Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BonesJones1

thetalker wrote: »
    Well got LCVP out of the way now. Twas a pretty straightforward exam.

Anyone doing business, for importance of planning our book has a number of things but Q4 of the 2013 hl paper seems to have given a vastly different answer to its own question imo.

I certainly hope something similar doesn't occur this year.

I noticed that too I think I've seen the same one . The answer just talks about strategic, tactical, mission statement etc . Very odd . I thought the answer would be Avoids future problems such as cash flow deficits and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

I noticed that too I think I've seen the same one . The answer just talks about strategic, tactical, mission statement etc . Very odd . I thought the answer would be Avoids future problems such as cash flow deficits and so on
    Yeah thats the one, it completely disregards what it asks, I really wonder who did the marking that year. I'd hate to have sat that exam.

Predictions on what kind of Q the ABQ will ask?
    I think management activities, sources of finance and stages of product development

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

Management activities are unit 3 :confused:

HR functions are likely I'd reckon

Thats really weird, I was sure that for my mock abq they asked about management skills and activities.
    Maybe I mistook it for HR functions then. Well at least I can do that and finances as well as the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skodaa

Does anyone think a question from Unit relating to Brexit might come up? One of the business teachers in my school is fairly certain it will appear on our paper in June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

It might tbh! It will just look for the impact of Brexit on Ireland:

- reintroduction of tariffs making Irish exports to Britain dearer and less competitive.
    - if Ireland goes through another recession in the future and unemployment rises, Irish people may not be able to emigrate to the U.K. anymore leaving us with a labour surplus.
    - Ireland will be the only English-speaking country in the EU which is attractive to MNCs, meaning Irelands likely to attract some companies that were originally considering locating in Britain
    - The U.K. has a population of around 65 million people, so when they leave the EU the overall population of the EU shrinks considerable. This makes the market smaller for Irish businesses.
    - Transport costs for Irish businesses may increase as previously they could transport to the U.K. And travel straight to mainland Europe via the Channel tunnel, but if the UK introduces customs checks for Irish/EU goods, it'll increase both time and costs

They're just some things I thought of there. They're not very clear but youll get the idea :o I'm typing on my phone so apologies if the layouts messy!

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    It might tbh! It will just look for the impact of Brexit on Ireland:

- reintroduction of tariffs making Irish exports to Britain dearer and less competitive.
    - if Ireland goes through another recession in the future and unemployment rises, Irish people may not be able to emigrate to the U.K. anymore leaving us with a labour surplus.
    - Ireland will be the only English-speaking country in the EU which is attractive to MNCs, meaning Irelands likely to attract some companies that were originally considering locating in Britain
    - The U.K. has a population of around 65 million people, so when they leave the EU the overall population of the EU shrinks considerable. This makes the market smaller for Irish businesses.
    - Transport costs for Irish businesses may increase as previously they could transport to the U.K. And travel straight to mainland Europe via the Channel tunnel, but if the UK introduces customs checks for Irish/EU goods, it'll increase both time and costs

They're just some things I thought of there. They're not very clear but youll get the idea :o I'm typing on my phone so apologies if the layouts messy!

Those are some good points, It will be interesting to see how they fit it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Quick question, say if I go into the CAO change of mind, and remove a restricted course from my list which I have completed the interview and portfolio for, can I add it again at a later date? (before the closing date obviously)

It's not a case that the system prevents you from physically adding/removing restricted courses is it?

I know I can't add restricted courses that I didn't have on the list on the first place, but can I add and take away restricted courses for which I have all the requirements sorted, and which I had on the list in the first place?

Sorted out the above if anyone's wondering, I was told "you are advised not to remove restricted courses from your CAO form at this stage of the application process unless you wish to abandon your application for them" which makes sense I guess.

Only 8 schooldays left buckos, there's kind of a mixed reaction to this in my year...some are getting really panicked or really depressed when they see what time is left, more are counting down the days and minutes until they're free, I'm kinda neutral towards the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

I'm looking forward to seeing the backs of some people tbh. There's some absolute scrotums in my school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

BadBannana wrote:
    I'm looking forward to seeing the backs of some people tbh. There's some absolute scrotums in my school

99% of them I won't Miss in my school...sick to death of it

I think I read or heard somewhere before that, at most, you'll only really have any dealings with about 15% of the people in your year, or about 1 in 6. Between people going to different colleges, emigrating, going off the radar, moving to different places really whittles it down.

There's maybe 2 or 3 lads maximum that I'd like to maintain contact with in my year after we finish up, that's all, very indifferent about the rest :pac:

Honestly you'd be surprised who you'll miss. Every now and then something will remind me of someone from my year last year and I'll genuinely miss them a bit even though I didn't think very highly of them when I was in school :p

My year has cliques but I'm a people person so I can talk to most, I guess I'll miss a few personalities but like I have a solid friend group so I think I'll remain contact with most. It's mad how your opinion on teachers change over the years as well. I'll definitely be missing a few of them

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I've definitely grown a lot closer to most of my year during Leaving Cert year and I think I will miss a good few of them next year. It's so strange only having two weeks left.

Is anyone else finding it hard to keep coming in every day? I feel like I get more done at home, but some teachers really hate us not coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Do what you think is best for you. From a teachers perspective , they probably worry that some students won't have a clue what to do at home so they encourage them to keep coming in. Then there's the odd teacher who might not have finished the course yet :(

yeah there's been a notable drop in people coming into school these past days, with graduation next week its no surprise I suppose.
    I'm still coming in just because it'll be my last chance soon enough. Might as well make the most of the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Good opportunity to ask your teachers questions and get extra help if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I did the leaving certificate last year and again this year :'/ My advice would be to stay in school. Even ask the vice principal or someone could you go to a class to study during classes you don't want to go into. 3 weeks is a long time to be sitting at home in the same room and that's not counting the 2.5 weeks of exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Would anyone here have any good notes on Politics/Religion for the French opinion pieces? Merci beaucoup

• Advertisement

What's everyone doing for French written pieces? Our teacher dumped a load of notes to us today on everything from tourism to nuclear energy. I learnt off a load of topics for the mocks and got very little benefit out of it, next to nothing I learnt off was any use to me.

So I'm wondering is it a valid strategy to just learn some basic vocab on each topic, and write the written pieces in the exam just using my own French?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

What's everyone doing for French written pieces? Our teacher dumped a load of notes to us today on everything from tourism to nuclear energy. I learnt off a load of topics for the mocks and got very little benefit out of it, next to nothing I learnt off was any use to me.

So I'm wondering is it a valid strategy to just learn some basic vocab on each topic, and write the written pieces in the exam just using my own French?

Learn a small amount of vocabulary to get you by for a common topics and then learn some general sentences that can fit into any piece like I agree with this because of this. That kind of thing.

Really starting to feel the pressure now! :o how's everyone else feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Bazinga_N wrote:
    Really starting to feel the pressure now! :embarrassed: how's everyone else feeling?

Feeling grand now tbh..happy wrh progress made but still a bit to do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Really starting to feel the pressure now! :embarrassed: how's everyone else feeling?

Feel ok right now but I know I'll be loosing sleep once we get closer to the 7th. Got to go in confident though and trust yourself with your preparation!!

Really starting to feel the pressure now! :o how's everyone else feeling?

I'm grand. Had a little "Woah" moment the other day but I recovered. I'm not too worried about the exam but the build up and getting my study done is a bit more worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Anyone here do history? What are you guys thinking for Sovereignity & Partition? I'm doing WW2, Eucharistic Congress, Consolidation of Democracy and then I don't really know ?? Would loooove a consolidation of democracy Q

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Xgracie wrote: »
    Anyone here do history? What are you guys thinking for Sovereignity & Partition? I'm doing WW2, Eucharistic Congress, Consolidation of Democracy and then I don't really know ?? Would loooove a consolidation of democracy Q

My history teacher thinks that Eucharistic Congress, Consolidation of Democracy and Sinn Féin and the 1918 General Election will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

hasdanta wrote: »
    My history teacher thinks that Eucharistic Congress, Consolidation of Democracy and Sinn Féin and the 1918 General Election will come up.

Why the 1918 election?

• Advertisement

1 More Day! Dobby is almost free

Advertisement