

Advertisement