Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Not counting the valentine's midterm, Easter, St Patrick's day, the may bank holiday or the weekends, I have 80 days of school left.

It's a nice thought.

Uggggghhh 80 days seems like forever!!
    I prefer to see it as just 6 ish months left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

4 weeks to mocks... god that is frightening

I don't even know when my mock orals are!! I won't be surprised if my teachers tell me tomorrow they are next week. I've done a good bit this xmas break but I still feel like i'm miles behind and have too much ish to cram in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

It may be worth considering not cramming for the mocks and working towards the Leaving Cert instead. What I'm saying is there is a huge amount of work to cover over the next few weeks and for a lot of people this will mean having the cram for the whole course. While doing this may boost your performance in the mocks, this information will only be in your short term memory and you will likely forget the material soon after and have to study it in detail again.

Whereas if you don't concern yourself too much about the mocks and continue studying in detail with the goal of being prepared for the Leaving Cert rather than the mocks it may be a better use of time. This way you will have the information in your long term memory and the study you do over the next few weeks will actually benefit you for the LC rather than boosting your mocks score but otherwise being a waste of a month in terms of study for the LC.

This could mean that you may not do as well in the mocks as you would if you crammed but in the long run it will benefit you more. Remember that the main benefit of the mocks is that you get a practice run with the exams and get an idea of what the timing and exam pressure is like. The mocks are not an indicator of how you will do in June so don't worry if you feel you didn't do as well as you hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Yall are gonna hate me but my school isn't open until Tuesday :D:D:D delighted one more lie in and a day of cramming woo

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote:
    This could mean that you may not do as well in the mocks as you would if you crammed but in the long run it will benefit you more. Remember that the main benefit of the mocks is that you get a practice run with the exams and get an idea of what the timing and exam pressure is like. The mocks are not an indicator of how you will do in June so don't worry if you feel you didn't do as well as you hoped.

Not doing as well in mocks than Mean parents go mad but I know where you are coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Not doing as well in mocks than Mean parents go mad but I know where you are coming from

That's true but if you explained this to your parents they'd most likely understand.

This isn't just my opinion but some teachers and guidance counsellors have said similar things before (perhaps a little less directly).

Just out of curiosity, on school days what time do most of you guys finish your homework and study????

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Just out of curiosity, on school days what time do most of you guys finish your homework and study????

It usually takes me two or three hours. I don't get to start until maybe 7 most nights

Same here could be going until half 9 10 maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

can you do a subject without doing the project????

can you do a subject without doing the project????

That's like saying you'll only do half the exam paper. You could but you'd lose out on whatever marks were going. What subject ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

So what did ye put down for your first choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

meganob wrote: »

Biomedical science in UCC/CIT😊

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

Anyone heading to any of the maths enrichment courses being offered in the universities? I'm going to the NUI Maynooth one myself!

Psychology UCC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Occupational Therapy in UCC :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Commerce Intl. in UCD or Business & Spanish in Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

That's like saying you'll only do half the exam paper. You could but you'd lose out on whatever marks were going. What subject ?

I am doing religion, it is 20% for the project but I don't have a teacher to sign it off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I am doing religion, it is 20% for the project but I don't have a teacher to sign it off for me.

Ask one of the religion teachers in your school (or your old school maybe if you've left school) to sign off with the project. Even if it's not an exam class they should still be a qualified religion teacher (I'd assume so anyways :p ). They'll obviously want to see proof that you did the project yourself.

Not doing the project would be silly.. you're instantly down to a H2 (which would mean you did a perfect paper).. I think on your results sheet there will be an * next to your grade stating you didn't complete an aspect of the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Anyone here looking at Aviation management and pilot studies in DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CAO early online application (discounted) €25

Deadline: 20th January 2017 at 5:15pm (i.e. next Friday)

A few important things to understand about the CAO process ...

I'm regretting not trying for Medicine way back when we started in 4th Year. The more I think about it the more I'd love to do it :/

BadBannana wrote: »
    I'm regretting not trying for Medicine way back when we started in 4th Year. The more I think about it the more I'd love to do it :/
    There's nothing really stopping you from doing Medicine? Apply for the HPAT and Medicine on the CAO before Friday if you think you want to do it (it's worth a shot!). If you don't do well in the HPAT this year you can always get a great Leaving Cert this year and do the HPAT next year. Or else you could always do a course in something like General Science or something in the health field and do graduate medicine afterwards. There's loads of opportunities! The only thing really stopping you is yourself!

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    There's nothing really stopping you from doing Medicine? Apply for the HPAT and Medicine on the CAO before Friday if you think you want to do it (it's worth a shot!). If you don't do well in the HPAT this year you can always get a great Leaving Cert this year and do the HPAT next year. Or else you could always do a course in something like General Science or something in the health field and do graduate medicine afterwards. There's loads of opportunities! The only thing really stopping you is yourself!

Thanks for the suggestions. If I wanted to apply I'd have to do chemistry anyway so the decision is more about staying back a year and bring left behind. All with the possibility of not making it in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bob97

Is economics politics & law any good in dcu? What type of maths do you do

BadBannana wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. If I wanted to apply I'd have to do chemistry anyway so the decision is more about staying back a year and bring left behind. All with the possibility of not making it in the first place
    You don't need Chemistry for all the medicine courses at all!

For Galway the science requirements are:
    6 Year Programme: O6/H7 in one of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics/Chemistry, Agricultural Science
    5 Year Programme: H4 in two of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics/Chemistry, Agricultural Science

In Trinity the requirements are:
    Leaving Certificate H3 + H4 In two of physics, chemistry, biology, physics/chemistry or agricultural science If you do not have a qualification in physics you must present mathematics at O3/H6 or better Advanced GCE (A-Level) Grade B + Grade C In two of physics, chemistry or biology If you do not have a qualification in physics you must present GCSE mathematics at grade B or better Combinations of subjects not permitted: Physics/Chemistry with Physics or Chemistry or Agricultural Science with Biology

UCD:
    Passes in six subjects including English, Irish, A third language, Mathematics, one laboratory science subject & one other recognised subject.

RCSI's 6 year course also doesn't require Chemistry:
    6 year degree programme:
    Candidates must present a minimum of 6 subjects [2 x H5 and 4 x O6/H7] in the Irish Leaving Certificate to include a minimum of an O6/H7 in Irish, English, Mathematics, a third language and one laboratory science subject from Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics/Chemistry or Agricultural Science. Candidates must meet the above subject requirements and a minimum of 480 points in the same sitting of the Irish Leaving Certificate examination.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    You don't need Chemistry for all the medicine courses at all!

For Galway the science requirements are:

In Trinity the requirements are:

UCD:

RCSI's 6 year course also doesn't require Chemistry:

Definitely tempting now. Does anyone know how to prepare for the HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

Bob97 wrote: »
    Is economics politics & law any good in dcu? What type of maths do you do

Go for it! It seems like a good mix of topics that would be v.interesting.
    UCC and UL seem really popular this year and last year, anyone else think so? I'm going UCC myself (hopefully,thinking of defering aswell)

• Advertisement

Go for it! It seems like a good mix of topics that would be v.interesting.
    UCC and UL seem really popular this year and last year, anyone else think so? I'm going UCC myself (hopefully,thinking of defering aswell)

Definitely noticing more people opening up to the idea of UL. I've always thought people were a little unfair on Limerick anyway. I live in Cork City and I'm noticing more people are opting for CIT over UCC because of the rates of employment and that

Advertisement