Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Look around you. :p
    EireLemon wrote: »
    Does anyone have the answers to Maths P1?
    If they do, they better not post them on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jenbar09

Where's the mocks thread?? i haven't been able to find it and I've been looking for reactions to the maths paper 1. I don't know if it was just me or if others thought it was hard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

That Maths paper one was a complete joke!!! Talking to some of the brainy mathematicians in my year afterwards, they were shattered with how hard it was!!!

If we a get a paper like that in June, I can't see myself getting into the course I want :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jenbar09

Are you higher or ordinary? I'm ordinary and found it difficult but supposedly the higher was tough and I heard some people didn't get it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Had English paper 1 today, very happy with it. Time wasn't an issue for me at all really, or else it's a case that I didn't write enough. Nice choice of essays though, happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Maths paper 2 was horrible :( praying for a pass. Both English papers were grand and I was much less short for time than I thought I would be. My comparative answer kind of lacked structure but I'll work on that after the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Maths Paper 1 was really hard :( Would be surprised if I got above 70% and that generally tends to be my better paper.

My English wasn't great but hopefully I'll not be counting it for points :P Next week should be fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

Maths paper 1 absoloute joke wtf were q7/q8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Engineering and English done today . 60%+ hopfully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Maths P2 was really hard. :( Paper 1 was a blessing in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Ron603

I had English paper 2, it went ok except I don't think that I wrote enough. I wrote 4 pages on the single text as well as on the prescribed poetry, 2 pages on the unseen poetry and 6 pages on comparative.

Maths paper 2 was extremely difficult, I probably failed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Liordi wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with you, I found Q7 & Q9 very tough

I thought I was the only one! I way preferred Paper 1 to be honest, I feel like I always get bogged down in Paper 2 questions though.

I had Irish Paper 2 today - glorious, glorious paper. I'm so happy about it.

I thought I was the only one! I way preferred Paper 1 to be honest, I feel like I always get bogged down in Paper 2 questions though.
    We have 2 HL maths classes and and out of the 32 of us none of us could fully complete it....... so don't feel too bad!!

padraigmck wrote:

Higher or ordinary ?

padraigmck wrote:

Higher or ordinary ?
    Higher DEB

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Does anyone know if we get our mock results over midterm, or do they take a bit longer and they come in when we're back in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

EireLemon wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we get our mock results over midterm, or do they take a bit longer and they come in when we're back in school?

Depends on the school, there's really not a national policy on when the kids get their results. If your school sends away exams it'll take longer than if the teachers correct it

Finished my mocks today, such a good feeling

I finished yesterday. Feel a lot less worried about the Leaving Cert now after that. I know exactly what and where I need to work on in the next 3 months or so. But for now, Sleep, Netflix and Drake concert is all that's on my mind :D

• Advertisement

Maths paper 2 tomorrow
    Only started studying for it in the last hour
    Just realised I can't do circle questions
    All the notes I have on the circle are over a year old and written in shorthand
    They probably made sense at the time but they surely don't make any sense now

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

I finished yesterday. Feel a lot less worried about the Leaving Cert now after that. I know exactly what and where I need to work on in the next 3 months or so. But for now, Sleep, Netflix and Drake concert is all that's on my mind :D

Enjoy!

I finished yesterday. Feel a lot less worried about the Leaving Cert now after that. I know exactly what and where I need to work on in the next 3 months or so. But for now, Sleep, Netflix and Drake concert is all that's on my mind

Your post summed it up. I finished today thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Tfw when you get 66 percent in what you assumed would be your best result...

:__;

Got annihilated by maths paper 2. Every other exam up to that had been OK and to get destroyed this hard by the last exam annoys me a lot.

Got annihilated by maths paper 2. Every other exam up to that had been OK and to get destroyed this hard by the last exam annoys me a lot.

Yeah that's me all over. Go home in a desperate mood due to failing or doing really bad in maths at end

A bad exam absolutely wrecks my head in. I had the worst exam of my life with Maths Paper 1 and an hour after that paper I had to do Spanish. All I could think about was the Maths exam. I was pretty upset with how it went after putting a lot of effort into the subject this year so my head was all over the place for my Spanish exam.

Yeah, I know what you mean wanderer. I feel like a bad maths exam is one of the hardest to forget, at least for me, because as soon as I hand up the paper I realise exactly how to do one of the questions or that I did one of the questions wrong. It's so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Anyone doing business could clear if the abq question from below are asking the same thing and answers would be same?:

12.B Discuss the benefits for the local community, arising from the success of RIM Ltd. (30 marks)

08B Discuss how Fruit First Ltd benefits the local and national economy.
    Refer to the above text in your answer. (25)

This is what I had thought of putting down for both:

Social Benefits:
    1. Community Spirit: A successful local economy brings prosperity to an area. The area improves as facilities are developed to take advantage of its new found wealth.

2. Loyalty: As the area becomes more prosperous, local people are more likely to remain living there. This prevents depopulation in the area and keeps the community alive- local schools and activities thrive.

Economic Benefits:
    1. Employment: It creates jobs (direct and indirect) and businesses for local people. The wages or profits they receive give them a higher standard of living than they would have had if they had stayed on social welfare. For example, local people from Rathgormack, Co. Waterford set up their own community centre and tourist hostel. The hostel gives employment to local people during the summer,

4. Taxes: The government receives taxes from the new businesses and also has to pay out less on social welfare benefits because fewer people in the community are unemployed. This increases the money the government has available to spend on local hospitals, schools, gardai and roads in the area.

Obviously I would link it with text in the exam, but just for clarification purposes is this correct ?
    Just because in 2008 marking scheme they had complete different answers to the ones in 2012 which is similar to the answer I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

2012 doesn't mention the national economy so I imagine thats why there was also social benefits included. Honestly I had no idea they wanted social benefits when I did that Q, I hate how specific the ABQ is sometimes.

2008 I haven't checked but I imagine it only wanted economic benefits and probably some mention of exporting/ Ireland's image. Though since I haven't read the Q I amn't sure.

Anyway could people who are aiming for high points (500+), post the amount of study they believe they need. My first option is 550 points and honestly I imagine it requires alot of study but I want to be able to have a clear idea how to make the most of the remaining time I have.

Advertisement