Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Liordi wrote:
    When examinations.ie is down betterexaminations.ie is down as well because the links they use are the same.

If the links are the same then what's so good about betterexaminations?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

If the links are the same then what's so good about betterexaminations?

Betterexaminations is much quicker and easier to use on mobile. Examinations.ie has no good mobile site, you have to zoom in to select papers and years and it reloads the whole page whenever you want to switch years.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Gillian456 wrote: »
    I did horrible in my mock chemistry, failed with 26% I made silly mistakes and just got all the information mixed up. Do you think I'd be able to get 80% in the leaving cert if so could I have some tips?
    Are you doing hl? If so it really comes down to knowing all the titrations word by word along with all the definitions, organic chem and oxidation like the back of your hand.
    There's no easy way to do well in chem sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

I did horrible in my mock chemistry, failed with 26% I made silly mistakes and just got all the information mixed up. Do you think I'd be able to get 80% in the leaving cert if so could I have some tips?

Hate to sound mean, and it's not entirely impossible so you could do it with LOTS of work, but the chances of you getting a H2 are very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

It's not impossible but realistically I'd say it's unlikely. You would have to put in an enormous amount of work from now until the exam to push your grade up that high which will probably have an effect on your other subjects.
    Nonetheless, focus on exam papers and the marking schemes!! Note the trends in questions especially for experiments. Also if you get your head around everything organic in the course, you will do very well as specific organic questions come up every year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Ron603

How is everyone set for the orals? I'm still ploughing through the sraith. My Irish oral is on Tuesday, and Spanish on next Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Ron603 wrote: »
    How is everyone set for the orals? I'm still ploughing through the sraith. My Irish oral is on Tuesday, and Spanish on next Monday.

I go through phases where I feel like I'm ready for them but then I also have the times where I feel like I know nothing, I've german on Thursday and irish the following Wednesday. Can't wait for them to be over

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

French is getting there.

Don't know any shraithpictiurs so at this stage I think I'll be focusing on the general conversation.

Haven't really put the effort into Irish so I guess I'll aim for a pass.
    Will have to try and maximise my results through the general conversation since staith pictures are hell on earth.

I'm the opposite - I know the sraith pictiúrs like the back of my hand, but I hate the comhrá. I get so nervous and start stumbling over my words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

I'm the opposite - I know the sraith pictiúrs like the back of my hand, but I hate the comhrá. I get so nervous and start stumbling over my words.

Yeah I'm the same, could sing off my sraiths but I find the cómhra very boring to learn! Can't bring myself to do it!

Mind sharing my some tips for the sraith pictiurs??? Like common phrases or verbs you can use for any pictiurs. Or something else examiners will like and give you marks for? Anything would help at this stage. I'm desperate :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

I think varying your verbs and vocab is important, and to include one or two nathanna caintes would impress the examiner too!
    One or two phrases I use a lot in the sraiths:
    - Ní dhéanfaidh (sé) dearmad ar an (oiche/lá) sin go deo
    - Ní raibh cíos, cás ná cáthu ar...
    - bhí faoiseamh an domhain ar...

Uh what do those things mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

I really like the comhrá but I feel that if I got a S/P that I didn't like it would ruin my whole oral so I'm trying to cram them in over the weekend.

thetalker wrote: »
    Uh what do those things mean

haha that was my reaction while reading that as well :P

The only way I can come out of the oral with a half decent grade is if I rote learn a bunch of fancy shmancy phrases. I can barely string together a proper sentence off the top of my head.

Found this online, there's some good sraith pictiur notes
    https://www.leavingcertirish.com/sraith-pictiur/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

I do mine in the past tense. I find it much easier than present tense.

Of all weekends to be stuck studying for orals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Of all weekends to be stuck studying for orals

I don't mind it too much, desk is facing the window so I have a nice view of the sunshine.

Just think in 80 odd days time you don't need to care about any of that anymore :p

• Advertisement

I had my Irish oral today. It went ok, I rushed a bit through the poem and sraith. But I'm glad that it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I had my Irish oral today. It went ok, I rushed a bit through the poem and sraith. But I'm glad that it's over.

Had mine today too! Got the exact same sraith pictuir as last year :P it went well I think but I felt like I was talking too fast and kept making mistakes and correcting myself that it was probably annoying for the examiner! She didn't seem to mind at all though so hopefully I managed to get a good mark anyways.. really hoping for a H1 in Irish

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Had mine today too! Got the exact same sraith pictuir as last year :P it went well I think but I felt like I was talking too fast and kept making mistakes and correcting myself that it was probably annoying for the examiner! She didn't seem to mind at all though so hopefully I managed to get a good mark anyways.. really hoping for a H1 in Irish

I got a nice sraith, the one about the girl getting food poisoning. I mumbled my way through the poem though. My examiner looked really bored, I don't blame her :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Literally only just started writing up my Geography project and I somehow managed to spill tea on it :eek: Never have I been so stressed in all my life.

French Oral today, went in, first question:

"Vous-avez un document?"

"Oui Mons-..... I've left it outside can I run out and get it?"

He said "ya no problem" but christ on a bike the one thing I had to bring into the exam other than myself and I forgot the damn thing.

Other than that minor issue I got asked "Why do you think the school doesn't want students going downtown at lunchtime?" Which turned me into a mumbling mess for 20 seconds.

In fairness to the examiner though he was fierce sound, really tried to help you out where he could

I don't know how the oral is marked but I honestly can't see myself getting much more than around 65% after today's performance. So I might be waving goodbye to getting a H1 or a H2 in the subject unless I can pull off a miracle in the written paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Had my oral today..went ok I suppose..examiner was fair good looking so that helped a bit 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Spanish oral went really well 👌! Nailed the question about the bus strikes but I froze when she asked me how I broke my ankle at the end of the roleplay...

EireLemon wrote: »
    Spanish oral went really well 👌! Nailed the question about the bus strikes but I froze when she asked me how I broke my ankle at the end of the roleplay...

The exact same happened to me! Did well (I hope) in the conversation, brought in the subjunctive and conditional and everything, but then struggled with the roleplay question...I think I had just mentally checked out at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Had my French oral yesterday. The examiner was so lovely and encouraging, which helped a lot. Thankfully I managed to get some subjunctive and conditional phrases in there as well. I didn't get asked anything particularly difficult at all so I was pleasantly surprised. Not going to lie, I'm so glad I didn't do a document, most people in my year who planned on doing one ended up not bringing it in last minute and the people who still brought theirs in got really awkward and difficult questions they weren't expecting - they were all saying the hardest questions they got were vaguely related to the document and that they regretted bringing one in.

• Advertisement

I had my Spanish oral today. It went ok, but not great. I didn't get a chance to say everything that I had learned because the examiner kept interrupting me, not sure if that was a good thing or not. Compared to Irish examiner who let us talk about whatever we wanted.

The chances of me getting a H1 are slim, I feel discouraged because I want to do languages in college. Can't do much about it now. I was so stressed out before the exam as well.

Advertisement